Trump and Biden face off in first Presidential debate

15 Likes

It’s wig tape. $70,000 wig tape.

3 Likes

27 Likes

What a goddamn disaster of a trainwreck of a shitshow of a garbage fire.

6 Likes

But it miraculously changed in about two hours:

The url still says “Dow futures slump over 170 points as investors parse first presidential debate.”

6 Likes

The problem is now that the markets are open, they are behaving just the opposite. It’s dog eat dog right now. I advise being verrrrrry careful with playing the stock market right now.

The jobs reports and other things happening this next month may be doctored and pump things up, …for a while. But when reality catches up and the profits simply aren’t there, we are in for another rude surprise. My bet is that we are looking at the weakest holiday sales season on record since WW2. Because of that, there will be a huge correction in late December, like in 2018. We may squeak past a correction in October, if people get greedy and decline to take out profits early. Which will make the correction worse. It would be better to have a small revaluation now and another small one later, but that’s not how these things usually go.

4 Likes

My financial planner echoes that advice.

5 Likes

I’m not sure I’d say anyone “won” that shitshow but Biden lost less badly which is close enough.

Trump is behind in the polls and he needed to change the narrative last night if he wanted to improve his chances. He failed.

15 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Investment planning for the coming apocalypse

46 Likes

I’m sure a lot of Trump’s debate prep was geared towards triggering Biden’s stutter.

4 Likes

:grin: :laughing: :rofl: :joy:

6 Likes
14 Likes

b-but I thought the invisible hand loved austerity?

10 Likes

Trump only has 5 weeks to send out all those vote bribes with his name on them.

3 Likes

I agree, but it may have been a trap that Trump was prepared for “How dare you disparage the memory of my good (black) friend, he died because he wasn’t allowed to have hydroxychloroquine and the bastard scientists who are often wrong wouldn’t let him have the vaccines…” When you don’t sweat the truth, there’s an answer for everything.

2 Likes

This didn’t surprise me at all. 4 years ago, Biden was jogging around the WH with Obama, and Joe’s got a Blue Collar brawler upbringing.

6 Likes

Contrarian view perhaps. I say this not having watched the final 30-40 minutes:

I disagree that Trump acted like a crackhead. Yes, he does act like a crackhead all the time, But the Trump who I expected to show up did not appear last night. He was not the never sleeping, 4 a.m. twitter posting Trump pulling new medical theories out of his ass or displaying his ever-reversing decision making process.

I think if you go back to the 2016 debates, you’ll find he was technically worse in those respects than he was last night. The Trump who Trumpers wanted to show up, showed up. He seemed well rested, defended himself thoroughly and stayed on message - for Trump. He filibustered the debate. He got the key points across that he wanted to get across. Just when I thought Chris Wallace should be telling Trump they didn’t come here (Chris Wallace & Trump) to debate each other, Trump said it first.

Did he “win”, like academically? These aren’t real debates so it doesn’t matter. Go back to 2015-16: Factually speaking, he lost the debates to Clinton. But as he showed then, he’s not there to score points with judges and certainly not with TV commentators and analysts. All he may need to do is show his base that he is still fighting for them.

This is all to say, instead of debating the Trump who did show up, Biden should debate the crazy unstable Trump. To do so, Biden should frequently quote the craziest shit Trump has said and tweeted during his presidency, driving the point home that Trump is a buffoon on the world stage and a danger to the country. Biden should also publicly dissect Trump’s methodology: anything Trump is hitting hard on, is a weak point of Trump’s. His whole family is embroiled in corruption so Trump is trying to debate Hunter Biden, for example.

When they’re talking about healthcare, Biden needs to show not just an ideological disagreement but that (as he did say a bit) Trump is completely out of his depth. He should talk about how long it took just to get Obamacare and that when Trump said “nobody knew healthcare should be so complicated” - that’s one for Biden to look right into the camera and say “anyone who has had to pay or dispute their own medical bill knows just how complicated healthcare really is in our country. This is one of the things Obamacare set out to cure.”

But having said all that, Biden was awesome. He really struck a balance between standing up to the filibuster and crushing it through facial expressions. I am not a “hold your nose and vote” for Biden. The guy has been around the block. He knows the issues. He has extraordinary moral courage and the ability to reach people with whom he’s ideologically at odds. Those are special qualities especially with a growing cultural rift that may haunt our country for another century (if we make it that far). He may be the first nominee in a debate to call out rainforest destruction and anti-semitism by name. He’s no wilting petunia. When I first noticed Biden in the 1980s, my impression was that this is the guy I’d want next to me if I were ever in a bar fight.

Re the Trump-Shunt, per BB rules we are not supposed to make medical assessments, so it would be totally improper to suggest that this is that Bill Gates chip and they’re starting at the top, but People Are Saying.

Amen.

8 Likes

Not fair! The animated part was pretty good! Nothing was good about the debate…

2 Likes

Or fill with water when they interrupt someone.