Toxic Republican congressperson Marjorie Taylor Greene is angry about space lasers

<self-aggrandizement>
That room that’s briefly shown at 43 seconds? I work in there, some of the time. For that matter, I’m tangentially involved with LCRD*.
</self-aggrandizement>

* Which, I suppose, makes me one of Them where MTG-types are concerned.

What I’d like to find out is where that lab at 1 min, 14 seconds is located. It reminds me of where my wife and I used to work (and where we met), minus the soldering equipment.

2 Likes

If it’s a sin, a lot of people took no notice.

Don’t see a lot of people with “The Power of Cupidity” t-shirts.

2 Likes

i had a similar reaction to the “nazis were basically good people with a positive message” post above that i could only engage with by proxy

even “just” coercing people to hide who they are is a form of violence and harm.

when it comes keeping other people out of power, it always requires violence. there’s no way around it. that’s why we see all the white lone wolf terrorism here, and why now we have people in congress like greene.

the question ( im spouting, ugh sorry ) is whether enough americans really want to go down this road. there won’t be any sort of civil war unless enough really do care so strongly about “cis whites only” they’re willing to die for it.

the fact trump and the insurrection were so incompetent and so poorly supported gives me hope. violence is not inevitable. violence is a choice. people on the right can step away from it if they want to.

9 Likes

I agree. Being unsympathetic to others is a choice. What’s more, being nice to people is actually easier, safer and brings more rewards.
Everybody wants their kids to grow up safe, everybody on the planet.
First step, be kind.

9 Likes

Not necessarily. There are people who hate Jews and admire Israel (because it is a militant ethnostate, not because of End Times prophecies).

5 Likes

The cars labeled POWER OF LUST and POWER OF SLOTH got cut out of the picture

9 Likes

First step: don’t be suspicious.

2 Likes

See also:

And after this, we’re going to walk down, and I’ll be there with you, we’re going to walk down, we’re going to walk down.

[emphasis added]

2 Likes

there is indeed some truth in that.

when people say “black lives matter” don’t take it to mean white people’s lives don’t matter. or, if somebody asks you to wear a mask don’t assume they’re trying to sedate you so they can implant an og billg microchip in your brain stem while you’re passed out.

( and contrariwise i guess if somebody says: i want to destroy democracy, believe them. don’t brush it off as a joke )

first step: check for knives.

[ i hope it’s obvious, none of the “you” above means you. just rhetorical ]

3 Likes

“I’m being told that the #43 car, POWER OF SLOTH, is being lapped before the rear tires have crossed the starting line.”

5 Likes

No. I’m am NOT saying the nazis were just misguided good people. They were evil in the most banal way possible, they did and do evil things and they should not be tolerated in any society.
I am saying that the reason the propaganda worked, and still works, it’s that it’s framed in a way that lets them believe they are good people.
Any emotion can be good or bad depending on how it’s used. Praising people for doing horrible things by saying they are doing them for good reasons-look at how torture is so often portrayed on American TV- will easily convince them that they are still ok people, and that those horrrible things weren’t really so horrible. People don’t like to believe that they are morally corrupt. Give them an excuse not to and they will grab it.
Shouting at people that what they are doing is wrong and they are bad people for doing it changes no one’s behavior. We applaud that when the cause is one we agree with-civil rights marches, protests against police brutal and so on. We are aghast when the cause is white supremacy and dehumanization of others. Does the presence of antifa cause any proud boy to change his mind? No.
I’m just trying to point out a way to see what the proud boys think they are seeing. Because they do not think they are evil, even if we do. And changing their view of the world, if at all possible, will not be accomplished by reiterating “but you’re wrong!” over and over at them.

1 Like

[citation needed] Social shaming is in fact one of the strongest forces for changing individuals behavior. It’s hard-wired into our biology. The problem is that grifters in the GOP have figured out how to program people like a cult into disbelieving their own eyes and ears. They know how to give people a jolt of epinephrine as part of believing what they want people to believe. Eventually, there is a large enough in-group of believers that it overcomes the power of social shaming.

So there’s two parts of deprogramming people: shut off their access to the GOP programming stimuli and chip away at the numbers of people in their echo chamber.

10 Likes

i’d like you to clarify something for me because even after reading all of these things you have written here i have no idea what your prescription is for dealing with someone who is a bad person and who desperately needs to change for the sake of themselves and for the sake of the society around them. what do you propose constructively going forward to shift these horrible people?

11 Likes

Yeah just no.

By definition, you can’t believe your group is superior without believing other groups are inferior.

There’s no way a belief system built on this foundation can end in anything but horror, no “right” way to do fascism. They even did a whole Star Trek episode about it.

7 Likes

it’s wrong to tell fascists they’re wrong

condemning fascism is the real fascism

antifa though, they’re the other kind of wrong, condemning them is fine

9 Likes

It’s really quite striking how the barking mad fringe opinions have gained traction amongst the republicans.

But suspicion can protect you from being hurt. Theoretically, it can prevent you being scammed. And if it can be redirected…

In some ways, it’s like fear. Fear can be paralyzing, but if you lack fear, you may not live long.

1 Like

The presence of Antifa stops Proud Boys from going ahead with pogroms, queerbashings and lynchings.

14 Likes

Well, it’s positively included on the list of 7 deadly sins…so not sure exactly where you’re going with that.

9 Likes

This is exactly counter to what I’m saying. Fascism is wrong. But it has a mighty appeal to lots of people. Trying to figure out why is important. Those who believe in it are not going to change their ways simply through being told they are wrong because of the nature of that belief. I don’t have a prescription for how to change their beliefs. I do know that keeping them from political power is essential. Not allowing them to spread their self aggrandizement is essential. It’s great that insurrectionists are being named on social media, and that they are losing their jobs, and seeing consequences for their actions. I would be interested to hear any of them say that what they did was wrong.
Antifa is a force for good. They are to be commended for putting themselves out the frontlines of hostile actions. But the nazis, even as they get thrashed by antifa, are not thinking “my beliefs are wrong” they are thinking “I must be strong in my beliefs to overcome this attack.”

1 Like

on the contrary, inasmuch as they do get thrashed by antifa, they conclude that fascism is not the pathway to power, status, and popularity that they thought it was

@the_borderer are there any good links on this

5 Likes