Toxic Masculinity: Dude, where are my emotions?

11 Likes

Needing any qualifier is concerning, since it implies there was a larger one otherwise.

7 Likes

My point.

5 Likes

TMI, man. Way TMI! You just keep your ā€œpointā€ to yourself, now. :grin:

6 Likes

Is it so difficult and wrong and terrible to just listen for awhile sometimes?

16 Likes

Iā€™m not in a position to do it much anymore, but I used to flip that on itā€™s head by calling guys out when they were droning on about something I find boring. Like, ā€œyeah, I donā€™t really care about engines, can we talk about something else?ā€
If they donā€™t feel obliged to listen to me vent, I donā€™t feel obliged to listen to them go on about something I care nothing about, either.

14 Likes

Honestlyā€¦it is kind of difficult. Itā€™s of course not terrible or wrong, but itā€™s hard to just say ā€œoh, sorryā€ again and again when you really want to help. I guess itā€™s an important lesson in empathy to realize that it is helping, much more than annoying someone with armchair strategy.

9 Likes

Iā€™m really bad at just listening :pensive: I want to help make things better for the person venting. I have to try to remind myself to just listen and ask questions particularly when the person is my kid.
I think the dynamic the comic @milliefink posted is slightly different. Less trying to help than offering condescending solutions from on high, implying he is better than the woman. Like her problems are nothing. Iā€™ve seen that in action with certain kinds of men.

ETA; and his insistence she needs his help, when he clearly knows sheā€™s venting. My issue is partly that I need practice telling when my kid wants to vent vs. wants help finding a solution. Iā€™ve started just asking ā€œdo you just want to vent for a bit? Iā€™m here to listenā€ kind of thing

13 Likes

One of the best things my female friendships have taught me.
In so many different scenarios, too.

12 Likes

Sounds helpful indeed. And NOT like what a lot of clueless men want to do instead.

And donā€™t get me wrong, by clueless I do not necessarily mean careless, or unsympathetic. I just mean that it can take a lot of men a long time to realize that another person is venting because they want to get something off their chest, or maybe process somwthing vexing thatā€™s happened. And that theyā€™re not complaing because they want or need solutions right now (most of which theyā€™ve already thought of, thank you).

14 Likes

The flip side of that comic:

5 Likes

high quality GIF

Isnā€™t this just another version of the old trope of men being ā€œobjectiveā€ and women being ā€œsubjectiveā€? That we need men to tell us what is actually wrong in our lives, because weā€™re just too emotional to see reality?

9 Likes

Iā€™m not sureā€¦ I think it could be the flipside in a way, if itā€™s interpreted as a parody of the simplistic way that men often see women who just want to vent?

I mean, guys do often want to jump to solutions, like, ā€œThe problem is obvious-- itā€™s your job! All you need to do is start searching for another job, DUH!ā€ But the woman might respond, ā€œYeah, of course there might be a better job out there, but we know itā€™s not the right time right now for me to search for one, so can I just express my frustration for awhile, and let that out?ā€

Meanwhile, the guy could be thinking, Well, we know the solution is to start searching for a new job at some point, so what are you complaining about? We already KNOW the solution! Which is removal of that job/nail in your head.

His pointing that out would be an example of, as the cartoon puts it, him offering an ā€œannoyingly pragmatic solution.ā€

5 Likes

But that points to the Ur-socialization of women: worrying about everything all the time, never ceasing even after the solution has been formulated, or even enacted.

4 Likes

Not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying that you think women really do irrationally worry about everything all the time, never ceasing even after the solution has been formulated, or even enacted? Because theyā€™ve been socialized to do so?

Or that men misogynistically think of women that way?

And I donā€™t think either the cartoon or the video are about women worrying. The women are depicted expressing pain, or frustration (which is a form of pain).

4 Likes

honestly I disliked the comic a bit because of this. i donā€™t think i so much mind when some one actually has useful input. i mind that people interrupt me, assume their input is useful, and havenā€™t done the listening part first so the advice is half-cocked and/or irrelevant due to undisclosed context.

this happens a lot. iā€™m sure iā€™ve done it myself too some time.

i donā€™t think itā€™s because men have great pragmatic advice and women just want their emotions coddled to though actually.

ā€¦but i do think men interrupt women a lot more than they think they do.

10 Likes

I was reacting to when you said this:

Men in the States are socialized to compartmentalize like this; women are socialized to have to think of everything at all times because something could go wrong, or need a change of plans, or at least a change of priorities, and of course thereā€™s second-guessing after the fact if anyone questions any part of it, etc. Itā€™s exhausting.

7 Likes

I also wonder how many menā€™s mothers have really bad mental health problems that arenā€™t getting addressed. I know a lot of problems in my family came from the fact that ā€œwomen worry too muchā€ covered for really crippling mental health problems that never were appropriately addressed. Men would neglect things to an extreme (say drinking while diabetic) and then write off the womenā€™s concern as ā€œshe worries too muchā€ but then the same women would have irrational panic attacks due to unresolved trauma and whatnot and that would be used to also say ā€œsee women just worry too muchā€ so the whole thing went on until a critical mass of people went crazy or died.

We really need to stop with linking all psychological and emotional states primarily to gender-identityā€¦ but people just canā€™t stand thinking like that for some reason and I really donā€™t get it.

10 Likes

Oh, thatā€™s funny! Definitely makes the case of how the poor guy feels in the situation. The example is a bit overly ā€œin your faceā€ (pun intended), but what can we expect from a guy in this situation, eh? :wink:
I know itā€™s taken me a long time to get Mr.Linkey to the point where he can recognize venting and validate feelings. But leading up to this, there were a lot of those, ā€œitā€™s the nail,ā€ type conversations. Really frustrating at the time, but funny in retrospect, because he really was trying to be what I needed. He just didnā€™t know yet.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s how I interpreted it. OTOH, itā€™s also the futility of ā€œhearing someone outā€ for the 100th time when they wonā€™t take steps to fix the problem. And as @TornPaperNapkin implies in her post, thatā€™s not something that falls neatly along gender lines. Men complain instead of address the root cause as much as, if not more than, women. Iā€™d argue we all do it, at some time or another.

ETA: And full disclosure - Iā€™m a ā€œOK, letā€™s fix it!ā€ person of the worst kind. Not only do I jump to fixing things, Iā€™m also an engineer, which doubles the problem. I like to think Iā€™ve learned to listen first, fix second, but I still get frustrated if we never get to the second part.

8 Likes