Trump praises mass-execution of Muslims with bullets dipped in pigs' blood

I don’t understand the logic of this myth. Muslims think pigs are unclean, but the Indian Mutiny was a case of Muslims fighting against an enemy that they believed kept their musket balls encased in pig fat. If anything, it would just be perceived as insulting and inspire more attacks, not less. When you literally try to terrorize a population, there’s a point at which people don’t give a shit if you’re causing them to suffer, as long as they get a chance to make you suffer. Did the people who buy this bullshit never get into fights with their siblings?

37 Likes

Dunno. Does squabbling over who inherits the family summer estate count?

4 Likes

Yes, definitely a very difficult task. Reiser seemed to think it’d be pretty simple but as it turns out it’s really not. Not to get too morbid, but what the hell, why not - after he was caught I hoped they’d change the name of the filesystem from ReiserFS to KillerFS. Seemed like it would have more cachet.

3 Likes

Just jumping in to point out that Hans Reiser is a poster child for that thing where people with specific intelligence/expertise think they have general intelligence/expertise, but are amazingly, spectacularly wrong.

16 Likes

Why use phony Philippine-American War incidents? If Trump wants a real example, I’m sure he’d love Lidice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidice

2 Likes

Problem is that the police see this stuff every day. When a user comes to me and claims not to have deleted a file which “just disappeared” from their computer I go yeah right because its the third time this week and I know all the excuses. Likewise the cops know all the permutations of husband kills wife.

He got caught in a traffic stop with a seat missing from his car. How many people drive around like that with no good reason?

2 Likes

Like certain people who are good (enough) at real estate development then decide that this would make them a fantastic, amazing POTUS?

3 Likes

You know, I don’t even think Trump’s that great at real estate. Financially, he would have made more putting his inheritance into index funds.

Reiser, though, really knew file systems! But he did not know how to get away with murder, and he certainly did not know how to make himself look like a doddering harmless nerd in court.

7 Likes

I have no idea who Hans Reiser is, but this thread is giving me John Haigh vibes.

1 Like

Sure, there are better examples than Trump, it was just too easy a shot to not take.

Reiser, man, that guy was really quite brilliant in filesystems domain and also, uh, really terrible elsewhere. He did have two books on homicide investigation in his car, so he was trying to catch up…

A better example might be the Soylent guy who was running a tech. startup that was failing so he decided to pivot to disrupting food by quickly studying some nutrition guidelines and throwing together chemicals that approximate them resulting in a slurry with a glycemic index of 65.

6 Likes

That’s right. There’s an old fantasy that gets trotted out every time it’s time to hate Muslims. I can remember it back to the Iran hostage crisis. We’re supposed to parachute pigs into whatever town or city, or maybe carpet-bomb the entire country with billions of pigs, because pigs are kryptonite to Islam or something. IANAM, but I don’t think that’s how it works.

10 Likes

Maybe Trump is a Muslim himself and actually thinks the pig blood is sending them to hell.

2 Likes

But, holy shit. What a shitshow the story of his trial was.

I have a hard time thinking of another true-crime story where the judges and jury had so much WTF to sift through.

4 Likes

My takeaway is that as an agnostic humanist, we need to A. become politically unpopular and B. be very vocal about our disapproval of the combination of steak and beer.

6 Likes

The part where Reiser’s former friend, Sean Sturgeon, turned himself in right when the trial was starting, claiming to have killed eight people and having previously dated Reiser’s wife, set the tone of how surreal the whole trial became.

2 Likes

I love how these bigots think that pig’s blood is like some sort of holy water that repels Muslims. I don’t think it actually works that way…

5 Likes

Also evocatively known as FOOF! (The exclamation point is a required part of the chemical formula.)

2 Likes

Genuine question - how does this not qualify as incitement to violence?

Also - at what point can we consider Trump to have jumped the shark, and has it happened yet?

10 Likes
13 Likes

You don’t know! It tastes good and I like it! Not everybody likes the whole eating thing anyway! It fits in to my hectic, modern lifestyle! We’ll all be living in the future with pure fluids and you’ll be rotting in the ground, all slimy and organic! I’m a robot!

4 Likes