Trump followers delighted over new sexual assault accusation

Agreed.
A few years ago I went to the villa where the Wannsee Conference was held, now a museum.

The most striking and chilling part was just how mundane and bureaucratic the planning for mass genocide was, all in a conference room with a lovely view of the lake…
5 Likes

An article I read recently referred to it as “The Weaponization of Exhaustion,” which sums it up pretty well. Sort of the political version of “One death is a tragedy, one million is a statistic.” Any of his scandals would have broken any other administration, but if there are so many, and they keep coming so fast, eventually we just give up and stop paying attention. Well, some of us do, anyway.

5 Likes

I would argue that those who can still be considered “conservatives” are now so few in number that the label is meaningless. Let’s call the Trumpets what they truly are: Regressives.

3 Likes

That’a a great way of framing the Malaise in Chief’s ceaseless gaslighting and lies.

I swear I was out of metaphors to describe how cloying and choking it feels. And then suddenly a smoky cloud literally descended on my neighborhood for more than a week, and it was the most Trump thing ever.

1 Like

oHHHHH. . . . nice one.

3 Likes

That’s 25 for those who’ve lost count.

eta: Sorry, 26.

1 Like

My wife and I were discussing this on our walk and came to the conclusion that what will eventually happen is what happens in banana republics - we will have such unrest that the military will step in and declare martial law. While the rank and file are suspect, they will do what they are told. The officer class - especially the higher ranking ones - are as appalled as the rest of us.

This came about because my wife could not understand why Trump would literally kill his own voters with these rallies. He knows how deadly COVID is, so why inflict it on his voters? Because ultimately what he is trying to create is not voters, but rioters. If/when things don’t go his way, he will get them to cause such a scene that martial law is all but inevitable.

What he has failed to realize is that the jugheads don’t run the military, and martial law will not go as he plans… Look what happens to all the generals and admirals he hires? They quit.

SO - wierdly enough - the one institution that most of us can actually trust - the military - will step in, right the ship, and give it back in a decade or two, like what has happened in most other Central and South American military states.

Literally my best case scenario - other than Trump and the Republicans doing the right thing…

2 Likes

The scenario you paint a picture of is also what I think may be our “best case.” I do hope it goes that way. What I’m more worried about is Trump “winning” the election because we’re already too far gone. In that scenario, as scary as it is, I think the military will do anything and everything he orders them to.

Maybe sitting in northeast Ohio, having recently finished Derf’s new Kent State graphic novel, I don’t share your faith in the military. I also notice that the military didn’t balk at deploying the 82nd to the outskirts of DC for the George Floyd protests. Oh sure, they’ll wring their hands later about it being a breach of standards, but it means about as much as Susan Collins having reservations.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.