Traditional cow summoning song

And the evening breeze carries the reply across the fields:

2 Likes

I’d actually just given a talk this past weekend on Proto-Indo-European and the Indo-Europeans[, but didn’t want to be all braggy about it, nor did I wish to inadvertently divulge my IRL identity]. We know they had domesticated cattle and a dairy culture, and I would bet an easy ten bucks that we are looking at/listening to something that stretches a lot further back than Old Swedish or even the Northern Germanic split.

7 Likes

This is a topic that is of significant interest to me; I read The Horse, the Wheel, and Language for fun, not for a class. So don’t be afraid to get all braggy about it! :wink:

5 Likes

Cool, thanks for the insight; like @medievalist says, we’re interested so dish.

4 Likes

When I was painting for the rancher east of Langtry, Texas, he simply just yelled “Food!” (or maybe it was “fyew”) at the top of the valley, and the cows just came wandering into the basin. Even across the Rio.
Mind you, it took a good hour, and they were at least a mile away.

4 Likes

Hey; at least that means you have rhythm, right?

3 Likes

Does “SHUSH!” reverberate?

1 Like

Giving genuine consideration to starring in a perfect replica of this video but with me in the flighty white dress and I’m just singing the “Wha-Oh wha-oh” indie rock whoop over and over again and am summoning millenials.

9 Likes

Great book! I can also recommend “In Search of the Indo-Europeans” by JP Mallory, or Ben Fortson’s book on the same topic whose title eludes me just now. The talk was a local TEDx event which I hope will be searchable at their site in about a week or so, contingent on whether or not they found my talk to be a boon to their fiercely protected brand… Without remembering the existence of the book you’d read, and having been put on the spot to come up with a title, I came up with The Wheel, The Horse, and a Horn of Mead, which I now hope won’t offend or rile Prof. Andrews or Princeton U press…

2 Likes

Does it work for two headed cows?

4 Likes

It’s pronounced “lutefisk.”

2 Likes

Look, if you were out standing around in a field for most of your life, chewing grass, swatting flies, stepping in other people’s poop, any music would be a welcome respite to the tedium.

3 Likes

What’s your plan for when they all show up hangry, their devices low on batteries, molting ironic facial hair, looking for kale chips and artisanal water?

6 Likes

3 Likes

a stretch goal for your safe opening crowdfunding campaign?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.