Trump advisor Steve Bannon ordered conservative Republicans to vote for Trumpcare and they just laughed at him

Agreed.
WTF is that term? Web search turns up only leopard print fashions.

1 Like

When the Trump administration goes down in flames, it is likely to take his supporters with it. I would prefer to be on his shit list.

6 Likes

C S Lewis mentioned this behaviour pattern; the kind of people who will complain you are treading on their toes while stamping on yours with hobnailed boots.
(It’s called “entitlement”).

37 Likes

Go Bannon go! You punish those unruly RINOs, show them who’s boss! Come 2018 you can donate to their opponents - that’ll teach them a thing or two!

14 Likes
46 Likes

If he remains in office for more than a couple of years.

1 Like

Pronounced: “crap leper”

12 Likes

All of this over healthcare. Health. Care.

7 Likes

Well, yeah. The conservative perspective is that you can’t have non-humans receive anything that they don’t approve of, and they have an extremely restrictive definition of what is “human”.

26 Likes

It’s never been clear to me where Bannon gets his Evil Genius reputation.

19 Likes

I read “crepe leotard” in the post tag, and figured it was just some weird thing that redhead half-elfs know about.

6 Likes

Aisle five.

6 Likes

Reading back my earlier rant, this is the key phrase. Bannon and Trump don’t know squat about legislation or how health care works, they only know image. The GOP congress-critters know: you can’t pass shitty legislation and expect to get away unscathed, particularly if it’s done as a grandiose public spectacle (it has to be a secret last minute vote before a recess.) They also know the polls aren’t “fake”-- only 17% of voters thought the AHCA was any good-- you can’t run on repeal/replace as a “victory” if people lose their health care and rates skyrocket.

21 Likes

At risk of joke spoiling, remember the Chinese expression “Imperialist running dog paper tiger?” Crepe is thin, crumpled paper and a leopard is weaker than a tiger.
“Paper tiger” in reference to the papier-maché and paper puppets operated by hidden people at the Chinese New Year, and suggesting that while it looked fierce, the US would crumple faced with serious opposition.

17 Likes

In before the internet masses misinterpret “crêpe” as “creepy”.

5 Likes

Think paper tiger with flimsier paper and for some reason, a leopard. (I’d have lots of words on tiger vs. leopard but over-analyzing metaphors in terms of mammalogy is really not the best use of my time.)

6 Likes
7 Likes

I really am pleased by this. Also that Bannon wanted to force the vote so that Trump could compile a shitlist of those who voted against the bill which was political suicide. (As if creating “enemies” lists was something Trump needed to be told to do.) Meanwhile the Kochs were creating shitlists of those who voted “yes.” The Republicans were screwed every which way.

Especially considering that if the ACA goes to shit, it’ll be because of more Republican sabotage, which they’re planning. “Hey, we blew up that popular thing, causing people to suffer, now you, as the minority party, need to fix it!”

Trump’s really good at holding a grudge - he doesn’t let them go. But he’s going to need congress more than they need him, and they’ll have plenty of opportunities to piss him off, given his expectations, and at the same time, loyalty with him is one way - he expects loyalty from them (though I don’t know why), while never having any for those who support him. He’ll happily screw over his “friends,” and people must know that about him now.

“I don’t know why you’re being so rude and swearing - I was perfectly polite when I called for your genocide!”

Sure - you know how much money there is to be made, and how many poor people can be screwed over with health care? Not to mention the “culture war”: all those whores, i.e. women, who can be denied reproductive services - contraceptives and maternity care, etc.

Absolutely. Damaging health care to make it seem like Trump fulfilled a campaign promise is how things work. Building a wall that does nothing for border security at the expense of programs that actually do increase border security, look like he’s creating jobs by taking credit for business decisions made a year before he got into office while advancing policies hostile to labor interests… Even as image, it only works for people who are really not paying attention (i.e. Trump’s base).

24 Likes

A reminder: This is the guy who, during the pointless and unnecessary debt ceiling battles of 2011, publicly urged the GOP Congress to ACTUALLY DEFAULT on our debt. And wreck the U.S. credit rating and currency and economy. In order to spite Obama and prevent his reelection. Yes, he acknowledged, there would be a lot of pain, but "they’re not going to remember any of the Republicans’ names. They are going to remember in history books one name, and that’s Obama.”

And, of course, in May 2016, he seriously floated the idea of paying back “with discounts” on U.S. debt – in other words, default – as a sound economic policy for reducing the national debt.

In other words, he’s a shithead. But then, you didn’t need reminding.

30 Likes

And why wouldn’t they?

Bannon is an outsider; sure, he has some media power via Breitbart, and the ear of a lot of far-right nuts, including actual neo-Nazi types. But that’s it. He has no deep pockets, no political machine of his own, no files full of blackmail material or long lists of people who owe him favors, no allies in the Congress or in the State legislatures, no insider status in the GOP party system, no charisma or celebrity status or policy wonk credentials.

All of his influence is because he’s attached himself to Trump like a tick, and managed to set himself up in an influential, largely unaccountable position in a chaotic White House where nobody knows what they’re doing. The problem with this is that Trump is an outsider, too, with no connections or allies or favors owed; he’s got plenty of money of his own, but he’s too stingy and avaricious to use it (and probably legally prohibited from doing so); and he’s inexperienced, incompetent and clueless.

So Bannon has no official authority, and no actual influence that doesn’t depend on him having Trump’s ear. He doesn’t actually add anything to Trump, and as of now, is nothing but a liability. I wonder which of them will realize that quicker, Trump or Bannon.

25 Likes