Trapdoor Ravine Spider's butt easily mistaken for Oreo cookie

Originally published at: Trapdoor Ravine Spider's butt easily mistaken for Oreo cookie - Boing Boing

7 Likes

I’m sure I would have tried to pick up this spider if I only saw its oreo shaped butt sticking out from the ground, not knowing this was part of a living creature.

Yikes, me too! I wonder if they bite humans. :grimacing:

7 Likes

As much as I love Oreos, I wouldn’t pick one up off the ground for any reason. Maybe that’s just the OCD talking.

12 Likes

i count ten legs there. are we talking prominent pedipalps or ‘A.I.’?

7 Likes

Yeah, but it’s more that it’s oreo shaped. Its design looks like something more intriguing than an oreo cookie.

6 Likes

Pedipalps. Other photos and drawings of Cyclocosmia truncata look similar, such as those at Cyclocosmia truncata - Wikipedia . . . . hmm, that species name means something like “Truncated cosmic cycle”. Don’t step on it, might end the universe.

9 Likes

From Popkin!

8 Likes

I dunno, looks more like a Hydrox cookie to me.

Anyway:

7 Likes

Make Oreos that look like spider butts!

4 Likes

Is Hydrox vs Oreo on the BoingBoing official list of topics surely to generate an imbroglio? (never sure where to find that fine piece o’ work). i had a colleague who over lunch would never fail, upon discovering someone munching an Oreo, to go into a curious tirade over how Hydrox were (a) superior in every way to Oreos and (2) had historical precedence and (iii) would eventually return to claim their rightful crown. (by the bye, emacs over vi anytime anywhere)

6 Likes

Weird. I’ve never heard anyone claim Hydrox were better, only that they existed first. I’ve never even seen them in a store.

ETA: The story of how both cookies came to be is interesting. Remember Hydrox? Kansas City created the original Oreo cookie | KCUR - Kansas City news and NPR

6 Likes

Don’t be biased: what if some people choose to mistake their cookies for spiders? :yum:

3 Likes

I would say they are positively geigeresque

5 Likes

Maybe the spiders eat toddlers?

4 Likes

The big companies essentially control the shelves at stores. Nabisco has pretty much ensured most of us will never see Hydrox on the shelves, no matter how many times they try to return.

Considering how many different kinds of Oreos there are, being better than the standard Oreo means nothing at this point. The creativity in their flavors is a big win. I’m honestly surprised that the Coke Oreos are as good as they are.

3 Likes

Makes sense really in the US, since few of us would buy a cookie with a name that sounds like a cleaning product.

4 Likes

Kosmos is actually a Greek word that means order or arrangement. So it could mean the order of things, what we call the universe…but it could also mean a badge or design, like how we say an arrangement of flowers. Cyclocosmia is the second, it has a neat round design on its bottom. :slight_smile:

Still don’t step on it though, spiders are good.

2 Likes

I’ll claim it. I had Hydrox when they came back in the 2000s. Their cookie had a sturdier, more satisfying crunch that made Oreos feel kind of mushy by comparison, and the creme had a very slight tangy flavor that made it more subtle and interesting than Oreo’s overt “SWEET SWEET SWEET”. I’d choose them over standard Oreos, if they were still around.

6 Likes

(this is silly getting sillier) if one goes to the current parent webpage of Hydrox here you’d assume that “they’re back baby!” and down at the bottom of that page there’s a link to get them from amazon, go to there aaaaand they declare they’re “Currently Unavailable”, and a commenter down at the bottom of that page says that amazon is just being manipulative and that they are available (done an eeeevil deal with nabisco mayhaps). So Hydrox cookies remain in an unresolved quantum state, i guess. ah well. it’s back to McVities for moi

4 Likes

So that’s why they’re named after types of atoms! I always wondered.

5 Likes