Trump pardons Conrad Black, convicted fraudster who wrote blowjob biography of him

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/16/trump-pardons-conrad-black-co.html

2 Likes

Fixed: Gawd bless 'murica.

America has swamped.

13 Likes

Add it to the articles of impeachment: self-interested and corrupt application of presidential pardon powers. Deadly serious.

25 Likes

Imprisoned courtier writes sycophantic book or poem of praise, wins freedom with a wave of the monarch’s hand. Those calling for a return to traditional values will be pleased.

I praise the King
Throughout his land,
And keenly sing
His open hand,
His hand so free
With golden spoil:
But vice-like, he
Grips his own soil.

Bracelets of gold
He breaks in two
And, uncontrolled,
Pours gifts on you:
The lavish King
Loads you with treasure,
And everything
Is for your pleasure.

‘Gems from wrist he gives,
Glittering armlets rives:
Lavish ring-despiser
Loves not hoarding miser.
Frodi’s flour of gold
Gladdens rovers bold;
Prince bestoweth scorning
Pebbles hand-adorning.

‘Foemen might not stand
For his deathful brand;
Yew-bow loudly sang,
Sword-blades meeting rang.
Lances aye were cast,
Still he the land held fast,
Proud Eric prince renowned;
And praise his feats hath crowned.

‘Monarch, at thy will
Judge my minstrel skill:
Silence thus to find
Sweetly cheered my mind.
Moved my mouth with word
From my heart’s ground stirred,
Draught of Odin’s wave
Due to warrior brave.

‘Silence I have broken,
A sovereign’s glory spoken:
Words I knew well-fitting
Warrior-council sitting.
Praise from heart I bring,
Praise to honoured king:
Plain I sang and clear
Song that all could hear.’

– Egill Skallagrimsson, The Head-Ransom

16 Likes

BTW, Black was convicted of fraud and obstruction of justice, two crimes Trump is also guilty of.

25 Likes

15 Likes

Trump might as well give Conrad Black a medal along with the pardon, because it’s a reward for loyal service

8 Likes

tumblr_prazurjEwK1v9fn1io1_400

8 Likes

Oh please, these guys are only “criminals” because of liberal bias in our police departments and courts, and the like . . . the law.

19 Likes

God help America!

4 Likes

My liberal-bias ancestors, God bless 'em, fought in the Enlightenment for today’s liberal-bias laws.

Don’t ever give up the fight for rational thought and human worth.

14 Likes

There is honor among thieves.

6 Likes

gonna get that swamp drained any day now… just wait.

6 Likes

There are honorariums among thieves.

11 Likes

It’s an amazing feat Trump has pulled… Managing to convince so many rubes that he’s on their side, giving them nothing but tweets and a thumb in the eye of “lefties”, all the while enriching himself and his friends. At least Caesar gave the pols victory, bread and circuses, so it’s understandable how they could love him… Trump gives the ordinary people nothing but contempt. He’s a grifter on every level.

7 Likes

So, the book came out almost exactly a year ago? I imagine the odds are low that Mr. Black would revise his opinion on the basis of anything that happened in the intervening time.

I might ponder who would be the audience for such a book. I would expect there to be a very small cross-section of people interested in seeking out Mr. Black’s opinion but also able to maintain a willful blindness to Trump’s awfulness. (Yes, there are five-star reviews on Amazon, but I would also expect many of those to be shill reviews, or at least reviews from people who never even bothered opening the book.)

1 Like

Never a tit without its tat–probably more often than plain old honor.

1 Like

Conrad Black is a rich dope piece of trash. So is Donald Trump. Are pardons irreversible? That is to say, if we ever return to the rule of law, can we re-punish the still-guilty?

3 Likes

I bet there’s a whoooole lotta people sitting in prison who just started writing biographies of Trump.

7 Likes

you didn’t even need to do an eye-mouth 'shop. He has mouth-eyes all by himself :smiley:

1 Like