Trump impeached second time

Witness their beloved cry of “We’re not a democracy! We’re a republic!”

10 Likes

Trump could shoot a guy on 5th avenue, and you’d not get enough votes to impeach, even with the upcoming senate which is 50/50.

Trump would have to fellate a guy in the middle of 5th avenue. Then you’d get your supermajority.

5 Likes

Hopefully there isn’t a Dem president together with a Rep Congress & Senate for a couple decades so we don’t have to endure four years of repeated frivolous revenge impeachment attempts…

4 Likes

The Revenge 25 is going to be a problem I think.

5 Likes

Impeached, you say? For a second time, you say? Yay… i guess.

giphy

11 Likes

19 Likes

Maybe so, we’ll see. I think even a solid majority in the Senate to remove is a bit exciting, even if short of 2/3rds.

4 Likes

So you’re saying Donald doesn’t know about it yet?

8 Likes

This would be one of the only reasons I would like to see Trump get back his twitter account (if only for a day). I’d like to see what spew of self incrimination he could devolve into at this moment.

6 Likes

I don’t believe so. The VP settles a tie in the Senate. It’s at least 2/3 of members present—so if all 100 Senators show up, that would require 67, I think.

If some GOP people don’t show up, the number is lower.

9 Likes
25 Likes

You are correct. VP casts tie breaking vote ONLY when the senate is equally divided. Article 1, section 3

https://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/reference/four_column_table/Tie_Votes.htm#:~:text="The%20Vice%20President%20of%20the,breaking%20votes%20have%20been%20cast.

6 Likes

Yes, it’s 67. And VP Kamala only counts as a tie breaker.

ETA; @Wally beat me to it once again!

6 Likes

Think about this. 197 Republicans still don’t think what Trump is doing is impeachable (or rather, they don’t feel like they can publicly make that case, safely. I’m not sure if that’s better or worse). Election tampering, insurrection - attacks on the democracy itself. That’s what the Republican party is - fundamentally anti-democratic. No one should ever forget this, much less let Republicans pretend otherwise.

Revlon’s “Rotten Peach” foundation.

31 Likes

Now it’s time to expel the traitors in Congress who helped the insurrectionists plan and execute the attack.

19 Likes

Trump had a point, about repeated flushes.

11 Likes

I have to apologize to Donnie- you are exceptional. On one measure.

10 Likes

So we’d need 20 GOP Senators to boycott the proceedings, maybe? I think the standard quorum rules would apply. So if 5 or 6 Republicans vote to convict, we’d need another 16 or 17 to not show up. :smiley:

7 Likes

Well, that would be one of the interesting things about DC statehood - all of a sudden the number of senators in the country would be divisible by 3 again! That hasn’t happened since before Alaska/Hawaii statehood. :slight_smile:

It seems to me that for the few statutory reasons something might require a 2/3rds vote in the Senate, a precise 68-34 result there might call for the VP to break the tie. (A measure that allows previously-barred-from-office-by-the-14th-amendment insurrectionists to hold federal office again, for example.) Presidential impeachment is a sticky question there, though, as the VP is not a disinterested party. That’s why the SC Chief Justice typically presides over presidential impeachment trials.

And again interestingly, Kamala may be able to preside in the upcoming trial after all since it will be of a president whose term has expired and that conflict-of-interest is not in play.

9 Likes

So how many of the Republican Senators actually stood on the Senate Floor and blamed Trump for the riot that evening?

2 Likes