Tractor Supply Company ends DEI efforts and Pride month participation to please conservative critics

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/28/tractor-supply-company-ends-dei-efforts-and-pride-month-participation-to-please-conservative-critics.html

7 Likes

Well, fuck. Now I’ve got to find a new place to buy rabbit feed.

Thankfully there’s a Southern States Co-op nearby.

22 Likes

We’ve shopped there for various animal supplies.

And now we’re done.

24 Likes

Conservatives with an agenda are so incredibly fragile. The opposite of a rugged , self-reliant American. They’re coddled bible school drop outs.

27 Likes

So they’re keeping the business-related checks notes veteran causes.

9 Likes

Disgusting. My best friend works at one of their stores. She has coworkers of color, LGBTQ coworkers. Given the largest portion of the local population and the primary clientele, her more vulnerable coworkers have dealt with some pretty unpleasant situations and have felt supported by the local management who had their backs. I’m guessing that policy will see some change too, as the assholes are emboldened and the local managers will likely face pressure to not “make waves” by challenging unforgivable behaviors.

ETA: if you have access, Rural King typically has better prices. I don’t know if their politics are any better but I’m going to try and figure that out.

15 Likes

I’m confused. The TSC monthly magazine they give away in the stores is titled Out Here :thinking:

Your local Co op is cheaper anyway. We’ve managed to shift nearly everything to an even cheaper than the co op local feed store, except for one kind of horse feed I get delivered from Chewy and one kind of chopped hay that unfortunately is only available at TSC :rage:

I’ll have to see if Rural King stocks the Dumor hay

8 Likes

For those of us with addresses they would respect, it’s worth dropping a note stating the decision to never shop there (again) due to their new un-American stance.

21 Likes

Good call. I’m going to spread that idea around to the neighbors I know who are on the right side of history.

17 Likes

They can kiss my “woke ass”. Rural Maine–I will never step foot in those doors again.

Time for the local Co-op.

12 Likes

Great. Doubling down on unkindness and ignoring an existential threat to human civilization, to curry favor with idiot bigots.

10 Likes

It goes to show that all corporate “support” for equality,or for pride month is just a paper-thin layer of marketing bullshit.

The moment that their support loses them money, they’ll drop it like a hot brick.

20 Likes

Then their land and water conservation efforts will be futile.

13 Likes

Dunno if it has lost them any money. It could be that they received an email blitz of complaints, that are really from a small number of people spread across the country, just like the library book campaigns.

16 Likes

The thing is - boycotts and pressure campaigns like this work. Which is also why the right is desperately putting anti BDS laws in place.

10 Likes

I get that they are craven cowards in the face of some criticism from one vocal and visible fuckwit, (and did they make any attempt to survey their actual customer base before doing this?) but you’d have thought that however ‘unwoke’ they think their customers are, if they are focused on agriculture then aren’t farming/rural types more likely to be aware of climate change effects on their livelihoods? Saying, in effect, ‘climate change is just fashionable wokery’ to people who will live and die by it seems like something that ought to have been tested with their customers first.

Exactly!

10 Likes

We had one of these open here fairly recently. They’re not bad – but the Gebo’s store down the highway is just as good, and less expensive.

TSC has tried to move in and replace the mom and pop version a mile away. We all still go to the mom and pop version. They have real hardware and materials. TSC has a bunch of kitschy crap for hobby farmers.

5 Likes

Tractor Supply also owns Petsense.
The store is convenient and carries the cat food my beasties eat in the bag size I like, but it’s back to the other megamarts now.

9 Likes

Same as it ever was.

As @Mindysan33 has said many times, we can’t count on corporate America to “save” us, or do the right thing. We need to force them to do so using the power of the purse. ( And I know you know.)

Happy cake day, btw!

10 Likes