Trump says coronavirus restrictions should extend to April 30, forget the Easter thing

15 Likes

Voted OUT? That won’t happen if Biden is the candidate.

For all the outrage that I read all the time about the Orange Cheeto, few want to acknowledge that Trump is not an outlier or an exception – he’s a symptom, he’s “exhibit A” of the cruelty of the biggest terrorist state: USA.

You have been supporting dictators, supporting coups, drone-bombing marriage parties, terrorizing the whole world with your economy and your soldiers… and this Orange Monstrosity you choose to hate?

Hate Trump all you want, but you’ll replace him with somebody quite like him – the only difference will be a thin veneer of humanity that will allow you guys to stay in denial regarding the absolute horror and cruelty that has always been the trademark of the USA.

4 Likes

Is ok, Easter Bunny could use the time off…

4 Likes

I loathe the orange idiot as much as the next rational person. He’s botched the country’s readiness and response to this crisis along with everything else since taking office. He routinely lies, misleads, abuses his power, etc. He surrounds himself with corrupt miscreants and criminals. His administration is completely disfunctional and outrageously dangerous and it will take decades to repair the damage he’s done to our country. He stokes his base with racist, xenophobic bullshit. He’s a narcissistic psychopathic television personality who pretends to be great at business when his record shows otherwise. We must get him out of office.

HOWEVER, I’m not convinced the actions reported in this article are really evidence of how terrible he’s been handling this.

• He said he’d like to see the country re-opened by Easter. Well, a lot of people would have liked to have seen that happen. Aspirations aren’t always realistic. When he said that, we feared he would actually try to re-open the country by then, regardless of the danger.

• Now he’s signalling that Easter wasn’t a realistic deadline. He says he’s consulting with the medical experts. We should be thankful for that.

He goes off script a lot, but I suspect he’s been advised to keep giving out near-term hope for the mental well-being of the population. If you told everyone in the country they have to deal with restrictions and the ensuing economic collapse for a long period of indeterminate length, you’re going to overwhelm people and get low compliance. Tell them it’s temporary. Once they’re used to it, tell them it’s going to take longer than anticipated. Eventually, it becomes the new norm.

Just wait until he declares it’s too unsafe to hold elections in November and that he should remain president until the crisis has passed.

2 Likes

It’s a malignant narcissist’s wet dream; any attention is good attention. Note how he had cowardly abandoned press conferences entirely until this crisis?! Now he uses the bully pulpit (pun intended) to replace his deranged rallies, and his deplorable followers suck back his combative, vain, blame-shifting like so much orange covfefe. All the press coverage is feeding the disinformation virus.

6 Likes

3 Likes

My septuagenarian right-wing parents (and surely many others) are certain Trump had his fingers crossed behind his back when he said this, and that their unwitting plan to acquire the virus on or around Easter is still a go.

Good point. But it’s also obvious his degenerate mind is degenerating. It’s meta!

5 Likes

No arguments here.

1 Like

I’m Canadian.

3 Likes

Absolute horror and cruelty? You have confused the US with the Republican Party - since the 80’s, at least. There are plenty of people who acknowledge that Trumpism will not die with Trump’s removal from office. Just as there are plenty of people who recognize that the Democratic nominee probably won’t be worlds better. I don’t know what you mean to imply by saying otherwise, unless you have a particular bone to pick. Are there any governments in the world that don’t have some skeletons? I mean, besides wherever you live, of course. No one who throws around that much vitriol can live in anything less than a utopia.

2 Likes

There’s no other country with the drone power that the US has. Even the beloved Obama drone-bombed the shit out of Yemen.

My particular bone to pick? US has the power to reach anybody, anywhere, and it runs chills down my spine for them to have that power – a power that NOBODY awarded them.

2 Likes

Who would award that power ?

Let everyone out for Hitler’s Deathday, yay!

I understand that a wealthy country owning a bunch of drones, and having the ability to use them, makes you uneasy. And I understand that some of the targets of those drones have been problematic. Neither of those things means “absolute horror and cruelty” has always been a trademark of the USA. Hyperbole is dumb.

While I don’t appreciate the “dumb” judgement, here in Argentina we lost real, actual people, on a coup of 1976 while Kissinger knew and said “ok do it quickly”.

Might be hyperbole to you, but US throws a tantrum and the rest of the world suffers. You’re just realizing it now, with Trump, because some of those guns are turning on you.

US is an evil force on the planet and you’re deluded if you think otherwise – while I’m still “dumb” I guess.

6 Likes

Nobody should have that power and US should not invade sovereign countries with their drones. If any other country did that, you guys would go nuts.

3 Likes

I said that what you said, or at least the rhetorical device you were using, was dumb. I don’t think you’re dumb. You just have strong feelings about the US. I get that. For example, I feel pretty strongly about the current wave of violence against women in Argentina. Doesn’t mean I could reasonably call your country “the ultimate misogynist utopia” or some other hyperbolic thing.

I think Henry Kissinger is a war criminal that should have been thrown in prison at the very least, same with many other US leaders and their cronies over the years. But I refuse to use the failings of a government to completely condemn an entire country. Guess that’s my delusion talking.

It’s not the failings of a single government. Since the Monroe doctrine and even more so after the Cold War, the US industrial-military complex acts like they own their “back yard” of South America.

You don’t want to condemn an entire country, FINE. But it’s really comfy to say “I don’t know, I just live here” while your government does unspeakable things to other countries over and over and over again for the last 80 years or so.

4 Likes

I don’t know, I just live here.

1 Like