Trump reiterates his love for accused child molester Roy Moore in new tweet

What the hell dude? She was 14. Child molestation is what that was. Deserving of a shank death in prison.

5 Likes

It’s bullshit, but it’s what Roy Moore’s supporters believe. If you want to convince them of anything, you have to take their existing worldview into account.

I’m not advocating this view, I’m just reporting.

4 Likes

This exactly. A huge majority of these people don’t care about Moore and probably don’t really care about his opponent. They’re just gleeful about “making liberals cry”.

Which, to be honest, I will be doing if the majority of Alabamans decide that a criminal-minded racist gay-hating pedophile is a better choice than, y’know, not those things.

6 Likes

Or not. Fuck these assholes. I’m tired of bending over backwards to accomodate troglodytes. They are very clear that they have no intention of doing that for anyone who doesn’t fit into their world view. They want a theocratic state, and we shouldn’t fucking give it to them.

8 Likes

Trouble is, this fight is far larger than Roy Moore. He’s got Steve Bannon as his primary cheerleader, down there in Alabama giving speeches on his behalf, claiming that “Hollywood and the media and liberal elites are trying to frame this poor man”, and framing this as Alabama’s opportunity to “speak for themselves”.

2 Likes

And we should be fighting them, not trying to accomadate them, because they would destroy those of us who don’t want to live in a theocracy, with force, if needs be.

9 Likes

A few months ago, BB shared an article on how to be more persuasive when reaching across the political divide in conversation. One key point I recall was making an effort to reframe your concerns within their values schema.

My head hurts trying to think of how that approach could apply here.

4 Likes

I couldn’t find that BB link but I did find these articles:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/11/15/opinion/sunday/the-key-to-political-persuasion.html

https://www.fastcompany.com/3067593/how-to-use-moral-reframing-to-persuade-conservatives-to-support-immigration

3 Likes

You know, even if he wasn’t a pedophile, I would still be against Moore.

Why did we not just let the freaking South secede?!

2 Likes

The Onion has been on fire lately.

5 Likes

my theory is that trump picks stupid positions precisely to show that he can. if he’s able to push candidates to victory who wouldn’t otherwise win, he cementing his power over the system.

it’s why, i think, he backed strange instead of moore initially. moore was the more likely to win and trump was testing his muscle. that failed, but this situation is like getting a brand new chance.

1 Like

So what? They’d cut their own child’s head off just because they like fucking with half-decent people?

4 Likes

It’s as if it’s an aspirational goal (that, and getting away with it).

Love is an awfully strong word for someone like trump. Probably “demands the submission of” would fit better.

1 Like
2 Likes

All incoming information gets tumbled like Tetris blocks until it fits their world.

1 Like

Exactly. I can find common ground on a number of issues. I can’t find common ground on the idea that I’m WORTH LESS for existing. That’s BS and I can’t see how I’m meant to do that.

9 Likes

Yes, I get it. I disagree. I grew up in the south, so I know their racist, sexist, ultra-religious world view. Have I given anyone reason here think I’m ignorant of it?

You might need to weaponize your empathy, but I see no need, since I grew up around this shit and understand what’s happening and why.

8 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Instead of looking for ways to bring them into the tent, the Dems have to make a firm decision to write off the Know-Nothing 27% of the electorate (writing off the 3% greedpig plutocrats and their donations will be harder for them, but it’s still doable). No more pandering to delusions about supernatural forces, no more pandering to Joe-Duh-Plumber* delusions that everyone can be a $250-thousandaire under a neoliberal system, no more attempts to make appeals to “hard-working Americans…white Americans” who are deluded that their skin colour makes them superior beings.

That still leaves the Dems with a very large number of conservative-leaning voters who can be reasoned with, but candidates for federal office have to actually campaign in the swing states. Not doing so leads to disaster, as we saw in November of 2016.

[* disclaimer: Joe was not his real name, and he was an unlicensed plumber]

9 Likes