Toxic Masculinity: Dude, where are my emotions?

5 Likes

More on Sneako

2 Likes

In David Wondrich’s Imbibe! he has to explain that though the Clover Club is pink, it was in the day a drink for a man’s man in its namesake club.

Freeing oneself from pink’s “gendering” is so liberating. It’s a great color to wear and easy to match against.

Oh, and the Clover Club is a phenomenal cocktail!

4 Likes

All of these men take great lengths to portray themselves as part of the American masculine, working class ideal, despite never working a day of hard labor in their entire lives.

Carlson and Trump Jr are both fond of talking about an alleged crisis of American masculinity, tapping into men’s anxieties over feminist and LGBTQ progress in an effort to boost their own followings.

Forgive me for going full feminist, but this is exactly how patriarchy polices men. The other day I was watching a YouTube video of a channel of men who were doing a reaction video of the Barbie movie and I was struck by one of the commenter’s commentary. These are three burly white men, talking about how they related to the feminist message of the movie about how women are never good enough no matter how they look or act.

This YouTuber mentioned that growing up, He-Man was a masculine ideal for young boys and men and that there’s an expectation for men to have a body like He-Man’s. This would make sense for a guy who clearly works out regularly, but I think the part of his analysis that he missed is that that masculine ideal doesn’t come from women, it comes from other men.

If you peruse men’s health magazine covers, you’ll see overly muscular men, all veiny and intimidating, mugging and preening for the camera. This is the message that men are sending other men. You need to look a certain way to have power over other men.

Contrast this with men who appear on the covers of women’s magazines. There you’ll find men with fewer prominent muscles, often wearing a turtleneck and holding a baked good. This is the ideal that women often (but not always) prefer. The He-Man ideal of manhood in masculinity is an idea by and for other men.

The Tucker Carlson image of masculinity is much the same. None of it is authentic, it’s all carefully considered in order to manipulate their followers. It’s an empty representation of American masculinity. No one really dresses this way every day, except for these conservative media figures. They’re claiming a form of masculinity that doesn’t really exist except in their own fever dreams.

12 Likes
6 Likes

A lot of men look great in pink đŸ©· my daughter loves buying her dad pink shirts and he rocks them with no issues

9 Likes

Pink dress shirt with white collar and white stripes is a classic look.

6 Likes

That whole essay is so good, but this part really caught me. It’s so obvious once I read it, but I hadn’t really ever thought of it in such clear terms before.
Thinking of it reminds me of those cartoons where a group of boys sees another boy kissing a girl and tell him how gay that is. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

That’s a good snip, and so is this:

Fever dreams, just like being the good guy with a gun or some nonsense.

5 Likes
8 Likes

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

12 Likes

from

13 Likes

Yes, and in most cases, deciding to get far away from misogynistic slobs like him. And they didn’t have to concentrate much before deciding, either.

11 Likes

doonesbury-2
doonesbury-3
doonesbury-4
doonesbury-5
doonesbury-6
doonesbury-7

5 Likes

So many words, so little change.

6 Likes

California Passes Law Requiring Seven Day Waiting Period to Obtain Podcast Equipment

3 Likes
4 Likes

The most recent wave of commenters have tended to position themselves as iconoclasts speaking hard truths: Two-parent families often result in better outcomes for kids, writes Megan McArdle, in The Washington Post, but “for various reasons,” she goes on, this “is too often left unsaid” — even though policy wonks, and the pundits who trumpet their ideas, have been telling (straight) people to get married for the sake of their children for decades. Brad Wilcox of the Institute for Family Studies, who recently scoffed at “the notion that love, not marriage, makes a family,” has a forthcoming book titled “Get Married: Why Americans Must Defy the Elites, Forge Strong Families, and Save Civilization.” All of these scolds typically rely on the same batch of academic studies, now compiled by economist Melissa Kearney in her new book “The Two-Parent Privilege: How Americans Stopped Getting Married and Started Falling Behind,” which show that kids with two parents fare better on a variety of life outcomes than those raised by single parents, who are overwhelmingly women.

This may well be true. But harping on people to get married from high up in the ivory tower fails to engage with the reality on the ground that heterosexual women from many walks of life confront: that is, the state of men today. Having written about gender, dating, and reproduction for years, I’m struck by how blithely these admonitions to get married skate over people’s lived experience. A more granular look at what the reality of dating looks and feels like for straight women can go a long way toward explaining why marriage rates are lower than policy scholars would prefer.

“Money is seldom the primary reason” why mothers say they are no longer with their children’s fathers. Instead, mothers point to “far more serious” offenses: “It is the drug and alcohol abuse, the criminal behavior and consequent incarceration, the repeated infidelity, and the patterns of intimate violence that are the villains looming largest in poor mothers’ accounts of relational failure.”

But it doesn’t take behavior this harmful to discourage marriage; often, simple compatibility or constancy can be elusive. Ms. Camino, for her part, has dabbled in dating since her partner left, but hasn’t yet met anyone who shares her values, someone who’s funny and — she hesitates to use the word “feminist” — but a man who won’t just roll his eyes and say something about being on her period whenever she voices an opinion. The last person she went out with “ghosted” her, disappearing without warning after four months of dating. “There are women that are just out here trying, and the men aren’t ready,” she told me. “They don’t care, most of them.”

Daniel Cox, a senior fellow at the American Enterprise Institute who recently surveyed more than 5,000 Americans about dating and relationships, found that nearly half of college-educated women said they were single because they had trouble finding someone who meets their expectations, versus one-third of men. The in-depth interviews, he said, “were even more dispiriting.” For a variety of reasons — mixed messages from the broader culture about toughness and vulnerability, the activity-oriented nature of male friendships — it seems that by the time men begin dating, they are relatively “limited in their ability and willingness to be fully emotionally present and available,” he said.

9 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes