Trump Spokesmonster Scottie Nell Hughes: 'There's No Such Thing as Facts'

Yes but one can use some or all of the same facts and arrive at either different truths, or out right lies, or shady speculation.

2 Likes

Oh yeah?

19 Likes

He can just say whatever he wants because a larger segment just wants to believe it. It’s freeing for some, frightening for the rest of us.

3 Likes

Designer: Glass was made that way on purpose as an aesthetic choice.

Marketer: Research shows people like bigger glasses.

Wholesaler: I found a bunch of these large glasses in the back and just trying to move them.

Customer: I wanted a coffee cup!

23 Likes

“We deeply regret the current climate of disregard for reality and have no idea how it came about.”

8 Likes

Geez. How do you deal with that? I couldn’t!

1 Like

Terry Eagleton, anyone?

Statements of fact are after all statements, which presumes a number of questionable judgements: that those statements are worth making, perhaps more worth making than certain others, that I am the sort of person entitled to make them and perhaps able to guarantee their truth, that you are the kind of person worth making them to, that something useful is accomplished by making them, and so on.

4 Likes

That nutbag’s speech pattern screams I’M ON DRUGS LOOK AT ME I’M HIGH WHEEEEE. Good grief.

2 Likes

Maybe Trump is The One and has broken through the Matrix.

10 Likes

17 Likes

It’s worse. I’m convinced it’s a kind of addiction. It’s a willful ignorance that comes about because believing the lie produces a sense of pleasure, a gee-aren’t-I-clever sensation, and thus the person seeks out that sensation again and again. The bigger the lie, the more work it takes to believe it, the bigger the gee-aren’t-I-clever sensation.

It’s worse than dementia, because it’s not something that just happened to them when they weren’t looking, something that took them by surprise. This is something that each of them actively reaches for.

16 Likes

We’re all making jokes about it here, and fair enough. But the bigger problem is that this is much too far along to fight with jokes and I really have NO IDEA what to do about it.

I’m trying to make twitter bots that challenge racism (inspired by: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/11/17/this-researcher-programmed-bots-to-fight-racism-on-twitter-it-worked/ ) but I’m worried maybe it’s too late. I really don’t know what to do.

13 Likes

What proof do you have the edit icon exists? I’ve heard people say it doesn’t.

14 Likes

“There are no facts, only interpretations.” “Perceptions ARE reality.” “There is no such thing as objective truth.” These were the ideas that were drummed into my young mind by my professors at college. Is it so surprising that somebody is finally putting them into use?

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s a real downside to post-modernist circlejerking.

14 Likes

Facts don’t change due to someone’s different interpretation. To say there’s no facts is to give up on the idea of there being a real world.

14 Likes

Well… I for one cannot recall hearing about this Scottie Nell Hughes before. Perhaps she does not wield any particular kind of power, or hold views that are necessarily in line with any particular “strategy”? Perhaps this will be the last we hear of her? Perhaps?

1 Like

Words in papers, words in books
Words on TV, words for crooks
Words of comfort, words of peace
Words to make the fighting cease
Words to tell you what to do
Words are working hard for you
Eat your words but don’t go hungry
Words have always nearly hung me

12 Likes

Unfortunately, like many ideas that get drummed into college minds, it seems that Trump’s group just read the cliff notes version and then thought they understood everything.

Either that, or they’ve been listening to too many self-help tapes about how what you believe becomes reality. I don’t think we’ll really know unless he starts using “quantum” a lot in his speeches.

Yeah, unfortunately I’ve been thinking about just this kind of problem all day. Haven’t gotten very far on something to do about it beyond some things to pull out in one-to-one conversations.

7 Likes

Oh hey, it’s like religion except the “atheists” have actual proof that God doesn’t exist.

EDIT

Oh God, it keeps going on and on… Why does this post stop the quotes so early? This is horrific! I’m in the 21st minute and she is saying that the NFL is biased against Trump, journalists may present facts but people know their opinion is also written in the article so the facts are meaningless, that “illegals” is a factual description of undocumented immigrants even if it’s not a noun (nouns are opinions), and quotes a non-existent source claiming 2.4 million illegal immigrants voted in the 2014 election.

3 Likes