Trump: "Maybe hate is what we need if we're going to get something done"

Exactly this. Millions of people weren’t fooled into voting for a guy that surprised them with his bigotry. He’s been a public figure and a proud bigot for decades. Rich CEO Trump decending on his golden escalator to tell America that Mexicans are rapists was, for many people, the perfect alternative to Hillary as well as Jeb!, Marco, and all the rest.

10 Likes

This makes me nervous, because it’s not going to make anyone suddenly think “omg, I never realised he was a massive racist”, but what it might do is advertise just how very racist you can be under the aegis of “well, the President of the United States says it”.

If this stupid fuckin’ tape of him using that word turns up, it’s not going to turn anyone against him. His response is going to be “yeah so what, it’s OK to say that”.

I think there is still a lot of denial about the fact that Turmp, and everything he represents, occupies the highest office in the land. There is no higher authority left to appeal to.

7 Likes

Fixed that for ya.

8 Likes

I admit that I’m only concerned with the ones that are capable of feeling regrets here. The rest can go to hell.

4 Likes

They can, but for some reason they just won’t. At least not soon enough.

President Trump definitely courted the racist, nativist and nationalist fringes and I’m sure all those nasty pieces of work did vote for him, probably some of them voting for the first time in years.

But don’t forget, not everyone gets the same media feeds you and I do.

I have rural relatives that were quite astonished to find out that Donald Trump’s a bigot, that he routinely stiffs his employees, that he’s deeply involved with organized crime. The information channels in their communities do not contain this information; they heard it from me first, and I had to prove it to them.

In this clip John Oliver demonstrates why Donald Trump will be re-elected.

When Bill Clinton signed the Telecommunications Act of 1996 I guess he didn’t see how his administration’s kowtowing to monopolists would end up.

Exactly! To hell with the racists and misogynists, sure, but it’s a huge mistake to think that Trump voters are all unreachable. It’s not a homogenous group; most of them are victims of (American, not Russian) media manipulation that is open and ongoing.

8 Likes

I agree: Hate will sweep the Republicans out of Congress and set up Traitor Trump for impeachment. My hatred of his dishonesty and my hatred of his treason motivate me daily to ask myself, (a) what have I done to resist Trump today, and (b) what have I done to help remove Trump from office today?

Hate will also help us continue pursuing Trump on criminal charges for as long as he lives. Regardless of what they eventually indict him for, it won’t begin to cover his crimes. No more of this garbage about only looking forward – unless Traitor Trump is punished to the fullest extent of the law, his example will open the floodgates to presidential crime the likes of which we can’t even begin to imagine yet.

2 Likes

From your mouth to God’s ears, I hope you’re right. I ask myself the same thing every day (what have I done to resist Trump today). What frightens me is the fact that Robert Mueller might not conclude that Trump is guilty of a ‘high crime’, which is a requirement to impeach him. We also must consider that a more frightening creature would replace him (Mike Pence) if he was removed from office. There’s a 50/50 chance that Mueller might conclude that Pence was aware of Russian collusion, which is impeachable as well. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

If they were able to ignore or miss every single time Trump did his Trump thing since the early 80s (ie, taking out full page ads calling for the death of the Central Park 5 and going on all sorts of talk shows to promote it), that’s an extraordinarily sheltered worldview indeed.

3 Likes

Well, that’s the thing, it’s not extraordinary at all in rural areas, just in urban ones. Those full page ads were in the New York Times, right? There’s tens of thousands of people in this country who have never even heard of that paper, and orders of magnitude more that have never seen a copy.

Some Trump voters get up at dawn to milk cows, then go to bed exhausted at 8pm after working hard all day to feed the nation, and the only news they get is the AM radio in the tractor or the local news on TV relayed through the missus at the dinner table. Their information feeds are overwhelmingly pro-Trump, and gerrymandering makes sure their votes count more than most.

When my Uncle died of lung cancer in the 1990s he was over 80 years old and had never taken a vacation in his life. His descendants only know the reality of Trump’s past because they have Internet access now and I can use that to show them the truth. But without intervention from someone like me - someone sympathetic to their issues who shows them no condescension - i’m pretty sure they’d all be Trump voters.

2 Likes
3 Likes

“Shoot, buddy, you say that like it’s a bad thing!”

FTFY. Midterms coming…

Unfortunately, this reminds me a a Simpson’s couch joke that was just “AOL loading Couch Joke” where the thing never actually loaded. It’s still my favorite couch joke.

3 Likes

For once, that doesn’t click as an Onion piece. Satire exaggerates to make its point.

3 Likes

“Misdemeanor” doesn’t seem nearly so high a bar, unless it means something radically different in context.

1 Like

Still waiting to see Bush and Cheney in the dock for all the shit they did

Democratic Party culture seems to be about demonizing the current opponent as uniquely monstrous and normalizing everything that happened before that. THIS NEXT ELECTION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION OF OUR LIFETIMES … just like all the others were

3 Likes

In 1974 Richard Nixon was not impeached for income tax evasion; the judiciary committee decided that purposely defrauding the United States for financial gain wasn’t criminal enough for impeachment in that case.

Earlier the same day, they decided not to impeach him for secretly bombing Cambodia; committing an act of war against another sovereign nation without congressional approval was apparently not an impeachment level offense either.

Nixon resigned before the charges that made it out of committee (obstructing the Watergate investigation, abuse of power, and failure to comply with House subpoenas) were voted on.

1 Like

Impeachment is a political process, not a legal one. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what congress thinks is an “impeachable offense.”

Whatever evidence Mueller finds is far less important than the party affiliation of the congress he presents it to.

5 Likes

“Getting something done” isn’t a good goal if what gets done is the wrong thing. Would you rather I just sit there or that I “get something done” by stabbing your mother in the chest? Generally, though, it’s not a binary choice; I could a) provide health care, safe and secure housing, adequate nutrition, or b) do nothing, or c) take away the government programs that provide the safety net in ©.
Trump and his co-conspirators are working tirelessly to carry out the © option.

1 Like