Toxic Q-Anon Congressperson Marjorie Taylor Green insisting reps Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib retake oaths on the Christian bible

Matthew 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

15 Likes

She really just doesn’t understand the idea of taking an oath on a book-- if you’re a Muslim then you take an oath on the Qur’an because it’s the book of the faith you believe in, that’s where the “so help me god” part comes in.

If you’re gonna have someone take an oath on a book they don’t believe in, why not just have them take an oath on a pile of Archie comics?

11 Likes

Possibly the only honest thing she’s said in years:

…I don’t think.

3 Likes

I don’t know what’s worse her horrific bigotry or her ignorance of the constitution and laws. Which one disqualifies her from civic service more?

7 Likes

GOP: once again, yes, we’re good with this.

12 Likes

The next picture I want to see of her is

9 Likes

The more we promote this woman’s idiocy the more she will become the next Trump and they will call it inclusive because she’s a woman being atrocious instead of just a man.

Can we stop giving her stupid fuel?

Please?

14 Likes

IIRC, Nixon (as a Quaker) was precluded from swearing an oath, so instead he solemnly affirmed (instead of solemnly swore). Don’t know what book he placed his hand upon (if any).

13 Likes

Yeah but then the government would have to remove one of your brains for the duration of your term in office.

12 Likes

Nixon and Hoover both chose to use the words as written.

Deuteronomy is the other book that is quote mined by evangelicals.

Maybe she will remember some of Paul’s letters, as they have the verses that tell you to obey your Earthly rulers (contradicting earlier parts of the Bible). That was why it is so important for them to not accept Biden becoming President, as if they did they would be bound to accept his actions.

7 Likes

Which is why more stories about the effort to remove her are much better. Better to clean up trash than stick one’s nose in it.

7 Likes

I will bet real paper folding money that she would interpret Article Six as meaning that elected officials can be any type of Protestant they want.

11 Likes

I would love to pick my own book. Hitchhikers Guide. With a towel over my arm.

14 Likes

I’m not allowed to use profanity on this site any more.

FourtUntaly there ARE wayS to HOpe LIghtEn up.

EDIT for spelling

4 Likes

Personally, I would swear on a copy of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights, a right noble, totally man made document (thanks Eleanor Roosevelt), that the US is in regular violation of.

6 Likes

I’d take the oath on a potato. After all, as Mr Tulip told Death in Terry Pratchett’s Discworld novel The Truth - “some old woman, she’d said: 'It’ll all turn out right if you’ve got a potato.

9 Likes

Or Russian, Chinese, American or Indian space laser. I’m not choosy - any high enough powered device to render her incapable of any more stupid bigotry is fine.

2 Likes

This has got to be grounds for removal. She doesn’t follow the Constitution. This woman is a goddamn distraction!

3 Likes

Plus, then she would say that the oath was invalid because they weren’t Christian. It’s an attempt to dance around Article VI by adopting the legal position that the founders were four years-old.

12 Likes