Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

Aw! That’s great! I love Elliot Page!

9 Likes
8 Likes

The vote was 52-48 though.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

12 Likes

Just came to post a link about this!

Keep in mind, not all those nays are simply because she’s trans. There’s also just straight up Republican fuckery, too.

Pun kinda intended.

8 Likes

Rachel Levine confirmed by Senate, becomes highest ranking openly transgender official - ABC News

Cue much clutching of pearls and “won’t someone think of the children” nonsense. Loving it!!

(ETA: If you click through, for the love of all that is holy, avoid the comments. Verging on Superfund site toxic.)

7 Likes

So only two republicans didn’t vote out of bigotry. It’s clear Dr. Levine is more than qualified for the position, so there is literally no reason to vote against, except transphobia.

9 Likes

A little bit of good news in this legal battle to get trans kids the help they deserve.

11 Likes

Excellent! Now we need this same ruling in Alabama!

7 Likes

This could probably also go in the Transphobia thread, but since it’s had a positive outcome I thought I’d share it here instead. I’m not a huge fan of Fandom (formerly Wikia) and their monopolizing of fan community wikis*, but I do have to give them props for bringing the hammer down on Wookiepedia for holding a vote (which would have required a 2:1 majority to pass) on whether they should stop using people’s deadnames.

Excerpt:

Having reviewed the situation, and in keeping with the evolving understanding of these issues, Fandom has determined that, while it may not have been the intention, knowingly using a deadname in an article title is a violation of our Terms of Use. This is a global determination, meaning it applies to all wikis—including Wookieepedia. Since this supersedes local policies, this vote should be closed and policies should be updated to reflect the Terms of Use. The policy proposal here fits with our Terms of Use. Returning to the previous status quo (deferring to credits despite someone stating what their chosen name is) does not.

(Particularly galling are all the people who argue that using absurd technical terms for in-universe things with colloquial names is More Important Because It’s Accurate, even if it hurts the page’s SEO, but extending that courtesy to actual living authors and contributors in the real world is just too complicated.)

* I acknowledge this is at least partly a bias on my part because I run my own fan community wiki…

9 Likes

And more “elections have consequences” news:

Reversing Trump, Pentagon to release new transgender policy - ABC News

5 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes

Once again, historians are very dangerous people. Never know what they might turn up!

7 Likes

What we can learn from the history is that some people don’t want anyone to learn from the history.

7 Likes

Nikita knew that…

Some people don’t see this as real history, they see it as disrupting the nice, progressive teleology that puts cishet white men at the top and the rest of us in some hierarchy below them. It’s only when people who are not part of the ruling class get an opportunity to do this research and to speak to the public about it, that we get actual history that addresses the lives of the rest of us.

8 Likes

Dr. Rachel Levine: Transgender Health Care Is An Equity Issue : NPR

And she quotes Star Wars!

“I like to quote that sage Yoda from Star Wars . You know, ‘Fear is the path that leads to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.’ I think that people fear what they don’t understand,” she said.

7 Likes

Some unexpected (if still guarded) good news out of Arkansas:

The veto can still be overridden by a simple majority in both chambers (which seems like a really weird threshold?), and given the majorities it got that seems likely, but it’s still not outside the realm of possibility that it dies here.

9 Likes

He’s had no problem with related legislation. Odd.

5 Likes

This is an oddly orthodox Republican thing to say in this day and age. Makes me wonder if he knows someone that is trans or maybe even has a trans family member.

7 Likes