Toxic Q-Anon Congressperson Marjorie Taylor Green insisting reps Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib retake oaths on the Christian bible

That is absolutely untrue!!! I have four aunts and uncles like this!

19 Likes

All future congresspersons should have to swear their oaths on a transcript of this idiot’s expulsion hearing.

10 Likes

Yeah, what the hell are they talking about there? She’s obviously full of shit, but I can’t think of any legislation in the past 10 years that they could conflate with how the oath is administered.

5 Likes

She’d almost certainly be able to name Leviticus as well as it has one of the few Bible verses that I suspect she cherry-picks when quoting the Bible.

If I ran for Congress and won (after suffering the massive amount of head trauma that would be required to make me want the job) I’d ask to be sworn in on a copy of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

13 Likes

I never understood the “swearing in” thing. Just say “yeah, I’ll do my job”.

If I were ever elected for an official office, I would require that I get to swear in on a bagged-and-backed copy of Amazing Fantasy #15.

“I swear by this spider and this man that I fully comprehend that with great power comes great responsibly”.

26 Likes

I would want “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy”. I’ve certainly read it more times than any of the others.

16 Likes

Something that no one in Congress seems to remember!

9 Likes

My aunts and cousins are all lovely; but I’m not too sure about me. I keep an eye on me using the mirror; but I’ve never seen me blink. Am I a Reptiliod? :thinking: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :neutral_face: :scream:

6 Likes

She makes Palin look like a Rhode Scholar, really…

23 Likes

Low bar. But at least Palin had fun on her singing tour.

6 Likes

The point of sharing these clips isn’t to shame her. The point is to shame the rest of the GOP for refusing to condemn her or expel her from congress.

She’s a walking pile of human shit and we need to shove their noses in it.

28 Likes

So the whole point of swearing an oath on a bible or whatever seems to be, “By this document that I personally hold holy, I promise to do my duty”

Why oh why does anyone think it is improved by saying “by this document that YOU hold holy but I don’t care about, I promise to do my duty”???

It does not logic.

ETA: Include “swearing on your grandmother’s grave”, “Swearing on my mother’s life”, “Swearing on the heads of my children”, etc. “I swear on YOUR grandmother’s grave” is really unconvincing.

16 Likes

I’d demand to swear on the Bill of Murray.

10 Likes

Seconded.

Remember when everyone realised that reprinting everything Trump said and did back in 2015/16 was a bad idea?

Cast her into the void.

9 Likes

Because they believe that members of the canibalistic pedophile conspiracy will burn themselves if they touch a bible. These people are usually more familiar with vampire movies than the actual bible.

12 Likes

I thought that a few years ago. But it seems they don’t even care about moral standards any longer. It seems to me that the just want to keep a KY senator in a high place of office because half the party want minorities out and the other half think they’re gonna make it big in the stock market once the libs get out.

Guess what…ain’t gonna happen.

7 Likes

MTG is the void screaming back at us. Literally.

22 Likes

They don’t, but some sliver of their potential voters do. That’s how we got the White House and Senate back.

12 Likes

Religious test doesn’t even go far enough. The reason you would swear a Muslim in on the Quran is because it means something to them, whereas a bible is just a historically interesting but inaccurate book. You might as well swear someone in on a copy of Gladiator for all that does. They won’t necessarily lie, but you’ve certainly asked them not to take the oath seriously.

The only reason to push for it anyway is because you think the object itself has special powers on its own, and the only way it is a test is if you think non-Christians are afraid to touch it. Which, I mean, it does in that using it is a symbol of religious supremacy; and Greene very well might think about them. I’m just saying there’s more nonsense bigotry here than test alone would imply.

14 Likes

Indeed, even a sliver of less than a percentage point can swing a lot of close races. The GOP just doesn’t have much margin available to lose.

12 Likes