Trump bizarrely orders halt to W.H.O. funding amid coronavirus pandemic

And which ones are those?

I’d love to see Canada offer to send election monitors. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

So does WHO have a gofundme yet? That seems to be the way the U.S. pays for health care nowadays.

2 Likes

Watch WHO advisor answering to official Hong Kong TV broadcaster journalist when question about Taiwan is raised.
“Wait, I can’t hear you, I’m going into a tunnel… I’m loosing you”
Childish answer from WHO official putting politic before saving life.
WHO delayed all information from China without no way to check any of the figures.

It is an absolute shame that the WHO has barred Taiwan for three major reasons.

First, there is the humanitarian aspect of barring an island of 23.7 million people from a global multilateral organisation that oversees international public health.

Second, there is the global health cost to excluding a nation that has significant viral epidemic expertise gained from SARS in 2003, a strong medical research sector, and one of the world’s best health systems. This deprives countries around the world of being able to access and benefit from Taiwan’s medical knowledge and vice versa.

Third, by allowing China to dominate the matter of Taiwan’s exclusion, this in effect politicises the WHO’s management of global health and hampers it from properly dealing with outbreaks, which causes the loss of lives and jobs.

9 Likes

But do they have a choice? The WHO is just an NGO and plenty of governments have folded to China.

1 Like

Should any Government give funding to a NGO who politicize her access to information in such pandemic time?

3 Likes

This might not be the time, but the Cascadia flag needs a real overhaul.

2 Likes

Do you think we’d be better off if we just shut down the WHO in the midst of a pandemic?

Or do you expect the WHO to do what Governments failed to do themselves for decades now?

Agreed. I wonder, what response by the WHO would you have recommended that would have led to a better overall outcome?

2 Likes

Fucking hell. Stopping funding to the fucking WHO IN THE MIDDLE OF A GLOBAL PANDEMIC. The one time that the whole world desperately needs the WHO.

This is more than cartoonishly villainous. In a cartoon it would look unrealistically callow and evil.

Like, literally fucking supervillain evil.

13 Likes

The thing is, Taiwan is just the most famous of the many defacto nations out there that are nations in every reasonable way except that more powerful nations like to pretend they don’t exist. Taiwan just looks special because it is one we in the West support.

9 Likes

9 Likes

For crying out loud.

Actually, Taiwan did better by NOT following WHO recommendations. By shutting down their border with China way faster than others, by testing and tracing on large scale. Not so much on the home quarantine.

WHO have shows very little interest in public wealth there, following blind eye what China was telling them to do.
I’m coming from a medical family and WHO had my ultimate respect.
But living in China gave me a complete shock when I heard that they will delay they announcement when all started. I was clear at the time that it was way bigger than the official news was telling about. Social media were full of video with people dying at home being refused to access any hospital.

WHO can make mistake based on wrong numbers. But not able to check anything from China and removing Taiwan from the equation was a deadly mistake that many will pay.

Look how long it took WHO to start talking about wearing mask. It’s just a joke. Wearing Masks start to be mandatory in China in early February.

WHO should start to wonder why they were not allow to check anything from China, and allow any country access to information.
This is not something they are doing right now.

8 Likes

So they should not have access to WHO information?
What is the concept of a NGO if it works as a GO?

3 Likes

The WHO is not a non-government organisation. It is a UN agency.

4 Likes

Announcing the cut in funding on Tuesday, Trump accused the WHO of failing to send its experts to the source of the outbreak to gather samples. That failure decisively set back the effect to contain the pandemic, he claimed.

In fact Beijing blocked a WHO delegation from visiting Wuhan in the first weeks of the outbreak. The WHO director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, had to fly to Beijing to meet Xi Jinping on 29 January to negotiate entry and information sharing. A WHO team was allowed to visit Wuhan on 22 February. Tedros has been criticised for his flattery of Xi and the Chinese response, in the face of Beijing’s obstructionism and cover-up attempts. His defenders said that such diplomacy was the price for entry.

Trump did more than his own fair share of Xi flattery. On 24 January, the president tweeted “China has been working very hard to contain the coronavirus … The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency.”

8 Likes

Sorry, my bad.
Doe it make it right to cut Taiwan out?
Does the way this adviser stops the interview by arguing he have bad connection is right? He is 5 or something? This is the kind of person I should trust my health with?

3 Likes

No, it just explains why Taiwan is cut out.

2 Likes

In an article titled (translated) Scapegoat WHO: Wrecking Ball from Trump’s Glass House from the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung is a chart showing the progress of covid-19 in select countries from the date of the first occurrence in each country.
This graph needs to be shoved in Trump’s face every time he mentions how he ‘did everything right.’

4 Likes

Those are songs, right? Who sung them all

3 Likes