Trump is asked, if he loses more Americans in 6 weeks than died in Vietnam War, does he deserve to be re-elected?

Oh we didn’t like Jared’s officially sanctioned black market in confiscated medical supplies?

We wanted some OTHER kind of coordinated federal effort?

15 Likes

Thank you for saving my ears, I clicked through hoping someone would spare me the neuroinflammation of listening directly.

8 Likes

Rate per capita leaves less discussion of testing coverage and so far has US well behind (ahead?) of other countries with 164 deaths per million population.

Now we are at a different place in the curve than a large number of these countries so these figures are likely to shift radically. The obvious incompetence of the timing and nature of response does say that this rate could have been a lot lower in the US.
I am even more worried for this fall and winter. With quarantine fatigue and virus-friendly weather conditions it is going to be harder than ever.

11 Likes

Because 50,000 is a shit load of people to lose when he purposefully dismantled our national response to pandemics that would have saved lives. Lives could have been saved if the federal government had acted quickly and he just denied there was a problem for WEEKS while it spread. We don’t even know how many people have ACTUALLY died of it, because of our continued lack of testing. The number of people dying is in part on him.

YES. He should be called out on his failures here. Just like Johnson was called out on HIS failures for deepening our involvement in Vietnam. That’s what we do with politicians who fuck up. Can we stop doing this thing where we pretend like only the absolute worst case scenario is worth criticizing him for, that because he’s so obvious unfit, we need to hold him to a different standard? There have been deaths, which were preventable and lives that are now in shambles. He is in part responsible for that state of affairs. It is our responsibility as citizens to discuss that and to bring it to light. Obama would have been impeached and removed from office by now for being this fucking incompetent…

How is this so fucking hard?

43 Likes

On one hand that’s a very obvious attack question, like asking “are you ever going to stop beating your wife?” But in Trump’s case it’s appropriate. He is so removed from normal, from rational, that you may as well just ask him brutal, leading questions. The point of asking the question isn’t to get an answer because any answer he gives to any question is bullshit anyway. The point of asking the question is to remind the public of reality.

9 Likes

It’s not a loaded question because the premise is entirely true and doesn’t actually make any damning assumptions.

12 Likes

If the Republicans had ever had the votes, he would have been impeached without pretext.

I feel like we are so far past what any president should have been removed from office for that it is almost irrelevant to make specific comparisons, though the depth of Republican bad faith is worth highlighting.

I hope that if Obama had gotten anywhere close to this his cabinet would have 25thed him out of office themselves.

3 Likes

By the time totals are complete, the US death rate will be substantially higher than now. Remember that Dolt 45 told companies that they didn’t have to report infected employees.

BTW the Statista figures are out of whack. Canada’s death rate is 1/2 of the US’s figure, not higher than.

6 Likes

He’s the ultimate example of a (far less than mediocre) white man constantly failing up. And people keep giving him pass, after pass, because they want to both sides this whole thing, and point to how it could be worse. :woman_shrugging: Why are people do blind?

15 Likes

Our motives are similar. Where we differ is the effectiveness/importance (?) of the question which I personally think was dim and clumsy.

Thinking about it more, I’m wondering if the question was nothing more than an effort to draw out one of his attacks for some great clicks. The mumbling answer is inconsequential, he “won” the exchange by doing nothing more than staying calm.

That’s fine if you feel like this was an important stand and maybe it will be a notable blip along the timeline, but I doubt it. I’m holding out for more.

1 Like

I disagree completely.

Turnip’s natural reliance on Gish gallop-stylized “I’ll answer the question I want not the one that I was asked” means that reasonable tactics will not work all the time.

Turnip must be thrown from his saddle of irreverence to de-fund his misfeasant rhetoric.

4 Likes

The only question Mass Murderer Trump deserves to answer at this point is, “Would you prefer your sentence be carried out by gas chamber, electric chair, or lethal injection?”

4 Likes

I’d prefer to give him the saddam treatment. Give him a very sturdy necktie and a really unsafe floor to stand on.

It’s traditional to hang traitors.

7 Likes

immurement.

1 Like

Can we tone it down with all the raw hate? I’m no fan of Trump but wishing death upon anyone is flat out wrong. Trump has clearly violated the law dozens (perhaps hundreds) of times and should be arrested for his actions. His ineptitude had clearly led to deaths of US citizens, asylum seekers, and unimaginable mental distress of children being separated and locked in cages. All these actions and countless more are both repugnant and deserve to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Nevertheless, death is not something that the state should be in charge of nor something that citizens should be wishing on each other. That’s how we arrived at this mess to begin with.

6 Likes

Ah, I remember when the president was accountable to the law. At least a little.

15 Likes

Who said Beetlejuice three times?

2 Likes

Give him a chance, maaaan, he’s working on it! He’s got at least 8 more months to get the death toll up there. I’m pretty sure he’ll easily hit that target, based on the way things are going.

Current official death tolls are huge undercounts due to a lack of testing. You get sick and die without having been tested? You don’t get counted. The increase in the death rate, post-COVID-19, indicates the official death toll may only record about half the deaths from the virus. Countries with functional testing programs have higher - and more accurate - counts relative to the US.

This is why people are suggesting the Trump administration is so relaxed about testing just as states are opening up - the official death toll will stay low as long as testing is insufficient, no matter how many people actually die from it.

What, one that didn’t channel all the goods to Trump’s political allies in red states? Sheesh, so demanding!

Prison, even a nice one, would be the worst thing that could be done to him. The humiliation would be absolutely soul-destroying. My dream is that he goes to prison and lives for a good long while, but maybe I’m just a bastard.

14 Likes

More thinly-veiled self-praise again: “We’ve made a lot of really good decisions”. The pratt is a menace to all humanity. To those who say ill-will should not be wished upon him, I, for one, would shed no tears if he expired - preferably through Covid-19, which would be adequate rough justice in my eyes.

2 Likes

Nah, you’re probably just a dread pirate.

Or we’re both bastards, because I’ve wished for some “to the pain”-style justice for Trump myself. I’m not sure it’s wrong to want Cheeto Hitler to face his well-earned consequences; I just wish Karma would hurry the hell up, it’s way overdue.

12 Likes