Trump lawyer: authorities may not investigate him even if he publicly murdered someone

But that has no bearing on whether his records can be subpoenaed to investigate an accomplice. After all, it is unlikely that he managed all these crimes on his own.

8 Likes

he can’t handle toilet paper on his own…

15 Likes

Would that I had more than one like to give.

Yes. I suspect that might be what the SC comes down to, that the Congress is well within their right to carry out these sorts of investigations, trials, and removals.

Stupid timeline strikes again!

13 Likes

Wanda Sykes’ comment on that is that Sykes would stop a stranger to tell them there was toilet paper stuck to their shoe, but somehow Trump has secret service agents who didn’t care enough to bother.

30 Likes

I don’t think it was that they didn’t care, I think Trump is the kind of person that shoots the messenger. If they all keep their mouths shut he looks dumb to every one, but has no one to target. If they speak up then he looks dumb to a small group and takes that out on the one target he has.

19 Likes

I strongly suspect that there are SSAs who would hesitate before leaping in front of something moving incredibly fast.

6 Likes

So much of what this administration does is demonstrating how much of our system relies on norms, and how easily the fundamental underpinnings can be broken when an intended check on the President is complicit. The founders anticipated someone as corrupt and venal as Trump, but they couldn’t plan for a complicit Senate.

I used to think it was paranoid nonsense to speculate about what would happen if the President just announced that the Constitution doesn’t apply to him any longer, but turns out we’re finding out!

18 Likes

If that parody video of him shooting journalists and political opponents had turned out to be real, not a single Republican - not one - would condemn him for it. I cry for my country.

5 Likes

I wonder what the “constitutional originalist” argument would be here.

Maybe on Halloween Scalia will rise from his grave to pontificate about how YES this is exactly what the founding fathers intended.

4 Likes

“That’s some catch, that catch-22,” [Yossarian] observed.
“It’s the best there is,” Doc Daneeka agreed.

17 Likes

“L’etat, c’est moi” an unwise person once said.
Before they wisely separated his head.
For leaders since, the moral’s the thing:
Don’t behave like an arrogant king.

11 Likes

Agreed, I also suspect that Melania is shtupping her SSA

4 Likes

Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation was conducted under the same pretext: The President is absolutely above the law in every respect. This is how Special Counsel Robert Mueller established himself as grossly, and dangerously, incompetent.

1 Like

No severance pay for him!

stolen from PDQ Bach

6 Likes

Yes.

5 Likes

This makes me so furious I think I’m going to have a heart attack

To think that someone would actually argue this is valid is beyond infuriating and absolutely enraging!:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

That phrase is attributed to Louis XIV, who was not executed. He was an absolute monarch, so if he said it he wasn’t wrong.

His grandson Louis XVI was overthrown and executed during the French Revolution.

6 Likes

Oh, you and your historical accuracy. I have a fully paid-up poetic licence, I’ll have you know. (Though, admittedly, it is only a Class III Doggerel permit.)
:wink:

17 Likes

I don’t think people will be patient enough to wait until Baron’s son is on the throne.

4 Likes