Town hall audience was “disgusted” and “bewildered” by Trump, but CNN told them not to boo, only to applaud

Their job is to sell a product. Everything else is marketing.

As with Fox, it’s become clear as day that any joining of CNN with the word news needs quotation marks around the latter.

6 Likes

All for profit media news is the issue, not just CNN

3 Likes

I still remember in college (early 2000s) when a conscious rap group came and played the student center. The chorus of one of their songs was “CNN is Clearly Not the News.” It seemed quaint in hindsight once Fox really got cooking, and a little crigney once Trump started banging that same drum, but I hope they’re still out there, as relevance has come back to meet them halfway…

9 Likes

No almost about it. These people are like shock TV and ratings gold. Networks don’t think this person will actually win, they are chasing money and demographics. Of course for every 10 of us they shock and horrify, there’s 1 who is inspired and this one brings in 10 more of them and eventually they get elected to office. Because these people are so good for ratings they minimize mainstream voices and serve to further normalize the extreme fringe guy. CNN was guilty of this back in 2015 and did a lot to normalize Trump thinking he’d never get past the primary process. Then he did and it was too late to pivot.

5 Likes

I’m done with pretending they aren’t doing it on purpose. These people aren’t stupid, but they are vain, self-serving and completely amoral.

11 Likes

A CNN spokesperson said today that “… ‘news’ is … well, ‘old news’,” adding “We no longer use that term. We’re now in the business of selling ‘eventotainment’, a compelling blend of up-to-the-minute current affairs, trivia, and opinion that focus groups have shown plays well with the non-fact-oriented consumers who make up most of our present audience.” The spokesperson went on to say that CNN disagrees with the assertion that the job of a news organization is to report the news, and stressed that the actual job of a news organization is to reward shareholders and executives, and to create a favorable environment for billionaire capitalists like the corporation’s owners.

The ghosts of Ed Murrow and other famed reporters and newscasters could not be reached for comment at press time.

3 Likes

I don't see you with a fungineering degree.

12 Likes

You should watch a replay of last night’s BBC2 Newsnight. Alastair Campbell on fine form against a Brexit nutter, accuses Victoria Derbyshire (the interviewer) of enabling Brexit nutters by not challenging their bare-faced lies.

A wonderful TV moment. Not sure the craven BBC has been brave enough to put this on iPlayer but it is on Twitter if you can bear that.

In a TV setting, you hear the applause, but you don’t see the disgust,

Then the Director is deliberately avoiding the appropriate audience reaction cut-away shots. Not surprised, though.

5 Likes

I’m sorry, but not much better. If this was their reasoning, that they wanted to have civil discourse, then why have Trump on at all. At what point has his discourse EVER been civil. A Jerry Spring style “chair throwing” would be a god damn step up from having Trump shit all over a woman he raped…

11 Likes

Funny but they call themselves a news outlet… so, it can’t be both. If they are no longer in journalism, then they need to say that.

It’s just capitalism is no longer a good excuse for pushing fascism. I’m sick of people saying “well that’s capitalism for ya” as if that makes it okay. Fuck that.

6 Likes

No one here is saying it is ok.

You seem pretty keen to defend it, because it’s making them money… Right and wrong actually matters.

4 Likes

What was I defending?

You certainly seem to be saying that’s just the way it is, “we can’t expect them to uphold any sort of journalistic integrity, because they are a for-profit company”… so are many other outlets, and others do a better job that mindlessly platforming a fascist.

Being a for-profit company does not mean we ignore the “journalist” part and just shrug our shoulders as the world crumbles around us…

8 Likes

Ugh, is that real?!?

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

3 Likes

Not yet. For now, it’s just parody. For now …

6 Likes

You channeled self-justifying corporate blather really well there. Hard to tell the difference, especially when the real blather is already like a parody of itself. (Really Anderson, how could you say all that with a straight face!)

6 Likes

Wildly off-topic. But a “conscious rap” group?