Trump fires Secretary of State Rex Tillerson

Literally the first thing that came to my mind was, “did the president fire him by tweet? I bet he fired him by tweet.”   Not kidding!

‘That’s not the way the world really works anymore. We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors…and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do’. (source)

9 Likes

If only there were some sort of alternative facts…

3 Likes

OMG even the Centauri Republic is against the Russians now!

9 Likes

So whose heads are going to end up on pikes?

3 Likes

And there goes one of the last “adults in the room” for the Trump White House (Mattis being the last one).

Tillerson was a terrible Secretary of State and he met Trump’s apparent mandate to destroy whatever agency his appointees are in (although unintentionally so). His departure doesn’t get my blood pressure up. Trump will continue his completely effed up and ignorant attempts at foreign policy. All the while, annoying our allies and enabling rivals.

4 Likes

The replacements don’t seem to be much better. No chance for this:

7 Likes

Pikes are so last century.

Selfie sticks are en vogue now.

2 Likes

You know a spook is exceptionally shady when Diane Feinstein is unhappy with them. Her standards are normally pretty permissive in that area.

5 Likes

This will explain it.

5 Likes

As Trump eloquently put it earlier this week: “THERE IS NO CHAOS, ONLY GREAT ENERGY.”

3 Likes

One of the all time great callbacks in television history

7 Likes

I do love the irony that Vir is the only one who truly got what he wanted from being asked that question.

4 Likes

Isn’t Wednesday tomorrow? I know the administration is a bit nuts but time travel to fire someone is a bit far.

1 Like

For a second, when I first read the news about Tillerson, I thought today must be Friday.

3 Likes

The ongoing shit-show that is the Trump administration. (Evergreen comment, until it ends.)

Apparently Tillerson was told Friday that he should maybe cut his Africa trip short because he “might receive a tweet” from the president soon. So he may have made such a strongly worded statement because he knew he was on the way out. It’s clear that Trump hasn’t been happy with Tillerson for a while, because Tillerson pushed back on a number of issues. (Ironically, the White House just denied there was any rift between them.)

EDIT: Now it looks like the “they told him on Friday he might be fired” story may not be true, a ret-con someone came up with to distance the idea that the firing was a result of his Russia statement. Someone in the White House admitted that they just fired Tillerson’s aide because he contradicted that narrative. The ongoing shit-show that is the Trump administration.

8 Likes

World: “Tillerson is a terrible SoS”
Trump: “Hold my beer.”

Tillerson was an awful SoS. No doubt about it. At least he seemed to kinda sorta care about diplomacy as he bumbled through his job.

Somehow his successor manages to be oh so much worse. Pompeo as the head diplomat somehow manages to top the absurdity that was Jesse Helms as head of the SCFR.

4 Likes

Pompeo is still better than John Bolton would be.

1 Like

Citation needed. To my knowledge, German authorities do not persecute prosecute modern-day war criminals unless they are citizens of certified third-rate countries Rwanda or Yugoslavia. In particular, we wouldn’t dream of causing any inconvenience to our American friends.

2 Likes

There is also the problem of the American Service-Members’ Protection Act, which allows the US to declare war on any country who arrests any US government offical or member of the armed forces.

Normally I wouldn’t worry about it, but now we have Trump in the White House I could see it happening.

4 Likes

You know, for a short moment I thought “at least it’s not another billionaire with no political experience”.

Then I realised that this is much, much worse.

Also, this exact problem will occur when Trump is impeached.

Oh my.

3 Likes