Truck stolen with more than 2,000 guns inside

Originally published at: Truck stolen with more than 2,000 guns inside | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Judging by the first two months, giving Canadians a heaping taste of American dysfunction seems to be the theme of 2022.

35 Likes

No ammunition was believed to be on board, it said.

Yet…

15 Likes

Have the cops picked up Todd Hockney, yet?

6 Likes

That’s a lot of guns in one place, even for America, much less Canada. Was this related to the military, because that is way more firearms in one place than most big box gun stores like Bass Pro of Cabelas?

13 Likes

Peterborough Police Service later on Sunday said in a press release that “more than 2,000 firearms with clips” were reported to be in the truck.

Don’t they mean magazines?

12 Likes

Probably an auction transport. Also, magazines were stolen, not clips

9 Likes

They do. Unless they were full of say M1 Garands or 1903 Sprinfields.

15 Likes

No, it was a bunch of short videos of each gun. Not sure why they’d bother mentioning that, but at least they weren’t NFTs, right?

21 Likes

This was a shipment from the Savage Firearms factory in Lakefield, Ontario. I’d guess about 3-day’s worth of production.

14 Likes

Maybe the truck also contained 2,000 copies of Guns and Ammo magazine.

6 Likes

Well that certainly is an important detail.

I can’t figure out what they make at that factory. Originally it was .22lr rifles. Maybe that is what they still focus on, but in general Savage makes mostly bolt action rifles. They said it was all long guns, so bolt action rifles are almost never used in crimes. So that’s good.

3 Likes

I can just see their boss saying “No, these are no good for us. Take them back”

7 Likes

Second verse, same as the first.

12 Likes

Savage mainly makes bolt action hunting rifles and pump shotguns these days, I think all their handguns are rebranded Czech (maybe?). They do some semi-auto rifles, but those are all .22LR.

4 Likes

Possibly related to …this ?

1 Like

Wow. Like father, like son.

3 Likes

Anyone trying to buy 2000 boxes of ammo is going to face some awkward questions.

4 Likes

President Kennedy has joined the conversation

20 Likes

Rifles in general are rarely used in crimes, with some very notorious examples of when they are :confused: And today, if they are used in a crime, it is even more rarely a bolt action.

Though, if I am correct, that factory mostly makes .22lr rifles (both bolt action and semi-auto) those are almost never used in crimes either.

Of course this is US numbers. I bet they are used even less in Canada.

Still, 2000 guns stolen is bad. I hope they catch them. It sounds like it was a whole trailer full of them. But also if I am correct on what was in there, at least they are models less likely to be abused.

2 Likes