Town hall audience was “disgusted” and “bewildered” by Trump, but CNN told them not to boo, only to applaud

Just like with Faux News for a long time now; if they’re abandoning journalism, then they no longer deserve the special protections afforded journalists and news organizations. No press badges, no special access, no protecting “sources” in court, etc.

8 Likes

Awkward title for sure, but a legitimate genre. Aka “Political rap / political hip hop”

6 Likes

Rappers that discuss social issues.

Jinx, @HMSGoose

coca cola coke GIF

4 Likes

It goes far beyond a simple lack of decorum.Trump tired—in multiple ways—to illegally overturn an election and have his VP done away with.

And even if it was just a lack of decorum, a malignant man child like him shouldn’t be give a forum on prime time tv, even without cherry-picked sycophants and muzzled detractors.

The media, especially tv, is very powerful. Many people follow what they see there.This is why advertisers spend billions annually.

I wonder if CNN will do Kanye next.

2 Likes

You say don’t but they’re going to. In your shoes today, I would encourage everyone I knew to abandon CNN; it’s too poisonous and manipulative to be of any use.

The corporate agenda is the fascist agenda.

1 Like

The one thing a narcissist really cannot abide by – and has a harder time explaining away than most else – is good old fashioned ridicule. I sure would like to see it.

1 Like

I’m not even sure about that. I guess, given the context, this is good news?

At a time when CNN has been struggling to turn around viewership decline, the telecast proved to be a ratings disappointment, with Nielsen reporting just 3.1 million viewers overall. That was a big boost over CNN’s typical 8 p.m. telecast, but a smaller audience than CNN’s town hall with President Biden last summer (3.7 million) and six previous Trump town halls carried by Fox News — calling into question both CNN and Trump’s drawing power.

(Free link)

6 Likes

Public Enemy is one of the most famous, but there have been many others, like Common and more recently, Kendrick Lamar.

11 Likes

obviously they shouldn’t have held a campaign event for him, and i’d assume the interviewer was happy to play their role in it, and still:

a well placed, “you know they’re laughing at you, not with you.” would have been something to see

“Let the people boo.” Agreed. I must add though, based on my limited direct experience with those favoring the current antagonistic methodology of the far-right, my impression is that any sort of tangible response merely fortifies their position, as the primary purpose is getting attention, and thus any reaction whatsoever trumps no reaction at all. Further, would it be unreasonable or too far-fetched to assemble an audience of reasonable, rational adults who can behave themselves with decorum and keep their opinions to themselves?

3 Likes

At the end of every Jerry Springer episode, he would give a monologue to recontextualize the show’s events as a morality tale of sorts.

He would defend his most vulnerable guests, and implore the viewer to have acceptance and understanding for others who are different. He was well ahead of the curve in defending the rights of marginalized communities. Maybe these were totally hollow platitudes given the circus that preceded his closing thoughts, but at least there was an attempt to end with a message of tolerance and being good to your fellow humans despite your differences.

There’s nothing redeeming about anything Trump does. He starts and ends with hate, and there’s nothing to take away but hate.

7 Likes

There was sort of a big debate about him when he died recently based on that - he had a highly exploitative TV show, but he had that bit at the end, where he attempted to sort of undo the damage he had just helped push…

Absolutely!

5 Likes

In the words of St Friedman, a business’ first responsiblity is to its shareholders.

Does “Respectfully, STFU you POS!” count as respectful?

JFC do these people still call Henry Kissinger “Mister Secretary” :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

When someone says that to me at work I have the option of reaching for one of the volumes of the consolidated companies acts and dropping it noisily on the table and saying “find that in there for me will you?”

7 Likes

The trick is “With all due respect, …”, because sometimes, the amount of respect due is none at all.

3 Likes

6 Likes

… because, having demonstrated that it was seeking to grow the MAGA audience, it discovered that they found that there was already a more MAGA channel for them to turn to. Why would they watch the milquetoast crypto-fascist-curious channel when the real thing is just a click away? And for everyone who isn’t interested in supporting fascism, why would they want to continue to watch a channel so openly willing to give TFG an unfiltered propaganda platform?

Its adventure in pandering to fascists just increased the audience for the openly fascist channel, at its own expense.

7 Likes