Trump asked for mail-in ballot for Florida’s Tuesday primary election, he and Melania to vote by mail

I’d go with “flesh golem.”

2 Likes

It is not often that English is inadequate. But I’m sure there is at least a very long compound German word for him. Probably translates as ‘person who must be hit very hard and violently in the face with a baseball bat every time they take a breath

8 Likes

History isn’t over yet - we can still win. Everyone needs to volunteer to make the election successful despite the cheating by the GOP. Political organizations are the sinew of resistance, join now so we are organized if there is election theft. Remember the Continental Congress started off as an advocacy group speaking out against the Stamp act - sending George Washington out to battle grew from that.

3 Likes

Complete your ballot. Hand-carry it to your local City Hall or Courthouse.

6 Likes

80 Days 15 Hrs …

4 Likes

Probably the best option for those who get their ballots too close to election day.

1 Like

Anyone with a brain in their head could see for at least the last three months that Trump was going to try and undermine voting by mail. And Democratic leadership did fuck-all. They sat on their hands, because they are, as a group, fucking terrified of doing anything other than responding point by point to things Trump does with disappointment and stern looks.

Now, yet again, they are stuck playing defense to an obvious play by Trump, and the best they can hope for at this point is to mitigate some of the damage. Goddammit.

5 Likes

It’s not like they are even doing anything else. They could at the very least pay attention.

I am so angry.

2 Likes

Just wait for all the smarmy op-eds from the genteel neo-liberals scolding you for being angry and not having their understanding of the Constitution. If you were smart like they were, you’d know that the rules and the institutions are going to make sure that Trump doesn’t steal this election. Trump can’t just ignore the votes he doesn’t want to count–the Constitution doesn’t permit it, dummy!

5 Likes

What could they have done three months ago? What more could they be doing now?

Impeach him - again? Do you think the senate would have done anything?

Pass a house bill protecting the Postal Service? That and $4 would get a coffee at Starbucks. The senate isn’t going to do anything about it.

Hold hearings where they grill the postmaster general? What would that accomplish?

I don’t think there is much within their powers as granted that they can do.

Yeah. Trump is gunning for the Postal Service, Social Security, and unemployment. He’s stealing as much as he can for him and his friends in boldly transparent moves. The election is the last legal chance at stopping him; of course he is going to cheat, lie, and steal to stop it.

4 Likes

They should have been spending time and resources waging a public relations campaign in favor of beefing up the USPS in light of the pandemic, making clear that it was necessary for a lot of elderly people relying on it for medication & necessities, and introducing bill after fucking bill to shore it up.

Would it have headed all of this off? Maybe not. But at least they would have been in a position of being the ones who set the stage instead of just responding fecklessly.

If you know someone is intent on burning down your house, I’m not sure I’d advise sitting there until the flames are licking the windows to do something about it, nor would I really respect the firefighters sitting there idle watching the gas be poured and kindling stacked if they made the excuse “what do you expect us to do about it!? We don’t have enough water to put it all out!”

7 Likes

That’s an AWESOME idea. I’m taking my kiddos out on Saturday to run the weekly errands and you just added one to my list. Good on you!

11th-doc-this|nullxnull

But I’ll add that the major things that haunt us are not really new, but are extensions of the same problems we’ve had, since our inception at least.

7 Likes

It kills me that the Dems have not employed a Lincoln Project campaign of their own.

6 Likes

I hope the lefty retirees, uni students and cooler headed members of the military and their veterans will do just that.

2 Likes

Technically, I have words that would do an adequate job; unfortunately, I don’t have the right organs or mouth-parts to speak said words, and I’m banned in 23 states and the EU from using those words; something about awakening The Great Old Ones from their slumber… although that might not be a bad thing if this year keeps going the way it is…

5 Likes

Oh just effing do it, FFS. How much worse could it get? :wink:

6 Likes

This is what is so maddening about the AP and all other serious, adult media outlets. This is not hypocrisy on the Trump syndicate’s part, it is a very deliberate tactic designed to demoralize and sow cognitive dissonance. Not only is it important to trash a pillar of American freedom, it’s even more important to show that they can then avail themselves of it.

I have yet to see serious, adult news outlets point out this strategy, they all adopt this phony, gee-whiz, “wow, this guy isn’t even playing by his own rules! He sure is a hypocrite!” and not analyzing it any further than that.

If you study totalitarian leaders, you will see that they do this constantly, saying one thing on a Monday, then the opposite on a Tuesday, just to keep everyone in a state of shock and chaos, all the while making it clear that they can do what they want without regard to their stated, shifting rules.

Pretty much what you would expect from a transnational crime syndicate masquerading as a government.

3 Likes

Precisely. They have exactly two choices, neither of which is palatable:

1. Continue to work within the rules and institutions, thus allowing the corruption to continue unabated, or
  2. Work outside the rules and institutions as the current administration/crime family is doing, thus helping to further undo those institutions.

I suppose it’s up to each of us to determine which option (if either) has a chance in hell of returning the US to an exemplar nation, but if I were a betting man, I wouldn’t be shoveling money on 1).

2 Likes

oh! you mean like topless Russian newscasters?

2 Likes