Trump rolls back Obama-era protections for transgender students

“threaten your beliefs”

and that says it all right there. being gay or trans is not a belief. it’s a fact of life.

17 Likes

That’s almost worse. Trump and Sessions are amoral psychopaths; DeVos knew this would hurt children but signed off on it anyway, and for what? To keep her new job? To “effect change from within”?

People who choose to be members of the Trump administration don’t deserve sympathy or credit.

19 Likes

I don’t know that they listen to citizens, but you can try mailing the Supreme Court to prime them to protect children.

Supreme Court of the United States
1 First Street, NE
Washington, DC 20543

4 Likes

Indeed. Fuck her and her concerns. If she couldn’t take a stand despite supposedly being against this bill she’s no better than that bigoted fucker Sessions.

11 Likes

I don’t like that picture, because she looks like she is supporting next months Red Nose Day (by doing things that ensure the continued need for Comic Relief, apparently).

I’m certain that Lenny Henry wouldn’t want the association either

As for Trump/Sessions/DeVos, let’s stop the euphemisms and call this action exactly what it is.

Child Abuse

14 Likes

Not even the Nazis were this blindly self destructive.

1 Like

Transgender people were among the first to be targeted by the Nazis.

On 6 May 1933, while Hirschfeld was on a lecture-tour of the US, the Deutsche Studentenschaft made an organised attack on the Institute of Sex Research. A few days later, the Institute’s library and archives were publicly hauled out and burned in the streets of the Opernplatz. Around 20,000 books and journals, and 5,000 images, were destroyed. Also seized were the Institute’s extensive lists of names and addresses. In the midst of the burning, Joseph Goebbels gave a political speech to a crowd of around 40,000 people. The leaders of the Deutsche Studentenschaft also proclaimed their own Feuersprüche (fire decrees). Also books by Jewish writers, and pacifists such as Erich Maria Remarque, were removed from local public libraries and the Humboldt University, and were burned.

22 Likes

I do wonder whether in fifty years’ time separate sex bathrooms will look as weird as the separate race bathrooms in the history books look today. If you have a lot of users, urinals might make better use of limited space. But that’s about it, isn’t it? Unless, they want to keep women there for other things, such as breastfeeding, menstruation…

2 Likes

Sure, trump doesn’t care, he’s just pandering to the “state’s rights” crowd, the red states who would jump on the chance to run all the minorities they consider undesirable out of their territory.

2 Likes

I was in a unisex bathroom the other day that was very sensibly designed: six floor-to-ceiling stalls surrounding three sinks. It was cleaner than your average men’s room, too. No-one expressed any discomfort, indicating an absence of conservatives projecting their anxieties/desires about public restrooms being venues for voyeurism and illicit pick-ups.

12 Likes

This is coming from the same candidate who would pick Mike Pence as his Vice President and whose cabinet is loaded with extremely vocal opponents of LGBT rights including Betsy DeVos who allegedly opposed rolling back protections for transgender students.

Yeah, it’s easy to just say Trump is a liar, but doing my best to call out specifics. Most of his supporters are really good at ignoring reality but maybe the facts will get through to a few of them.

11 Likes

Bears repeating. These are the kids Trump wants to force into the rest room with himself and Milo.

29 Likes

I would suggest changing the title to “GOP Administration rolls back” or “Republican Administration”. We are giving Trump too much credit and blame, these actions are widely owned by the party and their voters.

9 Likes

This guy is such an idiot that his shirtless profile pic does not even make me think less of him.

I do give him credit for saying “my bad” instead of NUH UH ALL TRANS WOMEN ARE 6’6" AND COVERED IN BODY HAIR!!!1!

ETA: A very teeeensy tiiiiny bit of credit, because my standards have fallen through the floor apparently.

9 Likes

When the NC bathroom bill was hitting the news I recall seeing plenty of trans men sending pictures of themselves saying, “Do you want me in your bathroom?” Of course the guys who were doing this were almost over-the-top stereotypical macho guys with big muscles, some of them shirtless, I recall a cowboy hat in the mix.

And I was super glad they did it, because trans women largely couldn’t. Sending out a picture of yourself and saying, “I’m a trans woman” is inviting danger. Sending out a picture of yourself saying, “I’m a trans man” when you look like you could kick the ass of the internet trolls is still inviting danger, but to a much lesser degree. Especially since the anti-trans rhetoric around bathrooms is very focused on women (who are apparently sexual predators instead of just going to the bathroom?) and not around men (because the kind of men who support this bill would probably joke Mike Huckabee style about wanting “women” to use their bathrooms).

So I love that ad, and I love that it obviously educated at least one moron (featured in the comments). It just also reminds me of how dangerous it is to be trans - you need a cis doppelganger for protection.

23 Likes

Psychological diagnosis are used to help people understand their illnesses and improve their understanding of how their diseases challenge them so they can treat them. They help their loved ones understand behavior that is out of the ordinary so they can help they can help them stay healthy. They are not intended to slander people.

23 Likes

States rights just mean that the states are unchecked to do nasty things. Grew up in Alabama. Learned all about our sacred states rights and how that was really what the civil war was all about; not slavery.

13 Likes

I got into a discussion about that with a family member who kept insisting the Civil War was not about slavery but “states’ rights”.

The discussion ended when I asked, “What rights were Southern states fighting for?”

27 Likes

Funny how such folks rarely have an answer for that simple question.

16 Likes

Yup.

Let me say that I totally understand wanting to hurl every available insult at the clown-in-chief who can never be sufficiently insulted. But using mental illness and disability as slander is ableist. Here’s a litmus test for progressives. Would you call trump a retard? If not, it has nothing to do with your esteem of him, but with your recognition that people with learning disabilities shouldn’t be thrown under the Pussy Grabber’s bus like human ammo. Similarly, people with personality disorders aren’t evil. Trump is evil. When one tries to explain his evil away as a mental disorder, they’re both rationalizing him, and using mental illness as an insult. It can’t be an insult to one person and not an insult to the rest. No one is going to stop the people who do this; no one is trying to censor them; they can do it if they want. But if they’re careless with words and collateral damage, it reflects poorly on their empathy and consideration for others.

15 Likes