Trump is asked, if he loses more Americans in 6 weeks than died in Vietnam War, does he deserve to be re-elected?

Yeah, I’m also looking forward to seeing the fat orange bumpkin Trump wearing an orange jumpsuit. The color will definitely suit him well.

5 Likes

How about not tone policing?

22 Likes

Here is the problem. It probably does not matter what he says: 40% of the country will still support him no matter what. The approval rating is not only flat, it has also lost the bumps that signify any reaction.

7 Likes

Of course we would, but this isn’t a “coordinated federal effort” kind of country, under the best of circumstances.

It doesn’t matter, in any case. Our bad leadership is now urging everything to reopen, against all medical advice. So I expect our numbers to shoot up about two weeks from now, primarily in red states.

2 Likes

In this timeline, sometimes it isn’t.

If we want your wish to be true, we need to get back/move forward to a sane timeline.

6 Likes

But he also didn’t bother to answer a simple Yes or No question.
He just babbled on about how good a job he’s doing by not murdering EVERYBODY.

8 Likes

But but but… He’s private bone spur!

I thought he deflected the question rather too easily, that he had that answer prepared.

It wouldn’t necessarily be relevant to another president, but Trump famously avoided serving in Vietnam through multiple deferments, including a deferment for bone spurs in his heels, which somehow vanished completely and have never been heard of again in the 50 years since that deferment, except when talking about how he got a deferment for bone spurs in his heels.

Also he bragged about how avoiding STDs was his personal Vietnam.

And then there’s his feud with John McCain, who did serve in Vietnam and was a POW for years. And how McCain wasn’t a war hero but a loser who was captured, etc.

14 Likes

Threatening someone with stopping something they weren’t aware was happening, or affected by in any way. The horror!

I’m glad someone in the room with Agent Orange was doing something that wasn’t entirely passive-aggressive, but we still need better than fairly meaningless gotcha questions like this. There are plenty of things to press Dolt 45 on without trying to goad him into another crazy response that won’t change anything. If he’s this crazy, and no one’s talking 25A removal, I’m not sure it’s worth trying to make him sound crazier.

But I guess I’m just squinting through my bubble-vision and pounding the tribal drums. Good thing I don’t have to trash Trump, since he’s already trash.

2 Likes

That’s pretty wild, considering we have less than 5% of the world’s population.

8 Likes

While I agree with you, there is no need to inflate his numbers (he already does that, himself). That 40% of voters from the 2016 election represents about 25% or less of the adult population.

7 Likes

If I want to be charitable to the reporter asking, it’s relevant because unlike WWII, there are still a huge number of people alive who remember the Vietnam War, the way it changed the country’s political landscape, the way it was their generation that paid the price for their leaders’ decisions, and the fact that fighting it (or at least fighting it that way) was a choice, in a way that fighting WWII was not.

In other words: in the 1960s, making bad decisions that got this many Americans killed toppled presidencies and upended our political landscape across the country. It didn’t matter that other Cold War scenarios would have killed all humans on the planet.

7 Likes

He’s the one who keeps comparing this to a war. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

Again, it’s less than that. Nearly half the country can’t or doesn’t vote, so it’s more like 20-25%.

2 Likes

Trump honestly believes he’s royalty, and the tradition for bad royalty is decapitation.

3 Likes

Well, I mean, they re-elected Nixon.

Yeah but Nixon only presided over a portion of those deaths, and the deaths he did preside over were stretched out over a much longer period.

4 Likes

It’s fun that he’s talking like it’s over, since it’s not over, and he’s pressuring governors to reopen their states before it’s over, which will lead to even more deaths.

Just because we didn’t reach that 2 million mark instantly doesn’t mean we aren’t going to get there.

He’s also missing all that exercise on the golf course. Or is he still golfing? He’s probably still golfing.

Not to mention the goal of a good chunk of WW2 was centered around stopping the spread of Nazis. An apparent goal of Trump is to enable them to flourish within the US.

Also, if @vonbobo would like the comparison be to the number of Americans that died in WW2; between lifting quarantine too early, and round 2 of COVID hitting us in October-ish, we should be able to top 407,300 dead Americans by election day.

10 Likes

It’s not a serious question when the answer is already obvious to everybody.