Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

The kids are all right. And for anyone who might say “they just want to get out of class” (which I know wouldn’t be anyone here but still) the walkout took place around noon, when, I think, a lot of students would be at lunch.

9 Likes

9 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes

In other news, 22 states submit amicus briefs asserting that the sun does, in fact rise in the east. Ken Paxton of Texas submits brief saying, “nuh-uh!”

11 Likes

from

8 Likes

I wonder who I just killed?

5 Likes

If there’s a bandwagon around, I’d like to be on it, please!

7 Likes

Ohio Hospitals Testify On Trans Care Ban: “You Trust Us On Every Other Condition, Please Trust Us On This One”

9 Likes

I’ve been researching this a lot for a paper I’m writing for school. As far as I can tell, the only medical treatments that have been accepted by the medical community as safe and effective that states have ever attempted to ban are abortion and gender affirming health care for minors. For everything else, they trust the medical establishment, and tort law (i.e. malpractice lawsuits) to deal with. Other than licensing for doctors, nurses, and facilities, and drug authorizations, there is remarkably little formal governmental regulation of health care in this country. The state mostly trusts the industry to regulate itself, and for tort law to fill in the gaps. It’s really amazing how unprecedented these laws restricting gender affirming care are.

9 Likes

If I remember correctly, adult trans surgeries were considered illegal under “mayhem” statutes.

I’ll take a Quick Look.

Edit:

Sally Barry was approved for surgery in Wisconsin in 1948, but had her operation vetoed by the state attorney general’s office as it would constitute mayhem. She was also declined surgery in California in 1949 based on advice from that state’s attorney general’s office.

++In the early 1950s no British doctor would do an orchidectomy. Both Roberta Cowell and Dorothy Medway sought such. Roberta obtained hers from the about-to-qualify doctor Michael Dillon, and Dorothy went to the Netherlands.

++ In 1956 twelve New York physicians testified that Hedy Jo Star should have gender surgery but the New York State Medical Society refused permission because of the mayhem laws.

For a long time surgeons in the US declined to do transsexual surgery because of fear of being charged with mayhem. Elmer Belt, the pioneering US surgeon, preserved the testicles in trans women, pushing them into the abdomen, to preserve the hormones that they produced and to avoid such charges. Some patients got around this by doing a self-castration, or having a castration done in Europe, before going to Dr Belt. However no US surgeon was actually ever charged with mayhem.

Twice in Argentina, surgeons have been charged with mayhem after sex-change surgery. In 1966 a surgeon, Ricardo San Martin, was convicted of assault. The patient’s consent was considered invalid because of ‘his’ low mental and emotional age and ‘the fact that his neurotic craving for surgery made his consent involuntary’. In 1969 another Argentinian surgeon, Francisco Sefazio, was charged with aggravated assault but was acquitted on the technicality that all of the patients were actually ‘pseudohermaprodites’ and that he had clarified rather than changed their sex.

3 Likes

Interesting. I wonder if there were ever any prosecutions for mayhem or if it was just used as a threat? I may do some searching on Lexis.

4 Likes

12 Likes
11 Likes

Well, I had to order that!:blush: It is fully funded, btw
What a wonder if must be to ask for people to boost the signal and Neil Gaiman does it!

5 Likes

https://archive.ph/GWRYE

Laws banning conversion therapy allowed to stand.

8 Likes

J. K. Rowling and Neil Gaiman are such a funny contrast to me, like
Rowling: Oh, and by the way, I put gay characters in my books.
People: Is there anything… showing that?
Rowling: No. Also trans women don’t deserve respect
People: wtf
Gaiman: Here are some immortals that transcend all human concepts of gender and attraction who use a variety of pronouns, and also some clearly canon human queers.
People: Are the immortals queer?
Gaiman: That is an entirely valid way to view them.
Other people: Ugh, pushing a modern woke agenda. It used to be-
Gaiman: Fuck you

from

Also, Neil Gaiman…

gaimankeyboards

BTW, if there is a better place to put this, let me know… Maybe not specifically about trans awareness…

8 Likes

Gaiman is a true trans ally. I think this is a perfectly good thread for that post.

11 Likes

5 Likes

Any idea what that show was?

7 Likes