Trump could face up to 1,000 years in prison for his document espionage

This honestly is my concern. I can easily see Biden pardoning Trump, though I don’t want to believe he would.

1 Like

Gibbets are nicely picturesque.

4 Likes

The absurdity of this subject reminds me of how I could never remember whether it was 100 gecs or 1000 gecs.

He should be happy to be judged by the standards he signed off on.

5 Likes

I’m ok with that as long as it’s soon.

4 Likes

Ok, I found it. It’s not part of FISA, it’s just in the federal criminal code. Congress changed that section of the criminal code in the legislation extending section 720 of FISA for another 5 years. That part of the code was there before, they just changed the penalty from a fine or maximum imprisonment of 1 year to a fine or maximum imprisonment of 5 years. Intent is still required, though. "Whoever, being an officer, employee, contractor, or consultant of the United States, and, by virtue of his office, employment, position, or contract, becomes possessed of documents or materials containing classified information of the United States, knowingly removes such documents or materials without authority and with the intent to retain such documents or materials at an unauthorized location shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.

4 Likes

Bury him in a nuclear waste dump. Sealed in a concrete block.

2 Likes

Ooh, could we get him and his spawn sent to a live-action version of Schitt’s Creek if they’re convicted or take a plea deal? I imagine if the government made it pay-per-view they could recoup a good deal of the money they spent on the investigation!

The Trumps wouldn’t be as funny as Dan and Eugene Levy, though.

3 Likes

For about a thousand years, athletes caught cheating at the ancient Olympic games were required to pay for a big statue describing their shame. The statues were erected on the path from the athlete quarters to the games, for all future athletes to peruse.

Using that as inspiration, maybe Trump could be forced to pay every penny he has for a monument that describes, in extreme and brutal detail, just what a tremendous piece of human garbage he has been. Make it a part of every Capital tour - the Trump monument of undying shame. Make it so big that in 100 years ‘to trump’ is a common word in the language that means grotesque failure and disgrace.

9 Likes

Have you seen The Queen of Versailles? Or Scott Tucker on Dirty Money? Watching the 1% implode is satisfying but not nearly as endearing as the fall and rise of the Roses.

1 Like

Definitely. Wilson Fisk belongs in prison.

1 Like

This seems to fit the bill?

4 Likes

But it’s Trump. “One set of standards for thee, no set of standards for me.”

Other laws concerning the misuse of documents, I understand, require specific intent as to what the person plans to do with them (e.g. distribute them, give them to enemies of the US, etc.). The intent in this code just involves having the documents. Which Trump absolutely did - someone didn’t smuggle them into Mar a Lago without his knowledge, after all…

7 Likes

Therein lies the rub.

6 Likes

Nothing will come of it I’m sure, but I am giddy to hear, in my head, Lemongrab’s voice screaming “THOUSAND YEARS DUNGEON”

2 Likes

I’d be happy if he just gets banned from ever being able to serve in federal, state, or local government in any capacity — not even as janitor.

6 Likes

I also believe it. :crossed_fingers: But Trump will likely not even take the stand, but if he does, I expect hours of him simply taking the 5th. The prosecution won’t ask him anything that he could lie about on the stand without being countered with evidence in real-time. If the trial is televised, his wriggling and Il Duce jaw-jutting may prove entertaining.

5 Likes

I think it’s more unlikely that he’d avoid the limelight, any limelight.

4 Likes

Almost certainly not. They basically never do, no matter who is in question.

Remember that at Trump’s age, even ten years in prison is basically him spending the rest of his life behind bars, and even minimum-security “Club Fed” Federal prisons are still prisons and going there really is a punishment, especially for someone as utterly egotistic, narcissistic and used to luxury (or appearance thereof) as Trump.

5 Likes

“This place is not a place of honor. No highly esteemed dead is commemorated here… nothing valued is here. What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.”

6 Likes