Trump DOJ tells Former White House counsel Don McGahn not to testify to House Judiciary Committee

no. it does not effect the presidential race at all. not a lot, not a little…zero.

now arguing that gerrymandering effects the other state and federal races and therefore has a potential to greatly effect a presidency is absolutely true. But the presidency is not the presidential race.

3 Likes

I never quite understood this philosophically. For every lawyer that you hate, isn’t there another one taking the opposite side, that you theoretically should then love?

3 Likes

You know the truism. Crooked lawyers give the honest 2% a bad name.

5 Likes

lol so it’s like a Pareto principle, where 2% of lawyers have to handle 50% of the cases in order to have someone on the good side.

3 Likes

Roger that!

2 Likes

Can a president pardon those ruled in contempt of Congress? Are all his mendacious munchkins expecting Get-Outa-Jail-Free cards?

1 Like

Yeah, this. Continuing to beat, beat, beat the dead horse that is the Mueller investigation is probably helping Trump more than hurting him.

1 Like

Nah, that guy’s a fucking weasel who’s only in it for the money.

Whaddaya mean, which one?

1 Like

Essentially, yes.

Or as Mr Slant would have it, it’s the maxim of non volo, et vos non potestis me fabricare

The argument boils down to:

Congress cannot compel the President to explain himself to them about matters relating to his execution of his office. He can volunteer but they can’t compel.

From that it is a short and arguably necessary step to say that Congress also cannot require the President’s close advisers to testify about matters relating to the President’s exercise of his office.

It’s all part of the wonderful checks and balances baked into the US constitution.

Congress, the President and the judiciary are all supposed to be independent of each other.

Except that in fact Congress has overall control since they make the laws and can remove the President who gets to appoint the judiciary.

Which is where the impeachment bit comes in.

Congress can say “We’re concerned about this issue. We’d like you to make your adviser available so we can look into it. You won’t? Ok, that looks sort of bad, you know? Still no? Ok, I guess we’ll just have to decide whether to impeach and convict based on what we’ve got including your refusal to allow us to look into this - which itself does kind of look a bit like obstructing an investigation…”

Will they?

Nah, not unless it looks like not doing so will get them unelected in a hurry. So quori’s right.

2 Likes

I am reminded of this passage from John Brunner’s oft-prescient 1975 novel The Shockwave Rider:

He looked first at his favorite [Delphi board] sector, social legislation, and was pleased to see he had … won bets due to be collected shortly. Despite all the pressure that had been applied, the president would not after all be able to make jail sentences mandatory for slandering his personal aides — it would cost him his majority if he tried …

http://the-eye.eu/public/Books/SciFi_Fantasy/Science%20Fiction/Brunner%2C%20John/Brunner%2C%20John%20-%20The%20Shockwave%20Rider.txt

5 Likes

Ooh, thanks for the link. I’ve heard it recommended often but never read it myself.

1 Like

According to the Trump administration, nobody in the Trump administration is legally required to do anything

9 Likes

Hasn’t turned up yet.

3 Likes

No KFC in sight.

2 Likes

Luckily, at least the precedents regarding the “triple dog dare” are fairly clear, so there will be no need to revisit that argument.

1 Like

If these fuckers will not testify put them in jail. Chelsea Manning is sitting in jail right now and these lying, obstructing sons-of-bitches are walking with smug looks on there face. Put them in jail!

3 Likes

Even if they did, I don’t think that there is a working congressional “jail”. There is however an alcove with bars where they keep stuff for people who are lying in state in the Capitol Rotunda. Hell, I’d just have a steel cage constructed and placed out on the Mall and uncovered during the June/July/August/September months of street melting DC heat until a suitable dungeon is constructed for the lot of them.

3 Likes

Really?!?!

The Department of Justice on Monday released a new opinion from the Office of Legal Counsel

4 Likes

Is that a full sentence? Doesn’t seem like one.

YES REALLY. Gerrymandering absolutely effects ALL of the other races, and as a result it effects a presidential administration…but it categorically DOES NOT effect the actual presidential race. If you do not understand that fact, I cannot help you with that…I am not here to teach basic civics to anyone. You have an internet browser, you have google at your disposal, you can figure that shit out on your own.