Trump hints at Stefanik for VP

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/23/trump-hints-at-stefanik-for-vp.html

3 Likes

Marge is going to be sad.

4 Likes

Kamala Harris Waiting GIF by Election 2020

10 Likes

I knew he wasn’t going to seriously consider any of the Republicans who were challenging him for the nomination. No matter how much they flattered him, just putting their hats in the ring was bound to be interpreted as an unforgivable betrayal.

13 Likes

He must be sure she’ll cheat on his behalf, unlike the loaf of Wonderbread he chose last time.

15 Likes

She’s dropping hints herself…

Stefanik’s team dismissed Cheney’s latest criticism in a statement to The Hill.

“Liz Cheney’s only remaining relevance is that she will soon have to answer for her role in deleting and hiding evidence from the investigation into the sham January 6 Select Committee,” a spokesperson for Stefanik said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/4424200-liz-cheney-calls-elise-stefanik-total-crackpot/

3 Likes

She’s terrible. But could there be a choice that isn’t?

3 Likes

My money is on Kristi Noem.

1 Like

I wonder if he thinks picking her will allow him to win NY State. It hasn’t picked a Republican since Reagan, but it’s a source of childhood trauma to TFG that people in his original home state don’t like him, so he may be gambling on someone willing to cheat for him there.

2 Likes

I doubt there’s a Republican that isn’t terrible, so no, there isn’t.

3 Likes

That would be quite delusional, but in past campaigns he did waste tons of political ad money on states and districts where a win for him was never within the realm of possibility. (TV ads in Washington DC in the 2020 race, for example.) So that tracks.

5 Likes

I think he’s beyond the kind of traditional political calculus that ordinarily goes into choosing a VP. That’s how he ended up with Pence; not because Pence was especially aligned with Trump but because Pence was supposed to help deliver the Evangelical vote. And in the end Trump sent a mob to lynch him.

This time around Trump isn’t trying to win anyone over, he’s just interested in surrounding himself with the most loyal toadies he can find.

8 Likes

Maybe because she was the only one left for whom he failed to come up with a juvenile derogatory nickname? 'Nik’s the pik? Sounds like him.

1 Like

Stefanik represents one of the largest geographical sized districts in the state, because it is one of the most rural ones, and, not surprisingly, among the most conservative in the state. It also, sadly, happens to be my hometown district… and is probably most comparable to the deep south? People fly confederate flags in this region, and you know it has nothing to do with southern pride when you’re closer to the border of Canada than you are to New Jersey even…

The rest of the state does not like Stefanik, so delusional for sure. There’s no way the politics of some of the least populated counties in New York is going to sway the 66/33 split NY usually goes to for the democratic presidential candidate. It will give him a talking point though when he loses the state, he can say he obviously should have won it? Maybe?

4 Likes

So the rest of the year, this… great.

1 Like

He was born and raised in NY City and spent most of his life living and working there, so by that logic he already “should” have won the state, regardless of his running mate. But clearly familiarity breeds contempt in his case.

2 Likes

I’d bet on Noem or Nancy Mace for Trump’s VP pick over Stefanik.

1 Like

It’d be a dumb play. He’d lose New York, as Stefanik couldn’t win statewide, anyway, and he’ll lose the opportunity to tag someone who could help him with swing territory.

1 Like

Maybe he just wants to to see that most of the land on a NY state map voted for him. That would be very much like that overgrown toddler.

3 Likes

At this point I have a very hard time imagining anyone in any state changing their mind about supporting Trump based on who his VP pick turns out to be.

This isn’t a normal election or a normal electorate. It’s a referendum on a cult leader.

3 Likes