Trump enraged that McConnell won't 'protect' him from Russia investigations: NYT

My belief is that they’ll still blame Obama, the immigrants, etc.
You can’t expect people who can’t think critically in everyday situations to suddenly be blessed with reason in times of severe crisis.

4 Likes

The Democratic Party is dead and buried, anyway. The street left have given up on them.

hand-up-cumberbatch

6 Likes

Someone needs to remind 45 that Congress doesn’t actually work for him. It’s not in their job description to protect the president and it’s no accident that they are empowered to remove the president from office.

4 Likes

His entire life he has been given exactly what he wants by throwing tantrums and behaving badly. Why is anyone expecting him to stop now?

2 Likes

Televised. Hmm, that could clinch the deal.

2 Likes

And don’t forget another large percentage who would be immediately outraged, take to social media, find out they have to actually do something to object to this, and sit back down. America is good at apathy.

1 Like

giphy2

4 Likes

I’m really, really getting tired of people arguing that it really does need to get shit-awful for millions of people – many of whom are not complicit in this shit-show – so that Democrats can win an election. Stop. Rooting. For. The. Worst.

2 Likes

What’s your objective? To help your country or to rule over the rubble?

The worst thing I can say about the GOP under Obama is they chose the latter.

4 Likes

What I would really like is for everyone to just listen to reason, work together, and recognize that we are entering a post-scarcity world where we can pretty much create a Star Trek style utopia if only we decide to actually do it.

Realistically, I understand that we are the type of species which drafts a global declaration of human rights, but not until after we’ve had a holocaust.

And I understand that there are people who will inherently listen to reason, people who will be swayed by emotion, people who will accept the opinion of whomever establishes dominance, people who will never change their mind, and people who will only accept the truth when it is blatantly, undeniably, immediately affecting them personally.

For fuck’s sake, over a third of our country thinks Trump is doing a good job as president.

In the long term, we must obviously make a priority of raising a generation of rational, compassionate, well adjusted people. The problem is that we as a species need to survive long enough to do that- And as long as we continue to allow people to operate in a mode of constant denial, I don’t see that happening.

Basically, it boils down to the Trolley Problem. I believe the moral cost of watching the five people run over is greater than the moral cost of actually killing the one- And between our impending economic collapse and our already starting ecological collapse, I genuinely fear that our entire civilization will end if we don’t affect immediate and drastic change.

https://twitter.com/wernertwertzog/status/900382564787122177

I still think it can be saved if enough people wake up in time.

The working class and PoC communities are already in it, but they can’t do it without help from the non-fascist half of the white middle class. Or as one of the street protesters put it:

1 Like

If so then wishing ill others is a bad way to start. If you want to end with peace, goodwill, and cooperation then that’s where you need to start.

People like to say the ends justify the means, instead the means usually become the ends.

This problem is this creates a precedent for pushing people into trains, you might be smart enough to only push when someone is inescapably trapped on the track, but others who follow your lead won’t be. The practical result of pushing the fat man is a lot more people hit by trains.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.