Toy movie "anti-business", says Fox News

Naturally -their- viewership is a better class of people than those fools who can be talked into things. Of course it’s everyone else, of course it is. Well said, K_B

I think Megabloks are made by union labour.

1 Like

Quote from the faux-news-bimbo “Hollywood has long been dominated by the far left”. Does she even know what the “far left” is? The far left presses a Nagant to the back of your head in a Soviet prison basement. The far left takes everything you own and forces you to work in a government farm. This is a movie sponsored by a Danish multinational FFS.

Thank god I am not Uhmurrican.

2 Likes

The only “anti” message that the movie supports is to not follow the directions (at least not all the time). It’s pro-imagination. If that’s anti-business, then capitalism truly IS doomed.

6 Likes

The villain in the movie is named “President Business”, so I guess it’s pretty easy to say that the movie is, quite literally, “anti-Business”.

What Mssr. Business is intended to represent, I’ll leave for the time being. I don’t want to dissect the plot of a kids movie for fear I’ll reveal something.

Hopefully Fox’s outrage causes even more people to go see the movie, because it’s one of the best animated films in years.

It does have some problems (it’s very clearly targeted at boys, any time the characters encounter something pink or colorful it becomes the target of punchlines) but it also has a fun story and looks stunning.

Nice.

But seriously, I saw the movie this weekend, and while it does not promote smoking, it does flirt briefly with depicting tobacco use. Specifically, the female lead spits into a spittoon in a western scene, to establish her disguise/credibility. The moment is fleeting and does not directly promote tobacco use. Toward the end of the credits, they state (I assume this is an industry standard clause) that no compensation was received for the promotion or depiction of tobacco.

I agree. Since they named the chief ‘villain’ Lord Business I kind of assumed that it would have the seemingly modern standard “we can’t have anyone else be the bad-guy without protests or hurting profits in some overseas market… lets make the villain an Occidental businessman” vague anti-capitalism Progressive gestures (perhaps to offset the fact that as others pointed out it is a big marketing campaign for toys). Then I saw the movie and… well I don’t want to spoil anything, but when you find out more about who Lord/President Business is then suddenly it makes sense.

But if they haven’t seen the movie then it is understandable to me why they’d think a movie with a villain named “Lord Business” would be anti-capitalist.

1 Like

[quote=“Kimmo, post:12, topic:22356”]

Conservatives, moreso than others, worry that to be exposed to even a skin-deep “inoculation” … is to risk terminal moral infection.

Perhaps because deep down, they know they’re living in a house of cards that’s apt to fall at the first test of reality.
[/quote]
Fox is obviously worried about Hollywood’s plot to pollute Americans’ “precious bodily fluids.”

4 Likes

Yo dawg, it’s anti-business for one business to criticize another business as “anti-business.”

4 Likes

One step closer to my dream headline: “Fox News Against Itself, Completely Misses Point As Newcasters Launch Into Tirade Concerning Their Own Coverage”

4 Likes

Fox News is garbage. Just absolute trash that no one should trust, and no one should watch.

That said, Fox News isn’t alone in mining the superficial for outrage. I think the format and the competition creates a need to sensationalize discussion of the superficial. The left is just as good at that. The reason is that it’s hard to have a lucid level-headed discussion about sub-stratum influences in culture that fits into a television-viewer’s attention span. The superficial is all they have to work with. You can either make people think, or make people feel. One is fast and easy and doesn’t require cooperation, and the other slow and hard and requires effort on someone else’s part.

Like I said before, Fox News is a gutter, but they have people figured out.

1 Like

Conservatives, moreso than others, worry that to be exposed to even a skin-deep “inoculation” or gloss on a movie or book’s greater purpose, however manifestly opposite that cover story is to the author’s creative intent, is to risk terminal moral infection.

It’s probably worth pointing out that recent discoveries about the mind suggest not only that the mind notices every single one of these “skin-deep inoculations” and converts them into feelings and changes to our perceptions, but that we also know from decision science and marketing studies that the effect can actually be more pronounced & effective when it is too subtle for our rational minds to notice.

So, I actually haven’t seen the movie either – and am now a bit more intrigued – but I base my own reactions to these sorts of claims on how the mind actually works. At the level of inferring behaviors & thoughts amongst conservatives and liberals, what we are doing is applying the standard of “associative coherence” (aka internal consistency) in order to formulate a judgment. That is not actually a “rational” process itself, because it is not a process that is actually based upon evidence. Associative coherence benefits from fewer observations: We are more certain, the less we know. If I see somebody driving around town with a confederate flag in one window and a gay rainbow flag in the other, notice that your mind starts to ask all sorts of questions about what is going on. You only know two things about this person – and not a shred of actual evidence – and your mind is already trying to create a narrative about that person. But, the fact that there is no internal consistency between the two things which you can observe interferes with your ability to do that in this example.

So, even if you have trained your rational mind to be rational, there still exists this irrational mind which pops stories into your head all of the time. Those stories are pre-formed. You don’t have to do anything in order to create them. It requires NO mental effort – very unlike the rational mind, which is extremely slow and effortful – and accordingly, LAZY.

I highly recommend that people learn Daniel Kahneman’s model for the mind (Thinking, Fast and Slow). The mind does not work as we like to imagine, and that applies to both conservatives AND liberals.

2 Likes

Isn’t it much more likely that they are just stupid?
Occam’s Razor and all that…

3 Likes

You do with Lego Technical. Blocks can connect through the side holes using a double-dildo shaped connector.

9 Likes

As with many Faux Noise articles, too much snark causes the author to trip up and sound like the type of person Fox is attacking.

Fox isn’t pro-business, neither is the Republican party. They are pro-self and nobody else. Big difference. If they were pro business or pro rich they would favor regulations that exist to protect businesses having their money stolen by frauds like Madoff. They oppose all regulations that might get in their way screwing everyone else whether rich or not.

The owners of Lego aren’t part of their club and the film is made by a different studio. Attacking it will fill the air for five minutes and help some gold coin dealer scam some of their viewers out of a few thousand bucks.

I think they should call for a boycott so that people can protest anti-capitalism by not buying things!

3 Likes

And if subliminals ever were actually employed in the real world, the intended message would be called the payload, and the consciously received message the distraction. Of course the idea that such things exist and are used inevitably derails into a conversation about tin foil hats.

[quote=“ActionAbe, post:33, topic:22356”]
That said, Fox News isn’t alone in mining the superficial for outrage. I think the format and the competition creates a need to sensationalize discussion of the superficial. The left is just as good at that.[/quote]

It took me a long time to realize how prevalent this is, even outside of TV news media, or in fact media in general. A couple years ago I gave up on MSNBC, HuffPo, and various progressive websites since their political “news” was basically celebrity gossip plus frustration and anger, and 80% of it was reporting on what right-wing media said.

A lot of good causes and not-so-good causes rely on outrage to sway opinion too. I used to think that was necessary – like the quote from the movie “Network”:

I want you to get mad! I don’t want you to protest. I don’t want you to riot - I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write. I don’t know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you’ve got to get mad.

But I’m starting to think we’re at a point where outrage is toxic, and we need to drive social change with the simple recognition than we can do better than this.

3 Likes

I tell you, the only thing Hollywood hates more than business is guns.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/14/The_expendables_ost_cover.jpg

4 Likes