Trump declares Georgia run-off election "Illegal And Invalid"

For crying out loud! Will that orange apparition EVER shut his pig-ignorant big mouth? He’s LOST, pure and simple. If he just carries on this crackpot unjust persecution of the election, he’ll only become more of a laughing stock than he is already! Dear Donald, just button that great lip - PLEASE!

On paper, if we were discussing a hypothetical scenario, sure. But the public good is actually served when the party that wants to kill the public good does not have the ability to do so. In real life, whatever it takes to defeat the autocratic death cult.

7 Likes

Putting a stop to gerrymandering and voter suppression would go a long way to fixing the problem with his base. They’re a minority. In a straight-up “winner-take-all” scenario, Republicans would be the political minority that they actually are. They’d still have representation, but it would be fringe, and they’d have to get along with the majority that wants things like public goods and services.

14 Likes

Not really. It will end up being like white supremacists movements, a problem we pretend does not exist until it explodes in the public sphere in a way we can’t ignore anymore. Ignoring problems does not make them go away, facing them head on, understanding them, describing them, and then figuring out solutions does.

10 Likes

This is what is really sad. Hate for one particular group of human beings or another kind (skin, religion, looks, etc) tend to be passed from generation to generation in a familial environment. Subtly or outright.

The US made some progress back in the 60’s, and it almost seemed normalized by the early 2000’s, but here we are with good people on both sides.

Fucker. And you know who I’m referencing.

6 Likes

Trump? Ann Coulter? Nixon? Reagan? This is not a Trump problem, I’m afraid. The GOP has been using racial dog whistling as a strategy for years now. He’s just turned that into a fog horn, but honestly others did that before him anyway. He was just far more effective at it.

I agree it’s within the family structure in many cases, but it’s in our structures, too. We’ve abandoned any attempt to restructure our government to move away from structural racism (misogyny, homophobia, etc). It never really went away, we just pretended it did. Plus, let’s not forget how the Democrats helped make it worse in the 90s, joining in the push for harsher punishments such as 3 strike laws.

It’s a structural problem, not just a personal beliefs problem.

30 Likes

Trump probably believes he can fire Pence, but Pence was elected.

24 Likes

I keep thinking this is all really just groundwork for keeping this obstruction going strong into the new administration. We’re going to have legislators refusing to participate in votes under an “illegitimate government”, states refusing to acknowledge laws signed by an “illegitimate president”, et cetera. I mean, they already ran a lot of this playbook under President Obama.

11 Likes

Gerrymandering and voter suppression are the problems we’ve been ignoring. I suppose you can put in the work and resources to reform every single white supremacist until white supremacy is no longer a thing, but a more immediate solution would be to stop hiring white supremacists for positions of power, like in the police force, or Congress, or what have you.

I don’t think you can fix autocratic death cults. I think you can neutralize the structures that provide autocratic death cultists with power over others.

7 Likes

I’m starting to look at it more as “the majority that aren’t misanthropes”

“Kill the poor, not the unborn”

7 Likes

It’s always a good day to donate to Stacey Abrams’ Fair Fight Action:

I notated $100 of my as-yet-to-be-deposited stimulus check to them last week; they’re splitting it between the two Democratic candidates and Fair Fight itself, which is fighting gerrymandering.

14 Likes

Not all of us - plenty of people have been talking about this for years, especially how it relates to the preservation of white supremacy in our political and legal systems. And the goal of such things are primarily to keep minorities from voting. Racism or rather preservation of the white power structure is at the root of it, in other words.

I’m suggesting we change the system, not individuals. Actually looking at the racist roots of our legal system, and rooting that out. If people want to believe bullshit theories about race, that’s their problem. But making our systems not racist is our problem (meaning all of us).

16 Likes

Also, a VP replacement has to be approved by both houses of Congress.

9 Likes

The elephant in the room is that the election system for Senators, MP and the President is a strong two-party system. Even Canada that has a first-past-the post system has more diversity in the house of Commons.
This makes difficult separate the neo-fascists and conservatives, and progressive and commies. Also prevents a green party to have any visibility.
The artificial two party system, and the artificial race system present in the USA are fueling each other.

6 Likes

I wish the Republicans would wake up and see that though Trump demands their loyalty, he shows them no loyalty at all.

On the flip side, they gladly helped create this monster and they deserve to be taken down with him.

9 Likes

I think you’re describing something which already happened, but I get your point.

Yes, and those are problems we need to address. But it seems like the “low-hanging fruit” (so to speak) would be to start with addressing re-districting and voter suppression tactics. There are a lot of things we can do to start the process of correction.

3 Likes

That’s not how heirarchy works. The person at the top makes the rules, those beneath follow the rules. You can grumble about it if you like, but you have to tow the line. It’s not negotiable.

Republicans don’t feel this way about Democrats, because (as you can see playing out right now), “Democrats should never be king.” The rebellion will be to depose the Democrat and restore the monarchy with a rightful Republican autocratic heir.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was a gut-punch. But it made me realize that it’s not a D vs. R thing. It’s a reasonable-person vs. a jack-hole thing. We’ve got both on both sides. It’s just sad that there are more on one side than the other.

4 Likes

More Republicans Announce Plans To Object To Electoral College Results https://www.npr.org/sections/biden-transition-updates/2021/01/02/952861357/more-republicans-announce-plans-to-object-to-electoral-college-results?sc=18&f=1001

This?

This is what a bunch of complete fucking tools looks like.

Subverting democracy is what theyve been trying to do the last 4 years, if this isn’t the purest, most open and obvious shameless example of that, then I’m a goddamn potato.

10 Likes