Total Recall: If you're in California, please vote by tomorrow

It is 6:18 pm here now. Less than 2 hours. I hope that the No wins by a very wide margin.

5 Likes

Thanks (and @Barradeno) ! I can never keep time zones straight in my head, for some reason.

Enjoy!

The rest of us too!

5 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

7 Likes

Looking good so far!

10 Likes

CNN has called it with 61% reporting: No.

11 Likes

CNN has just projected the recall is defeated. Thank goodness.

This cost CA taxpayers $276 million.

So much for Republican “fiscal responsibility”, eh?

12 Likes

Exactly what I did. I understand why page 2 was largely left to world+dog, but it seemed a logical choice.

3 Likes

To quote a joke from Colbert:

60% were opposed to recall; the other 40% were running for governor.

Thank whatever powers that be that this expensive needless stupidity is past us, for now.

Fucking fuckers.

Not sure if this has been shared already:

10 Likes

In a world where the Republicans were able to field a recall candidate who wasn’t a complete fucking joke we’d be hearing a concession speech right about now.

Of course if we lived in a world like that the whole election might have gone in a different direction, so maybe it’s for the best.

7 Likes

We have already established that we don’t live in the darkest timeline, just the dumbest.

Best tweet I’ve seen so far, which sums up my own feelings perfectly:

image

10 Likes

For them, anything that hurts democracy in general is probably money well spent.

4 Likes

There was an experienced moneyCon Republican candidate (Kevin Faulconer, the former mayor of San Diego) who wasn’t a complete death cultist, but the state party threw its support behind Elder. If they hadn’t done that the result would have been closer, although without a non-MAGAt celebrity candidate like Ahnuld the No vote still would have prevailed.

2 Likes

Saw this one elsewhere:

*oof*

3 Likes

My understanding was that the state Republican Party officially decided not to endorse any specific candidate, because they didn’t want to alienate the supporters of any of the republicans and reduce the odds of them showing up to vote “yes” on the recall question.

You can see the number of votes each of the candidates received here. I was somewhat disappointed that billboard model Angelyne only received half as many votes at Caitlyn Jenner. But Jenner was still only in 12th place or so, showing that, as most of us suspected, there’s just not much of a constituency for her bizarrely contradictory stance on every single social issue despite all the free media she received.

https://electionresults.sos.ca.gov/returns/governor

4 Likes

Yes, no official endorsement but at a certain point it was pretty clear they placed their bet on Elder as front-runner in the polls. If the California GOP wasn’t infected with the MAGA prion disease they might have put an endorsement and money behind Faulconer or another Pete-Wilson type conservative and increased their chances of winning the waste-of-money recall they started.

1 Like

Faulconer got less than 10%, so I doubt he ever had any real chance even with an official party endorsement. I don’t think the stamp of approval from party officials carries much weight among rank-and-file republican voters these days. Especially in California where the party has been very weak for decades.

2 Likes

As noted above, I doubt that the Republicans had any chance without a real celebrity candidate. But starting a recall (a waste of taxpayer money that the state GOP is very much responsible for) and then letting a lunatic like Elder run under their banner and suck the air out of their race shows that even the California GOP is now fully in thrall to the death cult.

The Dem strategy of urging their voters to just choose No on part 1 and leave part 2 blank also seems to have paid off, ensuring the failure of the recall and starving everyone else of votes whatever their party just in case. Again, I don’t know how well this would have worked if the GOP was running someone like Schwarzenegger, but with this bunch of nobodies and clowns it worked.

2 Likes

Congrats Cali folks!

run-the-jewels-congrats

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.