Trump bullied his way into that "Home Alone 2" cameo, says film's director

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/14/trump-bullied-his-way-into-that-home-alone-2-cameo-says-films-director.html

5 Likes
35 Likes
14 Likes

ScarceNewDromaeosaur-small

22 Likes

Why the hell did anyone cheer Trump appearing on screen? He was just some sleazy real estate developer at the time. At least, as far as I was aware of him, that’s all I knew about him.

19 Likes

dVDJiez

4 Likes

He was in a Home Alone movie and didn’t take a paint bucket to the face?

22 Likes

Because of his grumpy performance, perhaps? It’s as if he wanted to do it but didn’t actually want to make the effort of doing it, which is…typical Donald Trump, come to think if it.

10 Likes

He was kind of a weird folk hero back then.

People in New York pretty much universally hated him, but outside of that bubble he was mostly known as this wealthy and successful entrepreneur who owned a lot of flashy buildings with his name on them because that’s all they saw on TV (and he was on TV all the damn time, especially if you watched a lot of low-brow TV like gossip shows and such).

Trump is definitely not a smart man, but he’s very good at manipulating the media and has spent decades trying to cultivate a certain image of himself.

33 Likes

Columbus should pull a Lucas and re-jig the scene so Trump is replaced by Obama - or maybe just digitally change his wardrobe to an orange jumpsuit.

29 Likes

Because at the time, he was just seen as some harmless tabloid celebrity rather than the ultra-racist political figure that he is today. I doubt most of the public was aware of his sleeze back then, or they didn’t think it mattered all that much. Which should tell you something about celebrity and the public at the time, as I think this was after the Central Park Five stuff… I think at least.

Also, what @ficuswhisperer said… I remember him being all over that show Life Styles of the Rich and Famous with Robin Leach, for example…

23 Likes

Yeah this was after he took out a full page ad calling for the execution of children who hadn’t yet been tried. I cannot wait for the day that I never have to see or hear him again

25 Likes

Which is weird, because every evil real estate developer in film from the early 80s through the 90s was basically a riff on Trump. (My personal favorite in that vein is “The Last Dragon”).

16 Likes

I thought so. I’m uncertain how much national attention that case got at the time? Now, a racially charged case like this tends to be national news. I think less so back then, though I’m guessing it was covered extensively in NYC?

10 Likes

I think it was mostly just “hey, I recognize that celebrity cameo!”

10 Likes

Aside from being way old news, there’s no longer any reason to rehash old T**** shit.

6 Likes

People’s favorite character from Star Wars is Darth Vader, who is a mass-murdering semi-human warlock. (And he was a favorite before he had debatably humanising qualities). Same with Cruella de Ville, Alexis Carrington-Colby, etc.

If you don’t distinguish between reality and fiction, there is literally no difference between liking and hating a character; the only metric is attention. True, this explanation would suggest that Turmp’s political supporters are imbeciles, .

14 Likes

If I were the director, I would have film a couple of additional shots as follows (once finished with the Trump Cameo):

(Trump off scene)

Kevin McCallister: “Uh, that person I was just talking to, he really gives me the creeps.”

Security Guard: “Yeah, you are the third kid to have reported him. I think he is a pedo; I’ll call the cops on him and have him removed from the property. Thanks for letting us know.”

(Trump off scene)

Kevin McCallister: “Uh, that person I was just talking to, he really gives me the creeps.”

Security Guard: “Yeah, you are the third kid to have reported him. Even though he is my boss, I am creeped out by him too. My cousin has a restraining order against him for uh, inappropriate behavior.”

10 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how to convey that the Trump character is just a mentally ill homeless man who believes he owns the hotel. Maybe splice in some EMTs at the end of the scene, taking him off to the booby hatch.
hudsucker99

2 Likes

4 Likes