Trump: "People of faith" led the "abolition of civil rights"

"When I say something that you might think is a gaffe, it’s on purpose; it’s not a gaffe."

tumblr_p2oi99QpuF1w3u03zo1_540

18 Likes

To Trump, a “gaffe” is just a misspelled “giraffe.”

7 Likes

Deidara approves!

2 Likes

All id, all the time.

6 Likes

Hamberder time.

5 Likes

It’s not a gaffe if he doesn’t know it’s wrong!

I think he left out a section there about the “abolition of [slavery and the advancement of] civil rights.” But he didn’t really understand what he was saying, and his usual dynamic where the denies he made a mistake but then doubles down on it couldn’t really work anyways. (E.g. That speech where he said, with great emphasis, that someone went by “DJ,” realized that didn’t work since the guy’s first name was “Celestino” and “corrected” himself by saying that’s what other people called him, whereas Trump called him “CJ.”)

2 Likes

Yeah, I’d relish it more if I didn’t know that among the genuinely decent people of faith there lurk those who would really love to both abolish civil rights and to get the credit for it. Until they clean up that mess I hold “people of faith” just as responsible as anyone who’d grant an audience to Trump for the very real attack on civil rights we’ve seen recently.

4 Likes

I refuse to click thru to any HuffPo article. The site is so freaking messed up with ads and crap, it is useless to me.

Yes, this is what strikes me as most alarming as well. Even if we elide the inexplicable gaffe, what he apparently intended was to whitewash the last few decades of American history. The “great strides” “led by people of faith” he enumerates are old. Brown v. Board of Education was 65 years ago. The “people of faith” that were part of that change are mostly dead. The GOP that was in favor of civil rights is gone.

Today, we instead have the GOP pushing more and more openly for suppression of the black vote, for pushing back on the long-overdue effects of the #MeToo movement, we even have infamous one-time-Trump-supporter Peter Thiel lamenting “the the extension of the franchise to women.”

Today, if you’re a “person of faith” in the sense that Trump meant it (meaning nominally Christian) and you’re actually following the tenets of your faith, wherever they may lead, I really think you’d have a hard time being a GOP supporter or a Trump supporter. Not only because you would likely disapprove of many prominent individual GOP politicians, but more importantly because you’d disapprove of what the GOP does and aims to do.

Trump is offering “people of faith” a bridge of cognitive dissonance, a way to resolve what should be a personal moral crisis. “People like me were part of good things in grandpappy’s day - and now we’re all supporting the GOP, so… this must be okay, right?”

If you’re turning to Donald Trump for moral direction, you are lost indeed.

15 Likes

Counterpoint: the superego was invented by a cocaine-addled Austrian misogynist.

2 Likes

With mommy issues… lol

Which would put him square in the center of white middle class America.

2 Likes

…and abolish the ~50% (please adjust this value to your echo chamber value) of the ones voted for him?

48% of the vote, but about 1/4 of the eligible voters. Which has now declined significantly.

2 Likes

Between all the recent blackface scandals and now Trump espousing his infinite wisdom on civil rights issues all I can say is worst Black History Month ever.

11 Likes

Nope. Nixon was duly elected, but when his crimes were revealed, he was impeached. Did that abolish the votes of those who voted for Nixon?

We already know Trump and his family are violating the Emoluments Clause every chance they get. And the Mueller investigation keeps racking up more and more indictments, getting ever closer to the Cheeto-in-Chief. Not to mention all the other state and federal investigations that have popped up recently. When Trump is held accountable for his crimes, it won’t invalidate any votes. But it will be justice. And by god(dess), it needs to happen soon.

8 Likes

Well, he would have been, but he resigned when it became clear that people who had supported him would now vote for impeachment. Clinton and Johnson were the only presidents who were impeached, but neither got removed from office.

11 Likes

Well, if I had my say, I’d make it so that voting for Trump would disqualify you from voting in the next couple of elections. It’s a good thing I’m not in charge of America.

1 Like

I’d put the names of Trump voters on walls of shame within publicly funded urinals… right above the trough. So yeah…

3 Likes

Exactly. Faith is belief in the face of the absence of supporting proof or the presence of proof to the contrary. If you don’t know it’s not true it’s not faith.

2 Likes