Trump riot: U.S. Attorney's Office in D.C. charges 55 people federally — unlawful entry, assault, theft, and weapons charges

“America”? Like a lot of others, I’ve lived there a long time, and known that for a long time.

19 Likes

Word: I knew it when the GOP accepted him as their nominee.

18 Likes

My favorite part of this arrest story is that he basically live-streamed his own Federal crimes. The investigators didn’t even have to leave their desks for this one.

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1347965953590648832

16 Likes

It’s more like the day 45’s supporters couldn’t continue to deny it and still be sure many others would believe them.

14 Likes

Exactly.

9 Likes

So, the fascist president you voted for twice just tried and failed to incite a coup…

20 Likes

I feel like everyone knew it when the GOP accepted him as a nominee, and then somehow various people selectively forgot when he became president. Just like that Trump was a vain dimwitted racist was hardly in question before, except Americans could not possibly elect and be led by someone like that, so four years of wondering what his incoherent and “racially charged” speech could possibly be about.

17 Likes

I don’t think they ever forgot. Most of them gnashed their teeth over his popularity, positioned themselves to profit while holding their noses, mocked him when they thought no one could overhear it, and made their plans to take advantage of the base he built after he was gone. Only a few really went along for the ride, because it’s hard to fake liking or respecting a person like him in the long term. That’s partly why his administration was such a revolving door for staff and appointees (as well as source of leaks and tell-all books).

Those that recognized and supported him early on (and still do) are very much like him. They recognize what vile traits they have in common, and it’s just another reason why I’d like to see them follow him on the way out.

17 Likes

These are the fascists in your neighbourhood,
in your neighbourhood,
in your neighbourhood
Oh, these are the fascists in your neighbourhood,
The seditious traitors that you meet each day…

9 Likes

Nothing except avoiding making two posts in succession. I’ve been on forums where that is not allowed, so I assumed that it isn’t allowed here.

4 Likes

In the days leading up to Wednesday’s events, a new brand of tourist could be spotted around town: red-capped, often with some form of American flag paraphernalia, and likely without a mask. It seems to have been a sort of weekend-vacation/coup bundle deal. “It had the feeling of, like, fascist Disneyworld,” said the federal employee. “ We go, we do some shopping, we go to a nice restaurant in Georgetown, and then we strap on our Glocks and we march on the Capitol.

11 Likes

Trump Riot doesn’t really state what happened. This was the Trump Insurrection!

1 Like

Ah, thanks.

(My experience here is that two posts in a row is fine, but the system doesn’t allow more than that.)

7 Likes

A Twitter link in this article shows a lengthy conversation between a citizen journalist and the Punisher patch man (who had the Glock and the handful of zip-tie cuffs) as the insurrectionists relaxed in a hotel public area later in the evening. It’s kind of chilling how calm the guy appears, but I feel like he could have flipped at any moment.

10 Likes

I have a difficult time with some of what he says. Likening the riot to Kristallnacht is not cool, but the message of support for Biden and his visceral take on Trump and Trumpians is pretty cool.

I also dig his message of holding Trump’s Republican supporters in Congress accountable. Just putting these folks in jail isn’t enough. The loudmouths who provoked it need to be recognized as what they are, now and in the future.

11 Likes

This could get interesting.

Add these assholes too!

15 Likes

The AL AG Is calling for an internal investigation of the group he heads. So, anything interesting can be covered up, disappeared or spun.

SPLC is calling bullshit:

15 Likes

I particularly like how these guys deliberately agreed to not wear masks as some kind of protest against COVID restrictions. So they had their own little superspreader event, AND they were easy to ID from all video, most of which they took themselves.

“Hey! Lets break the law, and put video of us breaking the law up on the internets!! Take that, libtards!”

Stupidity all around. Moronic president has moronic followers.

10 Likes

I am reminded of this a lot:

Video taping this crime spree

That said, you know who doesn’t need any protection from being identified? People who successfully install their leader to a set of power, the way these people were led to believe they would. A lot of what happened is risible, to be sure, to levels that are hard to believe. But let’s not mistake them for petty criminals who didn’t know how to do petty crime. That’s not what they were after.

16 Likes

Pro tip: Wisdom is NOT a dump stat.

7 Likes