Trump DOJ tells Former White House counsel Don McGahn not to testify to House Judiciary Committee

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/20/trump-doj-tells-former-white-h.html

Trump directed ex WH lawyer McGahn NOT to testify before House Dems about Mueller report

6 Likes

Is their argument basically “Don’t want to, can’t make me, nyah!”?

18 Likes

I can hardly wait to see how SCOTUS rules on the constitutionality of the “do-over.” Won’t be long before we have verdicts on “take backs” and, the bane of all democracies, the dreaded “crossed fingers” as well!

9 Likes

Been waiting for this since …

9 Likes

It doesn’t matter. Is it absolutely a clear line in the sand that Nostradumbass and his cronies are corrupt and the most guilty of all guilty persons ever…yes. Will 40% of the country still vote for him because republican, crooked Hillary/What about her emails?, not [[insert democratic candidate name here]], sent by jesus, or whatever other stupid nonsensical reasoning you can think of.

We (meaning every mentally functional person) need to just vote him out in 2020. Forget impeachment, trials, SCOTUS, forget ANY measure of our constitutional process. VOTE.

14 Likes

Grab popcorn a very big weaseling out and walking away like there’s nothing to see here folks awaits!

wait, am I turning cynical?

1 Like

I fucking hate lawyers.

Disclaimer: Not lawyers here on the BBS just all the others.

5 Likes

McGahn, testify. It’s your right and the right of the congress.

9 Likes

In related news, Congress blocks the budget for DOJ and Treasury Dept to pay for expansion of Congressional Jail. Until built, prisoners will have to cope with the current existing facilities.

5 Likes

except instead of a schoolyard this is a country with 330,000,000 people and nuclear weapons.

5 Likes

Their arguement is more that congress doesn’t have the authority to issue such subpoenas because they don’t fall under a clear legislative necessity. Which is both completely inacurate and neatly obviated by acknowledging the possibility of impeachment. Not even actually impeaching. Just saying “yeah we’re looking into it because of impeachment”.

6 Likes

tumblr_prr5wdfcSn1syq7kd_540

51 Likes

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Republican Party - “the party of law and order.”

14 Likes

I applaud your spirit, but, and I hate to keep bringing this up in these forums, what about that whole extreme data-driven gerrymandering thing?

1 Like

So he could do so if he chose? I mean, he’s the former White House Counsel. They’re not the boss of him!

5 Likes

The IOKIYAR doctrine applies in this case. And all other cases.

2 Likes

gerrymandering doesn’t effect presidential races, so I fail to see what your point is.

1 Like

Maybe not directly, but yeah, it does, a lot!

2 Likes

Trump’s DOJ is wrong. A Congressional subpoena is lawful.

1 Like

We only have the very best lawyers.

2 Likes