Trump: 'I think you'd have riots' and 'bad things' if I'm not GOP nominee

As many as it takes.

1 Like

I donā€™t see the contradiction - the education creates more of what they say they love, after all.

1 Like

or history of public service (Ventura served his country, Trump was a draft dodger), humble backgrounds, or acting ability.

Yes, you may have a point we seem to be disagreeing over the definition of direct physical threats, as well as my use of the word ā€œlikeā€. Okay then, first off, the RNC have not limited their activities over the last half century to subtly playing on peopleā€™s racist fears. The RNC shapes the Republican political platform, gives direction to party politics, etc in addition to developing election strategies.

The partyā€™s problem isnā€™t just that the RNC adopted the Southern Strategy to capture unhappy white racist voters back in the 60s. The GOPā€™s problem is everything it has done ever since to keep them (and others like them).

Did you see this related post: http://boingboing.net/2016/03/03/understanding-american-authoritarianism.htm

Candidates deliver tough talk about fighting crime, war on drugs, and protecting home and family. Once in office elected officials push through policies and enforce laws that work to the detriment of communities of some communities more than others. Stop and frisk, broken windows, three strikes, stand your ground, to name a few. Is it reasonable to consider as direct physical threats whenever anyone faces a threat to their physical well-being as a direct result of GOP policy? I think so, and you donā€™t have to agree. Meanwhile, GOP candidates need not dirty their own hands with actual body slams, beatings, shootings, false arrests, false imprisonments, and miscarriages of justice. And they can gasp and say ā€œour prayers are with the victimsā€ after every mass shooting while accepting NRA lobby money.

You have expressed exception to my use of the word ā€œlikeā€ and suggested Iā€™m dumbing down the discussion when I said that the RNC does like direct physical threats, that the RNC usually has people other than their front runner make the direct physical threats. To me the word ā€œlikeā€ seems apt in its senses of ā€œprefer (one option to another)ā€ and ā€œdoes well inā€.

However if you wish I will restate my position: The RNC has made great political gains through the use of direct physical threats and violence. The RNC usually has people other than their front runner make the direct physical threats, ordinarily pointed at people who have little political power due to poverty and/or systemic racism. This political season the GOP front runner is issuing his own threats, and in all directions, mostly at protesters such as BlackLivesMatter protesters.

Itā€™s nice, but it isnā€™t enough to denounce Trumpā€™s calls for violence. Just as it was nice, but it wasnā€™t enough for the then-RNC chairman to apologize for the Southern Strategy back in 2005. The RNC needs to find a direction Trump isnā€™t going, one that leads to good governance, and head there. They could start with a less racist, less sexist, less authoritarian platform.

5 Likes
1 Like

I dunno.

In the last fifty yearsā€¦

Barry Goldwater
Richard Nixon
Ronald Reagan
George Bush Sr.
George Bush Jr.
John McCain
Mitt Romney

ā€¦have all been compared to Hitler.

(1) How many Reichstag fires have we had while those individuals were running for or serving as president?

(2) If we really do someday get a Hitler in this country, donā€™t you think that the constant playing of the Hitler card by the left, over and over and over again, will make it a little more difficult to point that out?

(edit) Whoopsies, it goes back farther than I thought. Thomas E Dewey, American Fuhrer:

Not if heā€™s the only one who comes up with that actual, yā€™know, fire,

1 Like

13 Likes

GOP presidents accused of behaving like Hitler?

6 Likes

Notably absent from your list is of course Barack Obama, who has been repeatedly called Hitler especially in regards to supporting health care. But Iā€™m sure there was no disingenuity in that oversight! Itā€™s just that the problem is so plainly the left crying ā€œwolfā€ in response to what are merely dingoes, jackals, and coyotes, not the frothy old men constantly shrieking it at trout and wheelbarrows.

12 Likes

12 Likes

Gotta have a cross on the shirt though to attract the bible beaters.

Everyone likes fire too so might want to have something with a fireā€¦ but LARGE for supporters to attend.

4 Likes

Either way I thinkā€¦

Riots leading up to the election and more tension heading into 2016.

I found somewhere the number of people who felt like they were in the lower class in 2000 vs 2013. It went from 33% to 49%.

The number of people in poverty here in the US is officially 15%. Itā€™s higher amongst millenials. One in five are in poverty. 18% of children in the US are in poverty.

Thereā€™s just surplus populations here that the economy doesnā€™t need. The unlucky people in capitalist cycles. Rural poor and urban poor.

The last time poverty levels in the US were so high was in the 60s.

3 Likes

Itā€™s Hitlerā€™s all the way down.

And worseā€¦ Everyones got their eyes peeled looking for Hitlerā€™sā€¦ And they donā€™t see the many other kinds of political monsters that exist.

Like man babies getting elected, quietly slipping the Presidential AMEX to their friends, and making some adjustments on the geopolitical thermostat, like they told him to. It wasnā€™t like Bush didnā€™t have a record. His governorship of Texas was the same thing. Completely.

Or Nixon. Trumpā€™s stump speech is way Nixonian. His campaign manager has a Nixon tattoo.

Trump says heā€™s not a racist. Hitler did not keep his racism out of his point of view.

Hitler was a strong believer in innate qualitiesā€¦ He thought we were all born with whatever. He was a scientific racist. He was a visionary. He was a very poor man who was an army veteran who almost died in World War I. He was sitting there with a copy of Thus Spake Zarathustra. While people gassed each other and hacked eachother apart with medieval trench weapons.

Speaking of whichā€¦ World War I. No one makes movies about it because itā€™s not a fun setting.

Itā€™s muddy and dirty. Everyones sick and dies. People who are too in shock to run across a battlefield again and take another trench are shot in the back of the head.

WWI was a meat grinder. They saw troops as numbers. The world went crazy, and Europe tore the fields up, making them into a machine to fight a war of attrition. Just tear each other apart.

Hitler comes from that! Goes to Jail. Writes a Manifesto. What the fuck does that have to do withā€¦

A guy who was given a ginormous loan that let him buy up Manhattan. His fucking plane is worth $100,000,000 dollars.

The stuff he says about women. Thatā€™s the horror. Thatā€™s the fucking monsterous nightmare stuff you donā€™t want anywhere near a political office.

So no doubt the guy is a step back for anyone who cares about equality and equity and humanity. But heā€™s not a step back to NAZI Germany.

But when people call people Hitlerā€¦ Theyā€™re not just reasoning by analogy badly. Itā€™s a synonym for the worst. Heā€™s a symbol. Also we love to think without Hitler there wouldā€™ve been no NAZI Germany.

Important differences - That whole rise of Hitler thing played out in a post apocalyptic setting. And thereā€™d have been no Hitler without a Germany ready for him to rise up in, and no one there to oppose him.

As for his worldviewā€¦ He reads financial news. He has insider friends. He lives in a bubble of opulence and being surrounded by people who take care of his needsā€¦ Heā€™s an aristocrat. The kind America makes. Heā€™s up there with Paris Hilton.

Our country is founded some idealsā€¦ One of the core ones is to keep King Trump and his ilk off the throne.

I read Trumpā€™s plan to make Ford keep manufacturing in the US. I understand what he is talking about when he says he wants to use the power of the US Presidency to fundamentally change the American economy and create jobs. The how. His methods.

This is likeā€¦ What he thinks is his strong suit. His deep understanding of how to get rich. He thinks that is the same thing as economics.

He thinks lots of weird shit.

Heā€™s not really even an American. Heā€™s a Trumpsylvanian. He has lived in a world that is egosyntonic. He can change his environment and the people around him at will, and at his whim.

Everyone important knows who he is. Heā€™s a rich and famous celebrity. And he wants to be President now. It would look so fucking good in his memiors.

He has no skin in this game. And itā€™s a game to him. Or wasā€¦ He can step away whenever he wants. Ross Perot did this shit. He got super excited and gathered unhappy wingnuts under his big yellow flag and then dropped out. Because he had that leeway.

Putin I think is a better analogy. Putin, Nixon, Berlusconi. Maybe Tammany Hall when itā€™s all over.

Not Hitlerā€¦ geez.

1 Like

Trump may be the key to teaching conservatives how to be human beings.

Theyā€™re authoritarians. The ones at the top are doms, and theyā€™ll never turn away from the stream of sweet gravy-submission they get from followers. The folls can grow out of it, but only as a personal journey experiencing empathy from/for the people around them. Not likely to happen watching The Rump.

1 Like

Now thatā€™s a reasonable, non-moronic reply. Thank you.

Of course anyone who compares Obama to Hitler is every bit as much an ignoramus as is anyone who compared all those Republicans.

It seems inaccurate to frame this as a partisan issue that only (or mostly) those on the left side do to the GOP. History suggest that this has been rampant among both parties since the 60s, and I can agree that the comparison been overused to the point of abuse.

Hitlery.
Al Gore.
Bill.
Sweet Jesus not Jimmy Carter too.
LBJ.

The theory that ā€œthe leftā€ is solely or uniquely responsible for introducing Nazi comparisons into our political discourse is lacking. Iā€™d argue that the person who has contributed the most to these terms becoming part of regular political discourse would be Rush Limbaugh, with his ā€œfeminaziā€ catchphrase. Now, since Iā€™m not a listener, I donā€™t know for sure whether Rush has ever called a Republican a Feminazi, but if he has then please share a link.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.