Trump considering Joe Exotic pardon

One of the ⊥rump spawn (Eric?) was on TV the other day and confessed to bingeing The Tiger King “in two days.”

ETA: @Ryuthrowsstuff identifies the spawn as Don Jr.

6 Likes

Something about your version reminds me unsettlingly of Paul McCartney. Like if Paul was the Methman instead of the Walrus.

1 Like

I have no doubt that the show did not present a rigorous, thorough and unbiased account of the facts around Baskin’s case, and likely played up the murder angle for extra drama. But the husband did attempt to take a restraining order out against his wife, correct? And she prepared his will giving her power of attorney in the event of his “disappearance,” which is an unusual clause for a will? If those two facts were true as presented then it’s suspicious as hell regardless of what other facts or evidence the show failed to present. (But not enough for a conviction on their own, obviously.)

4 Likes

Ivanka excepted, I doubt Trump could pick his kids out of a lineup.

1 Like

Donny Junior apparently watched the series and his take away was “I want a tiger”.

So pardon is already in the bag.

5 Likes

My daily ritual:

1. Get up and head to the kitchen
  2. Get a cup of black coffee and some toast.
  3. Check the internet.

gallery-1467985352-angry-computer-gif

12 Likes

1 Like

Agreed. Here’s a great essay in the Atlantic about how Joe Exotic is exactly the hero we don’t need at this moment:

As the author puts it “there’s something undeniably Trumpian about him. No misfortune can shake his sense of self. No humiliation can shame a man who refuses to be shamed. The chaotic reactions that Exotic has sparked are irrevocable, and even now, he’s fast approaching cultural-legend status, as Hollywood stars spar on Twitter battle over who gets to play him in the already-approved miniseries. “Fuck yeah, roll the cameras,” is how the reality-TV producer Rick Kirkham described watching Exotic at his most idiosyncratic and badly behaved. Netflix obviously agreed. Why can’t the rest of us look away?”

12 Likes

If only he had a couple tigers to sell to “grease the wheels”, it might happen.

So he can shoot it.

6 Likes

Is there someone trending more than Donald where Donald really has no idea who he is?

2 Likes

Agreed, good read. But I personally thought he was just as revolting in the Netflix series.

Great last paragraph in that article. I love when great writers analyze the phenomenon that is Joe Exotic:

"The Tiger King was trying to claw back power [from jail], but he has nothing left but his roar. He carved a kingdom from dust, cleaved from the world by a river and a freeway. Wild people tame wild animals and he ruled them all. Then he watched it crumble, and another man took his throne. Joe lived by the laws of the jungle. The laws of man weren’t nearly as easy to master. Now he’s the one behind bars. "

5 Likes

There’s the rub. A rich man with a hangar full of hinky puddle jumpers spending weeks at a time in central america in the 1990s is liable to disappear, so that clause doesn’t seem at all unreasonable. And the restraining order was denied, a fact that’s easy to assume was outrageous but all we have to go on is the insinuating remarks of Boss Hogg’s lawyer cousin.

I mean, I’d put 60/40 odds on she offed him? But I would explain that rather than 90/10 it with clever storytelling.

5 Likes

… what she said.

2 Likes

I’ve seen multiple people declare their support for him over the last couple of weeks, saying he’s the real victim, or that he only went off the rails after being persecuted by Baskin. But maybe they were being blatantly facetious and I just missed the joke because I haven’t actually watched it.

1 Like

Yup, I have seen it to. Not surprised there are a few among us who side with the vulgar self entitled inadequate alpha male whose main hobby is screaming at a woman and threatening her life. They think it is funny to trigger and shock, sure, but they are also empowered by it.

Garbage recognises garbage.

3 Likes

I’d be surprised too. I’m guessing his brain locked on to the question and his lie mechanism kicked in. And as others have said, anything to take the attention off the clusterfuck that is the COVID response.

ETA:

I haven’t had time to watch them yet, but there’s also these:

As a fan of Trae Crowder, I expect them to be interesting/fun. There are 8 episodes most around 1.5 hours long. You can find them all here:

1 Like

Yes, but what does seem unreasonable to me is that a millionaire who sought a restraining order against his wife (even one that ended up being denied) would entrust said wife to be the preparer of the will. Even if he had complete trust in her (which he clearly didn’t) she didn’t have any legal education or background, and millionaires tend to use lawyers for such services.

But I certainly won’t argue with your 60/40 odds. It’s not an airtight case by any means.

Even millionaires who bury gold bars in their yards and who don’t seem to be able to account for how they made fortunes, and who like to fly small planes below the radar to Central American countries, purely uncoincidentally in the middle of a cocaine smuggling boom?

I’m admittedly letting my reality TV influenced mind run a little wild with that one, but I do think all the “she just looks like she’s lying!” accusations against her are a little rough given that it is absolutely and completely reality TV. And hilariously manipulative, posing people with their amputated stumps showing in front of dumpsters. It’s not warts and all, it’s just the warts. Gloriously! Ha.

And it’s going to be a long time before my inner voice stops blaming everything on “that bitch Carol Baskin” in that accent.