Transgender Awareness - Positive News and Stories

DeWine said he talked to parents, trans people, and doctors. In other words he did his best to make an informed decision. And once again we see why facts terrify the MAGA crowd.

5 Likes

Ehhh…ish.

“I truly believe that we can address a number of goals in House Bill 68 by administrative rules that will have likely a better chance of surviving judicial review and being adopted,” DeWine said at a Friday press conference.

He announced that he agreed with several concerns from the legislature and will draft rules for gender-affirming care moving forward – including bans on surgeries for minors, reporting and data collection on those who receive care, as well as restrictions on “pop-up clinics” that serve the transgender community.

These concerns are unfounded. There are already medical standards in place that achieve these goals. The WPATH standards make gender affirming surgeries on minors exceedingly rare. And I’m not sure what the “pop-up clinics” is referring to, but if existing clinics are not serving the transgender community adequately so that temporary clinics are popping up to serve that community, maybe focus on that problem instead of restricting such clinics.

10 Likes
6 Likes
9 Likes

It is important to keep in mind as this topic comes up over and over, that the complication rate for trans gender affirming surgery is at least an order of magnitude less than cis gender affirming therapy.

Their results of the 328 patients revealed that emotional and social functioning scores were significantly improved in the cohort who underwent breast reconstruction after mastectomy compared to the cohort who did not undergo reconstruction.21 Despite this finding, 21% of patients were dissatisfied with their reconstruction or regretted their decision to pursue breast reconstruction.21 Decision regret based on breast reconstruction type was not evaluated.

I have not heard any organized effort to limit access to breast augmentation or reconstruction, despite the enormously higher dissatisfaction rate. Gee, wonder why that is?

10 Likes

From the article:

The authors present two different hypotheses for why regret would be so low among this population. One explanation is that trans people go into these procedures highly informed and highly motivated to receive them
The other explanation comes down to education.

I have a 3rd explanation. Unlike the procedures this study is comparing gender affirming surgery to, for most of us, these procedures aren’t truly elective. They’re a necessity.

8 Likes
12 Likes

What’s your favorite metal song title and why?

So oddly enough, one of the most panned and hated Metallica albums of all time gave me my two favorite Metallica songs: Leaving Me and The Outlaw Torn. Those are my jams. That’s my stuff. I love it.

But my favorite album, Metallica’s And Justice for All, I will be getting sworn in on a 1988 vinyl copy of that on January 10th. I will have that on my desk.

9 Likes

Jamming Rock N Roll GIF by Foo Fighters

Yes! :metal::sunglasses:

6 Likes

Not so much a Metallica fan, but any time a metalhead is running the show, you just know things are gonna be OK!

Danica Roem: Metal Singer Elected To Virginia House | GRAMMY.com

You did know she’s a metal musician, right?

8 Likes

I’m not either, but as long as she’s not a Kid Rock fan, I’m good!

9 Likes

Only three people are, and one of those is Kid Rock, so we’re probably safe.

5 Likes
4 Likes

6 Likes

Believe it or not, anonymous right-wing trollies can, in fact, get sued for baselessly calling people “groomers” on the Internet.

While many Canadians may find this obvious, right-wing social media personalities appear surprised by a recent court decision in Ontario that takes away what they apparently assumed was their freedom to call random strangers “groomers” and “pedophiles” online.

Ontario isn’t a slander-at-will state? The horror!

Other right-wing accounts variously reacted by describing the move as Orwellian, lamenting the death of free speech and even contemplating leaving Canada for good.

Promises, promises…

5 Likes
6 Likes

Aw…

Proud Emma Stone GIF

12 Likes

I am not close to my brother, but he was the only one in my family who had a supportively non-reaction to my coming out. It didn’t bother, or impress, him. He was just like, “Ok.” Which…is honestly the reaction everyone should have.

6 Likes

Most of mine dealt with it OK, some are close, some not, but now it’s not a “thing” to them.
Which makes me one of the lucky ones.

11 Likes
8 Likes