Trump closes out campaign with inspiring, poignant message of hate for Jews

Well, I might have given more credence to his advice as being anything other than xenophobia if he hadn’t, say, confiscated Star Trek novels from a 13 year old and destroyed them in front of said child, on the logic that they were goyishe in origin. Same thing happened to the Space Jam movie soundtrack CD that I would listen to during recess.

So, yeah. There’s that.

14 Likes

My grand-uncle was a Kapo of the Lodz Ghetto. He and my grandfather never reconciled in their lifetimes, and my grandfather stated that the only reason he was able to smuggle in food for the Czestochowa labor camp’s inmates, which the survivors all credited him for keeping them alive, was because his brother wasn’t there.

15 Likes

Yep, when they stopped doing their masters’ bidding they went back to being like everyone else, at least in the fascists’ eyes. Everyone else, not so much.

4 Likes

Speaking of serious slurs, here’s a pretty major one…

13 Likes

A slur is not necessarily a false damaging allegation (that would be a slander). “Kapo” covers the concept of a Jew serving the interests of someone pandering to anti-Semites in a way that terms like “collaborator” or “Quisling” don’t quite capture. Members of ghetto Judenrats were looking out for more than just their own narrow interests, so that doesn’t work either.

Some, especially those directly affected, might argue about people like Fleischer that “once a Kapo, always a Kapo.” I try to be more generous with this coward (or opportunist – difficult to settle on which he is). If he follows up on his renunciation with concrete actions to keep the alt-right and white nationalists out of the GOP after their loss in this Presidential election he might yet redeem himself.

6 Likes

Please to note the implication that there is a history of antisemitism from Clinton.

11 Likes

What, you don’t take the word of Roseanne Barr or outlets like Breitbart and WorldNetDaily seriously, like Max apparently does?

6 Likes

That’s just ignorance. Star Trek was all about the Jewish diaspora in space.

7 Likes

You missed DS9’s allusions!

3 Likes

Well, this was a man whose life was so insular that, when he and other rabbis of his generation attended a conference of all of the rabbis in Ohio at the Friar Tuck Inn, he and the other younger rabbis did not get the reference when one of the older rabbis joked “I hope that Robin Hood doesn’t show up.”

Yeah.

The community that I was raised in was so insular that a man could go through his entire education and a good chunk of his adult life, becoming the principal of a school, and not know who Robin Hood was, and not be alone in that ignorance, either.

11 Likes

To be fair, I grew up in the UK and, from a strictly realistic perspective, I don’t really have a clue who “Robin Hood” was either, though I have been told that in the US, for some unknown reason, he’s confused with William Tell.

[edit - I got it wrong. Popular culture 101 epic fail. Sorry.]

6 Likes

[quote=“Phrenological, post:212, topic:88859, full:true”]
You missed DS9’s allusions![/quote]
There are many people who interpret DS9 as being both pro-Palestinian and full of classic negative stereotypes about Jews, so that is not an example I would raise with @bibliophile20’s rabbi.

5 Likes

it’s really easy:
Hood - bow and tights
Tell - crossbow and incomprehensible German dialect

9 Likes

It’s understandable. They’re both expert marksmen who can hit their targets with an arrow. They both fight against tyrannical sheriffs and their aristocratic masters during the medieval period.

More importantly, neither legend appears on the standardised tests that the American public school system revolves around.

4 Likes

Ehhhh…I’d be with you if it hadn’t been for the white supremacists glomming on to the housing crisis in 2008, as well as latching themselves to Ron Paul. In 2016, they’ve hitched their wagon to Donald Trump. Not because they totally agree with him, but because they think he’s their useful idiot.

You are right, though: some of them hate him for being a Democrat. It’s funny that they get all worked up about Soros being a rich asshole manipulating the election, when apparently the Koch brothers weren’t that big of a deal. (They might be now, now that they’re on the wrong side of the Trump Train.)

2 Likes

As the elections to determine the next US President quickly approach, Ivanka Trump, the daughter of Republican nominee Donald Trump, could be seen last night with her husband visiting the grave of the Lubavitcher Rebbe in New York.

According to Kikar Shabbat, there was no press accompanying the couple; their visit was documented by others who had come to pray by the grave of the Rebbe.

Yeshiva World News noted the fact that Ivanka’s visit to the Rebbe’s grave was concurrent with her father’s campaign rally in Nevada last night, during which Trump was rushed offstage following suspicions of an assassination attempt.

Ivanka, who converted to Judaism, and her husband Jared Kushner, who is also Jewish, are considered close advisors to Donald Trump.

Several days ago, Ivanka campaigned for her father at a Florida synagogue and spoke of the importance of Judaism in her life.

“I feel like Judaism helps your moral compass. It has been a great blessing in my life,” she had said.

1 Like

All I know is that he smoked Larks, and lived on the coast just south of Whitby.

1 Like

umm okay… is there a point this factoid?

4 Likes

IIRC, Robin Hood was Dennis Moore’s secret identity.

3 Likes

I myself do not hold anything against those who did what they felt necessary to survive. I have written before about interviewing a bunch of survivors for my thesis, and strongly believe that none of us can judge the decisions of people who went through such hardships as we can hardly imagine today.