Trump issues babble after signing Russia sanctions into law

LOL!!:rofl:

What you say is correct, except I don’t think the Dems need to convince a large group of white people at all (even if it can be done, which I doubt). They need to run a candidate with a positive approval rating, and give the 10% who held their noses and voted Trump a reason to vote Dem. The Dems only lost by a few dozen thousand in three states, with an unpopular candidate.

As you say, they have yet to show any ability to capitalize.

1 Like

No, but he likes has a crippling fixation on being “the winner” and is much too dumb to resolve, or even notice, the conflict.

And clearly, there are plenty of voters who like black-and-white certainty more than they worry about the obvious, severe psychological damage from which it stems.

1 Like

Reaction from the President of Mexico

3 Likes

If the Ds want to be effective its going to take more than winning the presidency. They need to start winning in congress and at the local level. Furthermore, they can’t win with razor margins, that just means everything they do will be undone on the next cycle.

You are right they can’t win over the worst bigots. But racial anxiety is a spectrum. Obama won a bunch of people who went on to be trump voters by de-emphasizing the threat of his blackness. But as soon as his blackness became a issue, he lost them (it started with his support of Henry Louis Gates for not wanting to be accosted in his own home and really went downhill when he said that if he had a son, his son would have looked a lot like Treyvon Martin).

Whites will still be the largest minority for the forseeable future but their loss of cultural hegemony makes them way more motivated than they have been before - people always get more worked up when they think they have something to lose versus thinking they have something to gain. So white anxiety must be dealt with head-on if the Ds are going to be strong enough to effect long-lasting policy changes.

1 Like

If my encounters with the oligarchy-types has led me to understand a few things … one is that when they leave for travels or vacation and they make sure that everyone knows about it (like by saying it will be a 17 day long trip) … it is not because they are looking for relaxations.

They are creating plausible deniability.

2 Likes

There’s a bit to that, but the data also suggests that the primary driver for Obama->Trump voters (who were few, but they did have some impact) was an interest in support for governmental intervention in the economy.

They voted Obama not because Obama neutralised racism, but because their racism was overcome by their opposition to Romney’s overtly plutocratic message (“corporations are people, my friend”, 47%, etc). Trump spun sufficient bullshit about jobs and Medicare to allow them to return to their natural home.

OTOH, there aren’t a lot of them. There are many more people to the left of the Democrats than there are between the parties.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.