Trump apologizes for boasting about groping women, says he'll be talking about Bill Clinton more now

Wouldn’t it be a pragmatic subversion of a system in service of the moral principle of justice upon which the legal system claims to be based and from which it derives authority?

Extraordinary people do extraordinary things. Following the rules doggedly isn’t extraordinary at all. It’s rather unimaginative.

What is the legal position for Pence replacing Trump? Could they swap positions on the ticket and still remain valid votes?

I’m wondering if Johnson might have half a chance of wining NM or Utah after this.

4 Likes

No. ­

17 Likes

They can’t. At this point the ballots can’t be changed in most states, which is part of what I meant about it being a huge mess.

5 Likes

I actually trust that she was capable of covertly breaking the law for the betterment of all and she chose not to.

I have to say it is really refreshing to see Clinton-bashing based on her upholding the law and not being corrupt enough.

25 Likes

I don’t trust that officers of the court can decide fairly when to break the law. Maybe if all the defendants are middle class white men, but otherwise things get screwy real fast.

12 Likes

That would be interesting. By the way, if you have access to the Triumph the Insult Comic’s coverage of the campaign, in the most recent show he takes Johnson (and Charo) to the Emmys and tries to pass Johnson off as a b-list actor (to see if anyone recognizes who he really is). It is pretty funny, and Johnson is a pretty good sport about it.

6 Likes

I actually don’t think that would be a problem. Rules can be suspended at the state level as long as federal laws aren’t broken, and there would be strong will to change the ballots in this case, especially in red states.

I was 12 or so when I learned that if I became a lawyer I’d have to defend people I believed to be guilty. So I became a software developer instead – easier on the conscience. This is our legal system. Call it immoral or whatever you want I guess. But public defenders are a service to the country, not immoral evil monsters.

Can someone post a link to what she actually said to the girl in court? I am sure some public defenders say things many wouldn’t – there are boundaries of all sorts – and the judge is there to make sure nobody gets carried away in defending their client. But if people want to hold this against her at least know what was said.

12 Likes

What is so great about the law?

Not the ideas of justice, but the actual legal code.

You guys all sound like bizarro NRA weirdos with your hypothetical societal collapse, avoidance of the ugly answers, and this off and on adherence to notions that smell like tradition and heritage. Which is fucking hillarious from people who are progressive but don’t seem to want to change things.

Fuck the broken system. If you’re a good and moral person it is your imperative to do good with your eyes open and to disrupt all broken institutions that victimize people using covert or overt means to the best of your ability.

The immoral and bad people built, maintain, and control this system you’re supporting. Every social progress we have had was because someone started to Sabotage the gears and did an original thing for the right reasons.

I understand the fear “Well if everyone does that the bad people might make it worse.” They fucking already are and actual liberal progressives are losing because we’re playing by the Geneva Convention our enemy drafted and ignore.

Have faith that there are more good people than bad people, because if there aren’t then who the fuck cares and lets all die.

[quote=“d_r, post:133, topic:87048”]
By the way, if you have access to the Triumph the Insult Comic’s coverage of the campaign, in the most recent show he takes Johnson[/quote]
OK, there is a bit of it online:

I watched the full show last night, I laughed so hard at a couple of points that I scared my dog.

1 Like

Does it have to be attached? What if I keep one I … Found … In a box somewhere. Does that make me superior?

5 Likes

Without Clinton or another lawyer doing the job of defense counsel “zealously within the bounds of the law,” no conviction would be valid. The most a person in Clinton’s position could potentially* do is pass the burden of the defense to another lawyer. What’s ethical about that? Either the next lawyer has the same discomfort with the case, in which case, nothing achieved, or it goes to someone who has no reservations, which can only make things worse for the victim.

Criminal defense often is a burden for appointed counsel, emotionally and financially. That’s why in many jurisdictions that do not have adequate public defenders, it’s not voluntary. In that situation, shirking the duty is freeloading.

*As others have mentioned, getting out of the representation might well have required drastic action.

10 Likes

btw, everyone is acting like her treatment of the kid is obvious because it seems effective.

Well making the jury think you’re possibly a pedophile might be convenient and therefore a good strategy for a lawyer and as long as they can do that w/o breaking the law are we cool with calling that person “good”?

my faith in humanity is really low right now. You people are all coming off as tremendously moral relativists.

You are showing a fundamental misunderstanding of the adversarial system of law. Under the US system, which is adversarial, a defense attorney who does anything shy of their best to defend their client has failed their client, failed the system, and, if it can be shown that they did so with intent, is open to being fined, jailed, and disbarred.

As to whether she’s a morally good person, that has absolutely nothing to do with her actions as a defense attorney defending her client. I think most people would have a very difficult time supporting every action of an effective lawyer and politician over a career spanning decades. That’s not a cop out. That’s a reality check.

17 Likes

Hell with Trump dropping out! Lose Pence instead:

Trump / Cosby 2016!

7 Likes

Then they shouldn’t have let random members of the public vote for their leader.

I’m much more concerned that you give his opponent a free pass for saying that bankers are best positioned to know how the industry should be regulated. And all the other shit she’s pulled re: Bernie, Goldman-Sachs, etc., etc.

Mod note: Stay on topic

8 Likes