Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn resigns amid Russia scandal

Sacrificial goat to allow the rest to walk clean.

Now how do we get Trump to shitcan Gannon?

3 Likes

Dev predicted this, but Skrillex thought it wouldn’t happen for at least another week.

13 Likes

This, in any normal times, would bring yugre Congressional investigations and intelligence reviews from multiple agencies.

A special investigator should be appointed.

13 Likes

Jeff Gannon’s still around?!

2 Likes

Autocorrect problem. I am not changing it because an overweight pig that wants to throw everything in chaos seems about right.

11 Likes

I think the real news is, that the intelligence apparatus spied on phone calls of the incoming administration and uses the results at their discretion.
The real enemy of the American democracy is not crazy Trump and his fools but the omnipotent spies.

If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.

-Cardinal Richelieu

4 Likes

The US intelligence agencies have been openly monitoring calls to foreign governments for as long as they’ve existed. It’s routine to the point that it’s a standard plot feature in political dramas…

https://www.aol.com/article/2006/04/23/the-west-wing-transition/611096/

9 Likes

I thought it was intentional:

9 Likes

dunning-kruger for the win.

21 Likes

He just plain lacks it! He’s not all there. He’s a narcissistic sociopath, he’s hard-wired to be incompetent about self-evaluation. Their is not circuit in place, and the board is obsolete and degrading rapidly.

That said - the entire administration, and anyone lined up to replace the fallen (Pence is the flag example) needs to be barred from office as well. Anyone the current administration, or their associates in any way, shape or form, needs to be blocked from office.

This resignation is the tip of the iceberg. They’re going to work hard to contain it - hopefully the journos keep pounding hard.

This is bigger than Watergate.

11 Likes

From the NYT - how political parties defend their own:

Representative Devin Nunes, Republican of California and the chairman of the House intelligence committee, was supportive of Mr. Flynn until the end. “Washington, D.C., can be a rough town for honorable people, and Flynn — who has always been a soldier, not a politician — deserves America’s gratitude and respect,” Mr. Nunes said in a statement.

This, in the face of a national security scandal that may well topple the entire illegitimate administration. A ‘rough town for honorable people’. This is the current vogue with the GOP - re-frame, re-define, promulgate the lie, appeal to the base, shore up support.

I mean fuck - at some point, you walk away before the spray of fetid shit can’t be washed off.

8 Likes

Space… the final frontier. These are the Voyages of the starship, Shiterprise. On a four year mission. To explore religious divisions. To seek out new economic opportunities, and new banging hot models for our Dear Leader. To boldly go where no white supremacist misogynist orange buffoon has gone before…

7 Likes

In Australia, under certain circumstances, the Governor General can dissolve the government and force a new election. Is there nothing like that over there?

I’m guessing not, because as I understand it the office of President pretty much is the same as the office of Governor General here.

You could really use something like that right now.

8 Likes

On the subject of Trump’s “Team Destroy America”

I read a lot of science fiction, and sometimes play a game called “Which author is really a psychic scrying into the future, Nostradamus style”.

Before this I would have said “Frederick Pohl”, because of the book “The Space Merchants”. Aldous Huxley comes in at #2 for “Brave New World”, followed by Vernor Vinge’s short-story “The Accomplice” written in 1967 about that guy who winds up embezzling 4 million dollars worth of time time on his Company’s supercomputer network in order to create a 3D rendered movie adaptation of the Hobbit, and creates a new art form in the process,

But Trump seems to be rapidly giving Stephen King a boost into the top 5 for this category for having written “The Dead Zone” (remember that movie with Christoper Walken playing a psychic who sees glimpses of the future and runs into a political candidate who he sees as the next president & bringer of the apocalypse).

Looking at this administration I am amazed that Stephen King’s “The Dead Zone” wasn’t playing on continuous loop on some TV stations to give people an insight into what a Trump presidency would look like if he got elected.

I can easily imagine Trump running around and distracting a sniper by using a live baby as a human shield.

8 Likes

Now this is a Valentine’s gift I like!

Might be hope yet for us

1 Like

John Brunner.

Shockwave Rider for the optimists, The Sheep Look Up for the rest of us.

7 Likes

Why can’t it The Stone That Never Came Down, dammit?

“Out like Flynn”

12 Likes

Good news. The resistance has to keep on this, though. Putin is playing a long game here, and not just in the U.S. Carter “Gazprom” Page and Paul Manafort still wield influence over their boss on behalf of Russia, it’s likely that the current occupant of the Oval Office himself is in hock to Russian banks, and the destabilisation of liberal-democratic institutions in the West continues apace.

7 Likes

There is a mechanism. IIRC, congress can impeach - but that’s two years away, needs democrats majority. But in the next two years, thw government itself can de-throne him - needs GOP/Dem co-operation.

That’s why we can be so confident that Trump Inc will move fast to consolidate power, terrify the population (eg with an ‘Iran war’), and outfox potential attempts to unseat him and his.

7 Likes