Trailer for a fan-supported film based on Jack Chick's "Dark Dungeons" tract

Half of me hopes this a hysterical over-the-top parody of the Chick tract and D&D scare of the early 80s (See also: Mazes and Monsters) … the other half wants a genuine tongue-between-teeth occult horror movie with the premise that the Chick Tract is all true.

I see JR Ralls is on this thread so please don’t spoil this for me

5 Likes

I hadn’t seen this particular Chick pamphlet before, though I was a ginormous fan of his output when I was a teenager. As is often the case, while reading it I kept thinking “oh come on, he has to be making Satanism sound wicked cool on purpose”.

I heart Satan with all my being, and even I don’t think he’s as awesome as Jack Chick makes out.

4 Likes

Clearly he has extended his life to unnatural lengths through the unholy power of parlour games.

Which brings up question: what unholy parlour games were all the cool Satanists playing in the 19th century?

4 Likes

Amazon says that it’s “$28.49” for a 128 page paperback.

DAMN. Not having access to Google books is expensive

1 Like

What could possibly go wrong?

1 Like

This was the first Chick Tract I ever saw, and it may have warped me more than any heavy metal song ever did.

2 Likes

mostly just dice and card games.

course back then all the good satanists were experimenting with electricity and using their arcane powers to steal people’s souls and put them in film and phonograms. the parlour front was still a budding industry.didn’t really take off until after satanists had corrupted youths with rock and roll, drugs, feminism, and rap music.

2 Likes

What? Not Gurps!?!

I have enough trouble with fitting character concepts into classes, without the trouble of fitting character concepts into point-buy… it’s too easy to misinterpret core rules and make characters who can’t do what they should do with point-buy systems.

Needed two lawyers to parse it? I’m getting the impression that this was quite the careful reading. Much like what is required for your FAQ.

I hope there’s plenty of “HAW HAW HAW!”

2 Likes

Dark Dungeons: Black Leaf Down

1 Like

GURPS
SATAN
FNORD

Five letters in each…five points on a pentagram.
Coincidence?

P.S. There is no fnord

2 Likes

Pffff, I call that a Thursday!

3 Likes

I think this dropped through my letterbox back around that time, when I was playing pen-and-paper. I probably still have it in a cardboard box somewhere at my parents’ house. I thought it was so, so funny.

Back then, it was great to see any representation of D&D anywhere. That scene at the start of ET was a big deal.

I used the cover of this for an avatar for a short while. I hope the movie is super camp and not too ironic.

They had tabletop wargames- H.G. Wells invented Little Wars as a scaled-down home version of the Prussian Kriegspiel.

And why did my browser’s spellchecker flag up Prussian and wargames (and spellchecker!) but not Kriegspiel?

1 Like

I’ve named my character Black Leaf in a few online games just to scream “BLACK LEAF NOOOOO!” whenever I die.

1 Like

Especially since everyone know Munchkin is the satanic one

1 Like

This is EXACTLY what happened to me. Except I turned into a druid and now grow mistletoe for the local farmer’s market.

1 Like

yeah but war games are godly (because war) games of imagination, and equality, and cooperation those are the works of Satan.

No… just, no… you know not what you ask.

I mean I get wanting some of them, some of them are pretty funny read in a tongue-in-cheek way, but plenty are just $@!#ed up and will be offensive regardless.