Trump apologizes for boasting about groping women, says he'll be talking about Bill Clinton more now

[quote=“d_r, post:133, topic:87048”]
By the way, if you have access to the Triumph the Insult Comic’s coverage of the campaign, in the most recent show he takes Johnson[/quote]
OK, there is a bit of it online:

I watched the full show last night, I laughed so hard at a couple of points that I scared my dog.

1 Like

Does it have to be attached? What if I keep one I … Found … In a box somewhere. Does that make me superior?

5 Likes

Without Clinton or another lawyer doing the job of defense counsel “zealously within the bounds of the law,” no conviction would be valid. The most a person in Clinton’s position could potentially* do is pass the burden of the defense to another lawyer. What’s ethical about that? Either the next lawyer has the same discomfort with the case, in which case, nothing achieved, or it goes to someone who has no reservations, which can only make things worse for the victim.

Criminal defense often is a burden for appointed counsel, emotionally and financially. That’s why in many jurisdictions that do not have adequate public defenders, it’s not voluntary. In that situation, shirking the duty is freeloading.

*As others have mentioned, getting out of the representation might well have required drastic action.

10 Likes

btw, everyone is acting like her treatment of the kid is obvious because it seems effective.

Well making the jury think you’re possibly a pedophile might be convenient and therefore a good strategy for a lawyer and as long as they can do that w/o breaking the law are we cool with calling that person “good”?

my faith in humanity is really low right now. You people are all coming off as tremendously moral relativists.

You are showing a fundamental misunderstanding of the adversarial system of law. Under the US system, which is adversarial, a defense attorney who does anything shy of their best to defend their client has failed their client, failed the system, and, if it can be shown that they did so with intent, is open to being fined, jailed, and disbarred.

As to whether she’s a morally good person, that has absolutely nothing to do with her actions as a defense attorney defending her client. I think most people would have a very difficult time supporting every action of an effective lawyer and politician over a career spanning decades. That’s not a cop out. That’s a reality check.

17 Likes

Hell with Trump dropping out! Lose Pence instead:

Trump / Cosby 2016!

7 Likes

Then they shouldn’t have let random members of the public vote for their leader.

I’m much more concerned that you give his opponent a free pass for saying that bankers are best positioned to know how the industry should be regulated. And all the other shit she’s pulled re: Bernie, Goldman-Sachs, etc., etc.

Mod note: Stay on topic

8 Likes

That’s probably true. As a non-banker I wouldn’t know where to begin on regulating a bank, other than stamping my foot and saying “stop breaking the economy.”

5 Likes

They’re pretty much the same thing.

Trump is the candidate of the redpillers, gators, MRAs, the idiots behind “elevatorgate” and every other pathetic little misogynistic creep that ever befouled the internet. Mixed in with their natural allies, the old school Klansmen.

Fortunately, as always:

…but also as always, they’re likely to do plenty of damage on their way down. Y’gotta deal with your fascists before they become a major force if you want to avoid that.

13 Likes

The more you have, the more superiority.

1 Like

There’s very little chance it’d happen since Trump would have to do a thing completely out of character and try to do something that makes him look incredibly bad, with no opportunity to save face, merely for the benefit of others with no personal benefit from it, and acknowledge the a serious personal moral failure, which he never does. But were the near-impossible to happen, the sheer chaos of a GOP candidate stepping down only a few weeks before the election would sink the GOP this election season. They might be able to get the ballots shuffled in short order in many states, but each state has their own rules, it wouldn’t be hard to slow things down in courts to the point of impossibility, there would be various parties who would be likely to be willing to work against late changes, and this late there’s a solid chance Pence would lose all EC votes in some swing states. That kind of change that late has never happened before, and the sheer unchartedness of it all would ensure a massive mess. Also what base there is t this point is behind Trump at this point, introducing the new guy a month in advance with maybe a couple weeks of a campaign may work for the GOP faithful, but the faithful decide primaries, not elections - the undecideds do that.

3 Likes

I suspect a lot of Trumpistas would write him in if he were removed from the ticket, too. Or just not vote.

3 Likes

Yep, there are a lot of die-hards energized by Trump, not Pence. Getting those people to hop over in very short order to a new guy who is not their type of Strongman, and has been cool on backing the crazy promises Trump’s been making (and pretending to not be making them at all in the debate). That would make for a special kind of challenge for the most energized base.

3 Likes

They have kept doubling down on the crazy when they lost because they weren’t ‘conservative’ enough and it is what the base wanted. Well they can lump it. They got what they were going for finally. The sooner the party implodes the better.

6 Likes

IT’S ALL OGRE!! THE GOP WILL NEVER RECOVER!

2 Likes

“I suppose Old Man Trump knows just how much racial hate he stirred up in the bloodpot of human hearts” - Woody Guthrie

4 Likes

[quote=“nemomen, post:171, topic:87048”]
They might be able to get the ballots shuffled in short order in many states, but each state has their own rules, it wouldn’t be hard to slow things down in courts to the point of impossibility, there would be various parties who would be likely to be willing to work against late changes[/quote]
Probably not; while some Sanders supporters might not believe this, state Democratic officials are generally honorable enough that they would support a rules change to let a Republican candidate on the ballot.

Also what base there is t this point is behind Trump at this point

Sure, but they don’t dislike Pence, and they hate Clinton.

1 Like

Fortunately there’s little to suggest we’ll have to find out.